“We love Jake's!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Los Angeles, California
“We love Jake's!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Jake's in February. The only negative thing about our trip was that it was too short! Our wonderful driver, Andre, picked us up from our hotel in Kingston and pointed out all the sites on the way to Jake's. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted with smiles and fresh juice. We were escorted to our room and were thrilled to see the beach front view and two chaise lounge chairs on our private beach area.

Our room came with an outdoor shower, which we loved! During our stay, we dined at the restaurant a few times, for both breakfast and dinner and enjoyed some pool side drinks from Dougie's Bar after. The food was fantastic every time. We were fortunate enough to arrive on the night of the Farm Dinner. Due to rain earlier in the day, the venue was moved to the owners' house. They were so gracious and hospitable, and of course, the food was so delicious! What a memorable night we had!

We took a cooking class during our stay, where we got to make jerk chicken and rice and peas (and thoroughly enjoyed the fruits of our labor afterward). We also got to be a part of a video that was filmed for the Treasure Beach version of Pharrell's Happy video. What a great souvenir! We spent quite a few hours lounging over at Jack Sprat, which is a bar/restaurant at the end of the property. The food was good and the staff was wonderful. We also did an excursion to the Pelican Bar. Our boat driver Bernard was great. The Pelican Bar is a must!

Our last day there was my birthday. I visited the spa for a deep tissue massage. The ocean breeze flowed through the open windows and added to the peaceful, wonderful experience. Yvonne, the property manager, gave me a birthday hug as we said farewell. I can't think of one thing that would have made our trip any better, and I can't express how wonderful the entire staff was. They made us feel like family. We were sad to leave, but there is no doubt that we will be heading back to Jake's again someday!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Christina,

Thank you for your kind comments and it was a pleasure to have you and your friend stay with us. You guys were such good sports doing the "Happy Treasure Beach" video with us! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated the uniqueness of Jakes and Treasure Beach. We believe we are in a very special community and is always happy to share with all our visitors.

Thank you again for coming and we look forward to seeing you both again next time!
Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Kingston
Reviewed 10 June 2014

K this was a surprise birthday trip for my Hubby's 60th. I must admit the drive there is LONG and the roads are NOT good. Get a reputable driver!!! and tell him you aren;t in a hurry.
the cottages are amazing. We stayed in the lowest price cottage the little blue one near the restaurant and the bar and it overlooked the pool and ocean. I would like to take that cottage back home with me. You couldn't get anything better than that. You will need the mosquito net as mosses are bad, particularly at Jack Sprat. I got bit terrible there and I am one that hardly ever gets bit ( don't wear repellent at all)
the views are amazing, its a laid back vibe (if only it wasn't such a dangerous road I'd be going back) food is great, pricey somethings, bought our own wine, so didn;t buy anything but beer, fridge in room was a great idea, buy fruit locally, we did and bought cheese bread so good, and a jar of jam etc for breakie so saved there. Coffee maker in room, very good!!!! Did I say the views were amazing, hammocks abound, lazy pathways to meander, reserve the little pavilion right on the water for a private dinner, no extra charge. so private and they light it all up, so romantic, you have your own waiter. So absolutely special. Jakes is wonderful, so out of the box, they deserve to be recognized. Just wish I could afford the chopper to get there.
Rooms for every size of family… would love to stay out over the water but cost was just too much/
You can walk safely all around, go beach after beach down the coast, its surreal. One of the most unusual and delightful places I have ever stayed with REALLy wonderful staff.
Love you Jakes, but until I can afford a helicopter I won't be back.

Room Tip: Rooms are costly, no food included etc. but can be quite reasonable depending on time of year. Lov...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freddiemac1
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire Jakes family we would like to thank you for staying with us in the special "Conch" room. It is one of the first room to be built over 21 years ago at Jakes. You can feel the love that went into building it by the owner/designer Sally Henzell.
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your time with us and really hope you will come back again. I would like to mention that another alternative to getting to us beside the roads and helicopter is by a small plane. We have an small airstrip 10 minutes from Jakes called the Loinel Demsham Aerodrome. It is approximately half the cost of the helecopter. Booking can be done directly with us. So thats something to consider as we would love to see you again! Another option is if you book accommodations in the low season (June - December) excluding public holidays, our rates are lower and we can offer a free upgrade based on availability.
Thank you again for coming! Yvonne Clarke - Resident Manager
Brookline, MA
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I had the most fantastic vacation ever at Jake's. It is a lovely, peaceful place with the kindest staff members you can imagine. It is perfect for solitude if you need it, romance if you have a partner, or with a group of friends. I would not take kids- not enough to do and strong undertow in the water. Keep this as an adult place- well worth it!!!

I would go back immediately if I could. Stay in a room right on the water- you will not regret the extra cost. It is absolutely worth it. I will return as soon as I can. Great food, wonderful people- a real find! It is a very special place but NOT for people looking for fancy resorts with all inclusive type set ups, themed dining experiences, etc. like you will find in the big cities. It is funky, unique, special, and unlike any place I have been before. You can plan day trips to very special places but it will take some effort. The beauty of Jake's is that you can be happy, comfortable, and peaceful right there- alone or together.

