“Visit to 'Old Jamaica'”

Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Arriving at Jakes was a bit of a shock. This was the last place we were staying and first impressions were mixed.
However after 5 days we have fallen in love with this place.
The whole resort has a 1970's feel. If you want pristine then jakes is probably not your place. However if you want individuality then it most definitely is.
The staff are all friendly and within a very short space of time you feel how important Jakes is to the whole of the local community. As a result you feel that you are contributing to the whole area.
The rooms are functional and if you are beside the sea you have a very special place to stay.
The food was good quality throughout our stay at both the restaurant and Jack Spratts.
Our trips out with Captain Dennis to Black River, Pelican Bar will long live in the memory.
Overall not the 'best' resort we have ever stayed in in respect of bedrooms, pool, but overall taking in the overall ambience, position by the sea, people and food, anyone who wants to see old fashioned values at first hand would love this place

Room Tip: Ones by the sea are worth the premium
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard I

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We were in Jamaica for 16 days and left Jakes for the last three days of our vacation , witch looking back now after being there we should have book it for a week of our holidays. The minute you get there you know its special, the front desk is a small Colonial Cottage dark wooden floors , brightly painted walls , low lighting and lots of paintings hanging (very Key West).We stayed in the Mussels cottage a three bedroom villa for seven of us, you walk in for the first time and you dont want to leave ever, it had all the Bells and Whistles you could emagine. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is in a court yard by reception but the best part is it looks out over the pool and the sea. There is Dougies Bar run by the coolest guy you will ever meet called Duggy! They own another sea front bar and resteruant called Jack Sprat just a few minutes walk next door Jakes, a very cool place to hang out and mix with the locals and hotel guest..We did one trip to Pelican Bar a most see probaly the best bar in the world, we use captain Dennis to get there (ask the front desk to book him)

Room Tip: mussels villa the only place to stay ....
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank fletch305
Reviewed 11 November 2013

By far the most memorable place we stayed at during our one week island tour in Jamaica. The landscape is unique, the hotel is clean and friendly. The moment we stepped in the hotel and had our refreshing drink by the sea we felt like we arrived to paradise! Our only problem was with the internet connection, I think it is not okay for a hotel of this quality to be unable to repair connection in 2 days. Anyway, I can only recommend and hope to be back one day!

2  Thank Muttley81
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was my 2nd stay at Jakes and again was an excellent experience. Treasure Beach itself is very nice, laid back, and not a typical resort area. The room at Jakes was comfortable with a view from the patio/deck directly onto the waves below! The food at the two restaurants is excellent & a good value. The staff are friendly & helpful. Highly recommended!

3  Thank ST2001
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Jakes is a funky, unique and relaxing place to stay. At least after you arrive there. It was a 2.5 hour “E ticket” ride from the airport to Jakes. The driver, Richard, was friendly and an excellent driver. The ride started in warm weather, then is poured, then we had to cross a flooded road, then drive through narrow, pot holed roads. We enjoyed the ride as that is part of the fun and adventure of going to Jamaica.

The ocean view room we had would be categorized as ocean front at most hotels. It was unique. There are wine bottles coming out of the walls. A pad lock is used to lock the door to the room. When the door is open, there is a gorgeous ocean view.

The food at both restaurants was good. One restaurant caters to guests. It is quiet and relaxing. The other restaurant has a mix of guests and local residents. It has a “this is life in Jamaica” feel.

Within an hour drive radius, Jakes arranged transportation (we requested Richard as the driver) to the Black River, YS Falls, Appleton Rum Factory and Little Ochie restaurant. All of these activities were memorable.

Our stay at Jakes was a nice combination of activities, relaxation and good food with a local Jamaican charm.

