“Santiago's vacation in the Dominican Republic” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hodelpa Gran Almirante Hotel & Casino

Hodelpa Gran Almirante Hotel & Casino
Queens Village, New York
“Santiago's vacation in the Dominican Republic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a very nice hotel right in the middle of the city of Santiago. It is a four star hotel. It is very clean and big. The food is excellent. Complimentary breakfast throughout your stay. The hotel has five floors with a pool on the fourth floor. It has a gym and a mini spa where you can get massages. I had a good time. It is fifteen minutes from the airport.

Room Tip: Stay on higher floors the ones overlooking the main street which is Estrella Sadhla.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cynthia P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Gainesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Hi to everybody, My name is Alex Aguilar and I'd love to tell everybody about my experience at this hotel; I came here to my brother's weding and I had a blast...!!! beautyful place, very nice service and the food... mmmm awesome... unfortunately because all the attention we gave to the weding I lost a couple of my bags, so inmediately I got in contact with the hotel when I was in Virginia and I called them.... man.... what a team..... they took this problem like if it was a life treatment case.... thank you very much to all of you specially to Mr. Manuel Bonilla (Security Manager), he took the time to call me and kept me informed of the whole prosses of investigation, sent me some pictures of the person who took my bags adn problem was resolved, thank you very much Mr. Bonilla and I hope you keep up the excellent job you are doing. and if anybody have any question or concern, please feel free to cantact me at (571)458-9755.

Sincerely: Alex Aguilar.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Alex A
Martinsville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

My room was large and very clean, but it didn't have a window so I felt very boxed in. May be something you want to request. The pool was a nice area with beds to lay down and get some sun. There was also a pool bar that had great drinks. There was a bar in the lobby area as well that was kinda small, but the food was great there as well. The breakfast buffet had some great options and was very fresh. The casino was very large & a good time! There are a few places to walk to eat as well that were safe, and a TGI Friday's just next door. Felt very safe! There is also someone in the lobby that can help arrange tours or activities to do. Wifi also worked very well!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a window! They do not all have them.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank kkeith34
hoteleshodelpa, Ecommerce Coordinator at Hodelpa Gran Almirante Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Mrs.Kkeith34,

We are very pleased to know you had a remarkable time. We take pride in the cleanliness through the hotel and are glad to know you enjoyed our food and beverages as well. We apologize for not notifying about the windowless room at the time of check in, we will take note and make sure we notify other guests to avoid inconvenience.
Thank you for your feedback and for choosing Hodelpa Gran Almirante, we hope to have you again in the near future.
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel three times over the past couple of years as I occasionally travel to the DR for business. The Gran is close to my companies facility there so this is where we stay. I have enjoyed all of my stays here. The staff is very courteous and most of them speak very passible English. The rooms are decent and clean and I would say this is just as nice as a Marriott or Hilton that you might stay at in the States. I would recommend this hotel if you need to stay in Santiago.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Nathan K
Jacksonville, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

First impressions didn't go very far. The front desk staff was very cordial and welcoming upon check-in, and the chilled towels and champagne offered hinted at a wonderful stay. I was taken aback, however, when I entered my room as I couldn't immediately figure out what was odd about it. The furnishings were dated and 2-3 star caliber--not quite what I expected for a 4-star property--but I finally realized there was NO WINDOW! I don't recall ever having a hotel room with no window. Severely obstructed views, perhaps, but this was like an inside cabin of a cruise ship. A blessing it probably was as the street noise was incredibly loud and the views from other parts of the hotel were often of the hotel's and other buildings' rooftops littered with piles of construction debris (which looked more permanent than temporary). I will say that the room had excellent A/C so I did have a very quiet and comfortable couple of nights' sleep.

The pool area (including the bar) was nice and relaxing with good views of distant landscapes. The gym houses a couple of treadmills, a bike, some benches and free weights, and a couple of universal machines. Although the equipment is old and not especially well maintained, it was adequate enough for me to perform my usual workouts. A couple of restaurants just a short walk from the hotel (Pedro and La Bolognese) really impressed. The hotel's breakfast buffet consisted of both cold and hot items--but I stuck to cereal and yogurt as they were the most appetizing.

I will definitely stay here again when I return on business. If this is about the best hotel Santiago has to offer, I won't even consider staying anywhere else for fear of what I might end up with. This may be 4-star for Santiago but it's not the 4-star caliber I've experienced in other parts of the world. It could be, however, with some major updating, repairs, clean-up, and better attention to detail.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jaxandmci
Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Gran Almirante offers great services, spacious rooms that are well apportioned, clean and inviting. I would suggest exploring the hotel if you plan on returning and finding a room not over the casino. The experience will be peaceful and relaxing. The roof-top pool, cabanas and bar offer drinks fresca, an outstanding massage therapist who my fiance swears is the "best ever. Both concierges are knowledgable and will overextend themselves beyond shift changes to meet your needs. The airlines misplaced my luggage and they really worked with the carrier for quick recovery and placement in my room. Room safes are electronic and not room-key based for added security. I was impressed with staff friendliness. I found that although I do not speak Spanish fluently, the staff appreciate you trying, and if you can't communicate there is always someone there who can interpret for you. I had three disappointments at the hotel. First, the interior hallways appear worn and in need of attention; second, a deposit is required with the reservation and room rates fluctuate from reasonable for a service-centered hotel to exorbitant. It would be nice if return guest rates were available. Lastly, the nearby casino draws a bevy of beautiful provacative dressed chicas who hang out in the lobby in a less-than-discrete wait to accompany guests into the casino. Even though my grandson spent most of the evening in the lobby perfectly satisfied with the hotel, Gran Almirante may not cater to conservative families with teens unless management worked to be more discrete in this area.

Room Tip: Distant from casino noise and vibration.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Robert M
vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel in December 2013 for 5 nights we were a group of 12 and had 4 rooms al together. The rooms are large and well decorated the hotel itself is decent with a very nice pool and lobby area. But the hallways are in need of major repair carpet and paint things like that. We found the price very high because the price we received when we booked was not including the locals taxes of 28% which they never informed us where not included it was a huge shock when we checked out and they price was all of a sudden 28 % higher. The staff was nice and accommodating.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank munecap
hoteleshodelpa, Ecommerce Coordinator at Hodelpa Gran Almirante Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Mr. Mencap

Thank you for choosing Hodelpa Hotels during you visit to Santiago. We are still in the process of renovating our property to enhance our guest experiences but certainly would like to apologize on behalf of the Hodelpa family for these details. We will be mending our carpets and painting the walls as we go along.
About the non inclusive tax on the room rate we have made a point to highlighting this information on our webpage as well as online travel agencies, but will certainly appreciate the name of the website where you reserved to make sure the information is stated .