“A real special treat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
“A real special treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012 via mobile

Just visited Jakes in Treasure Beach, Jamaica. It is a real gem. Everything about the place is unique. You can feel the personal touch of Sally and Jason Henzell. Sally is an amazing art director ("The Harder They Come") and her quirky attention to details can be seen everywhere. Rooms are romantic and comfortable with ceiling fans and gentle sea breezes. Situated in a quiet community, the hotel offers a base from which to experience to charm of rural Jamaica.

We spent time at Duggie's little bar and Jack Sprats restaurant. Walked to the fishing village at Callabash Bay and enjoyed the white sand beach. Treasure Beach is just a little off the beaten path, but turned out to be well worth the effort to reach. No packaged tourists here.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arthur G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Jake's was amazing. We stayed in a standard ocean view room for five nights at Jake's and it was amazing. The staff is amazing! At the end of our stay they were like good friends. We hired drivers to go to the local sites, and they were so knowledgable and helpful. We got massages at the Driftwood Spa and the view was breathtaking.

FYI - There was no A/C in our room, but we enjoyed that. It's a rustic down to earth place, and it's a great place to disconnect from it all.

Room Tip: OCEAN VIEW room is a must.
1 Thank quetzal61
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

My sister and I wanted a totally relaxing and chilled-out experience for a few days and this is exactly what we got at Jake's. We stayed in Calabash cottage, a secluded, rustic villa with its own beach area, and had an excellent break.
Jake's staff are extremely friendly and accommodating,the food is tasty and imaginative and the whole atmosphere is laid-back and gently re-energising.
Can't wait to go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rowena C
Los Angeles, CA, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

If you are a fan of the movie HARDER THEY COME starring Jimmy Cliff then then you will pleased to know that the couple Perry & Sally Hanzel created this unique Hotel.

The colourful houses that are scattered on this garden beach front property are just devine, each with their own charm.

It attracts an interesting crowd because of this history and style. I would love to come to come back to the Calabash writers festival that they host.

I wished that there was a basic fitness room as I did not want to run on the road and the food was so good I needed to work it off a bit!

Room Tip: We ended up upgrading from the Tiki 1 room that was on the north side of the property I was disappo...
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Jake's is a breath of fresh air! Four nights and a day was just the right amount of time to really enjoy the hotel and area.

The food is amazing. Chef Doctor makes the most amazing jerk beef tenderloin! The fresh fruit juices and desserts are authentic and delicious.

Dougie really gets to know you and enjoys your company at the bar. All the staff are kind and helpful. We felt safe, cared for and at home.

We stayed in Octopus 1, which was a huge treat for our anniversary, but if I were return I would stay in one of the more modest accommodations. Octopus 1 was beautiful. The views from the upper and lower deck were amazing, the outdoor shower and bathtub were awesome and the bed comfortable.

The area of Treasure Beach felt safe and we spent a lot of time hiking along the beaches, walking the neighborhood and getting to know the locals.

We took a trip to YS Falls and also had a transfer back to the airport both with Jake's driver Richard. He is the best driver, so accommodating, friendly, funny and I know my husband and I would oth consider hima friend. I highly suggest if you chose to use a driver from Jake's to request Richard!

We had the privilege of meeting Jason Henzell, the owner of Jake's, who is very personable and interested in meeting his guests.

And be sure to visit Jack Sprat's while staying at Jake's. The food is also excellent..pizza, fried chicken and the fried fish to die for. The music is great, the local folks hang there too and the little beach is sweet there too for a swim or a cruise along the shore to look for shells and coral!
Overall it was an amazing visit and I would most certainly loe to return to the community of Treasure Beach someday!

Room Tip: Although the luxury of the octopusssy suites re ideal, any of the sea facing rooms would be amazing...
1 Thank HeatherThurber
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I went to Jake's on a long weekend alone, specifically to attend the Farm to Table Dinner. If someone were to tell me in advance that it would be the most incredible trip to Jamaica I would ever have, I would have rolled my eyes. This was my 6th trip to Jamaica and I've stayed in luxury homes in the mountains, small inns on the beach, all-inclusive properties, and even moderately priced villas. I would not have imagined that my charming two-room suite would open to a sprawling lawn, then the sea. I would not have imagined that the staff were more concerned about me putting up my laptop and enjoying the ocean, than I was. The staff made me feel that that their primary concern was that I was enjoying myself, not only on the grounds of the beautiful resort, but that I take full advantage of the natural beauty that Treasure Beach has to offer.

If you go, try to book during the Farm to Table dinner. Jason and Laura, the owners, make you feel as if they've invited you to their home for a very special dinner party on the beach. You will also get a rich history and education on issues of sustainable food and food security that effects local farmers the economy.

I already loved Jamaica, but this trip was truly unforgettable!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Tiki rooms and had an ocean view (from the sitting area) for a fraction of the cost...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Anikagf
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Jake's is a 'boutique' style hotel with rooms arranged as separate cabins and villas around a central area with a lounge, restaurant, bar and salt-water pool. All of the rooms are fairly quirky with things like glass bottles and colourful tiling built into the structure of the rooms. What really struck us about Jake's though is how friendly the place is. We got talking to many of the other guests and the staff are so friendly and helpful from the barman up to the owner (Jason). Treasure Beach itself is a laid back gem, with lovely beaches and a really relaxed feel. Food at the restaurant is a little pricey but Jack Sprat's next door (owned by Jake's) and Frenchman's Reef up the road provide cheaper, tasty food.

Several other hotels we stayed at were a little snotty about Jake's claiming it's overrated, but after staying I think they don't really get it - hotel's aren't just about facilities and Jake's thrives by its quirky attention to detail and the charm of its staff. That said if you prefer chain style hotels and/ or looking for somewhere where you'll be left to yourself you might want to look elsewhere (we all want different things out of our holiday). Our stay in Jake's and Treasure Beach was probably the highlight of our trip though.

Room Tip: We took the cheapest room ('Conch' I believe). This was actually very nice but was the close...
1 Thank Ed D
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Marblue Villa Suites
Marblue Villa Suites
#2 of 5 in Treasure Beach

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!