“Very small rooms”

Platino Hotel & Casino
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I tried a few hotels in the Santiago area and this hotel had the smallest rooms out of all of them. The staff was friendly. The bathrooms were very small and a few days I did not have any hot water. The food was average and there is a casino next door. The great about this hotel is the location but I feel for what I got out of the room,it is over priced and I compare it below a Holiday Inn by standards

Room Tip: Maybe they have larger rooms but they were booked when I was there. I just like more space.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank fred b
There are newer reviews for Platino Hotel & Casino

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Our stay was comfortable and staff was great! The location is central to all. Within close proximity to the airport and other tourist attractions. The hotel included breakfast but places to have lunch and dinner were within walking distance. Literally within the same block.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Rrajatabla
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We found the staff helpful but not cooperative. The rooms were small and the shower is just big enough to get your body in and the shower head is not flexible. There is a moist smell in all of the rooms, we asked to view two rooms but they were the same.
The restaurant staff were advised that breakfast was to be prompt in the mornings as we were attending a convention. They said they open at 7.00am but the food took 30 minutes to provide, we saw our friends leave with-out breakfast due to staff not being ready on time.
Even though we found the staff welcoming, if you raise an issue they are very defensive and are not prepared to ask a senior member of staff for advise. There is no manager on site so you just have to bite the bullet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ray461
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a busy avenue in Santiago in front of a university. It have all the thins you my need or want but not as perfect. Room's are small not even for a single person the 2 one that they gave me was ok but still small for my taste pillows are too big and hard. Breakfast was included in the price but was bad. Rooms are no icy sine floors have tiles in all areas and you can b hear people walking at late times at night and speaking loud. This need to be fix. I will not recommend lower floors upstairs floors are more expensive and don't have Internet access.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Have stayed there several times over the years. As others have noted the service is good. The desk attendants usually have at least one person who speaks English. The rooms that I stayed in were usually on the lowest level or the 1st floor. They are small, the bathrooms are very small. The AC's poured cold air right down on top of the beds, ok if it is at the foot end of the bed, otherwise one can either bundle up or turn off the AC...then it warms up quickly. The beds are usually double size, even tho I was told they were queen size. Not quite the case. Maybe the rooms on the upper stories are nicer but what I've experienced are in need of some updating. What I really liked/like about staying is the large grounds area at the rear of the building. Nice green space about an acre or more with a gazebo and benches and trees. Great spot to read a book or drink a little wine. Also is right across the street from one of the best universities in the country. Great spot to stroll around and take in what is a beautiful campus. It is also only about 3 blocks down the street from Pricesmart, very much on the order of a Sam's Club in the USA. A $25.00 membership is required to buy items...but they have a great lunch counter that doesn't require a membership to patronize. My wife won't stay at the Platino anymore but I will still stay there once in a while. The place isn't quite as nice as they want to be perceived by their advertising.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ghanson55
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and it had everything that I needed. The room was cleaned and items replenished every day. The Front Desk was very nice and accommodating and took care of everything that I needed. I can't comment on their English as I spoke Spanish, as most should if they travel to a Latin country. The minibar was stocked and very cheap and it even had toiletries such as toothbrushes and deodorant for sale. The room was on the small side, but was perfect for what I needed as I was only there to sleep. The only downside is the size of the bathroom as I could barely use the toilet unless the door was completely closed. Overall, I will definitely stay here again as it is very affordable and delivers plenty for the price.

Room Tip: I chose the standard room and even though it was on the small side, had everything that I needed.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I stay at the Hotel for 5 nights at the begining of June and I had a good experience at the Hotel. The staff is willing to help you in any way possible that they can. The restaurant staff is excellent and the food was very good for those use to eating the Dominican dishes. If you are planing visting the city I would recomend not renting a car as the local drivers is Santiago are wild. Instead I hire a local Taxi driver name Francisco which was an older gentlemen that also happen to be bilingual. If needed his cell phone number is 809 399 6767 and he provides excellent service and is very professional at what he does.

Room Tip: If the power goes out it the genarators start right away and you need to turn your AC on again.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family