3  Thank lt_in_ca
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our recent trip to Jakes was awesome! We have traveled all over Jamaica and stayed in many types of resorts. This was the most unique and authentic Jamaican experience we have had. The people were so friendly, the area was very safe and quiet. The landscape was different from other areas on the island. We loved the different cottages at Jakes. They all felt very private and romantic. We were fortunate to meet the owner, Jason. He was a gracious host and went out of his way to make our trip exceptional!He has accomplished a great deal for the community of Treasure Beach. We will be back! Take extra time to get there! Their driver will pick you up in MBJ and you will love the scenery over the mountains! All of the staff are the nicest Jamaicans!What a special place!

Room Tip: All of the ocean front rooms are so worth it! The honeymoon suites are so amazing with outdoor showe...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jamerician
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I could talk for hours about how much I loved this place! I have told SO many people about Jake's, & I really, really can't wait to go back.
I don't want to bore you, so I'll try to just tell you the important parts!

I traveled to Jake's with my husband for our anniversary. It's actually not the sort of hotel that I would normally choose - it's quiet, relaxing - there are no TVs & limited WiFi (this would usually be my idea of a nightmare), but something seemed nice about it, the rooms looked great & it was great value, so I booked & I am SO glad that I did!

When we first arrived in Jamaica, we were picked up at the airport by a driver that we booked through Jake's. It's about a 2 hour car ride to the hotel, that sucks - I hate being in a car...but it's Jamaica & there isn't another way, so oh well! Our driver was friendly, helpful, answered lots of questions & genuinely wanted to chat & give us information about Jamaica & the culture.

We arrived at Jake's & it was beautiful! Everyone was friendly, our room was lovely. We crashed as soon as we arrived - tired from all the travel & the room was so cozy! :)
One snag with the room was that it was HOT! We were there in the middle of the summer, so I was expecting it to be hot in Jamaica & we booked a room with AC, but it wasn't the freezing cold air that I needed! I hated to do it, but we asked to be moved to a different room. The staff were really helpful with this, offered to show us a few other rooms & we changed rooms with no issues at all.
Our next room was right on the water, so we didn't need AC. We slept with the doors & windows open & it was great!! This room had an outdoor shower - which I LOVED! A little deck that we could sit out on & look at the water. It really was perfect.
At first I was a little worried that I would get bored being there for 5 days....this wasn't the case at all.
The pool area is gorgeous. the bar is great & the drinks are priced fairly.
The food was great! There is also a restaurant on the property that was fun & had good pizza (Jack Sprat Seafood and Pizza).
We also arranged for a lovely private dinner on the night of our anniversary.

Jake's is in a small beach town, it's quiet & there isn't a ton of stuff to do, but we easily arranged a couple of day trips through the hotel. We requested the driver that picked us up from the airport because he was so helpful. We went to the Appleton Estate Rum Tour (Awesome) & YS falls (don't miss it!)
& we also took a bike tour of the area one day (SO not me...but I loved it!), again, the tour guide was someone we met at the hotel, told us about his tour, he was so nice we couldn't refuse! It was great, really fun! He told us all about the area, it was a nice bike ride that ended at a beautiful beach & we went for a swim. lovely!
Another fun spot is Pelican Bar. It's about 30 mins away from Jake's in the middle of the Ocean. Really cool spot to have a beer! I didn't eat here, but everyone raves about the food.
You can easily arrange a boat to take you to Pelican Bar - again, the service was great!! We used Captain Dennis & highly recommend him. The ONE time it rained during our vacation was during our boat ride to Pelican bar! It was still so much fun!

If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, Treasure Beach is the place for you. & in my opinion, Jake's is the only place to stay. Everything was clean & the staff were SO nice.
There is also a room for every price point - from a no-fuss basic room, a house to share with friends or family, or your own private villa.

By the time we left we were actually sad to be leaving - I know it's always sad to end a vacation, but it felt like everyone there had become our friends!
We have been planning our trip back since we left!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
SeaGarden Beach Resort
SeaGarden Beach Resort
#25 of 63 in Montego Bay
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!