Room Tip: Choose the most expensive rooms- honeymoon suites or Seapuss rooms that are totally private and righ...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Brooklinemom2013
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest,
The Jakes would like to sincerely thank you for choosing Jakes as your holiday destination. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the true Jakes experience.
Jakes and the Treasure Beach area is a very special place and we work hard to keep its authenticity and uniqueness. We at Jakes believe is sustainability, hence our support for local farmers, fisher folks, local schools, sports ect. Treasure Beach is the home of community tourism and all visitors to the area really enjoy this experience.

We welcome a variety of visitors from couples families, singles, no age limits and we treat them all like good friends, of which they become repeat guest.
Our coast is unspoilt and can be rugged. Our ocean is clean and can be rough depending on the time of year. However, there are manay beaches to choose from in the area within walking distance. Jack Sprat is very safe beach for families and small children. There is a Life Guard on duty daily and the beach has a natural reef and bouys so that swimmers will know how far it is safe to swim out.
We look forward to seeing you again sometime. Until then, walk good and thanks again for coming.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at Calabash Cottage just down the road from Jake's main property- my sisters and I brought my mom on her first vacation since 1982. The place was amazing with a private beach and a full kitchen. The food at Jake's was so good that we didn't cook much and the prices were decent. This spot is about as far from a crowded resort as you can imagine- the starts at night are not blotted out by city lights and the area around Treasure Beach was safe enough that you can walk around after dark without too much worry. The cottage is fairly basic and self-serve but everything was really clean and each bed had fresh sheets and bug nets as well as decent wi-fi for no extra charge.

Local tours and information were easily available in the main office and the local people were incredibly welcoming and helpful. I have been to 23 countries and this spot is in my top 5, for sure. The only tricky bit was getting there as it is on the south side of the island. We rented a car but if you aren't comfortable with driving on the left, then hiring a driver or a cab might be a better option. If you contact Jake's ahead of time, they will help you organize a ride.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amydoodledaw
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

The Jakes family would like to thank you so much for choosing Jakes as your holiday destination. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will come back again.

Treasure Beach is a very special place and we are proud of this unspolit side of Jamaice. We were very happy to share the true Jamaican experience with you and hoped you left us felling relaxed and rejunivated.

Please come again!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The trek to Treasure Beach from Montego Bay was quite challenging as one would expect given the journey of 2.5 - 3 hours on narrow, bumpy roads. However, it was completely worth it.

My family and I spent 4 days here over the memorial day weekend and it was the perfect atmosphere to unwind and recharge.

The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. We stayed in a 3 bedroom villa that opens out to an over-sized balcony with an amazing view of the ocean ( Mussels). The rooms and bathrooms were quite large and the kitchen functional though it lacked a microwave, a major inconvenience when travelling with young children.

The food was wonderful and I particularly enjoyed their blended juices. I actually loved the Jamaican style meals, particularly breakfast which was quite filling, but I do think there was a lack of variety at times. Jack Sprat restaurant offered amazing jerk chicken, fish and festival.

The spa was excellent and offered great packages.

I was concerned about the lack of security fencing along the cliffs. Even though a fence might take away from the natural beauty, safety should be a priority. A person can easily fall into the ocean or unto the rocks below, so I was very vigilant with my children.

I wasn't impressed with the surrounding beaches. They were just ok.

Overall and excellent experience and I will return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mskradtravel
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire Jakes family i would like to thank you sincerely for choosing Jakes as your family destination. It was a pleasure to have you and yor family stay with us and we are delighted that you enjoyed a great vacation. It is our vision, to provide the warmest customer service and community experience in the world.
Treasure Beach is a very special and unspoilt place in Jamaica and we would like to kjeep it that way. We agree that it is quite a challenge to get to us by road and as such over the past few years we have incooperated a small air strip, "Loinel Demsham Aerodrome" which is about 10 minutes drive from Jakes. Small 3 - 9 seater planes can land there and one of our drivers at Jakes will meet our guests and them transfer them to and from Jakes. We will organize upon request.

Our beaches within the surrounding area of Treasure Beach are natural and not man made. However, i must admit that during certain time of the year they can be a bit choppy. Our staff are always happy to advise which beach is the safest and best for swimming. Our Jack Sprat Restaurant has a great beach for families and is a great spot to hang out.

Thank you so much again for coming and we hope to see you again sometime!

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at Jakes for five days in April, and thoroughly relaxed and rejuvenated. We practiced yoga daily, had a beautiful seaside massage, rode mountain bikes through the countryside, and found a variety of stunning private beaches. Our room was comfortable and whimsically decorated. All of the staff at Jakes and at the next-door jack Sprats were calm and friendly as well as professional. I encourage you to spend time in Treasure Beach, as it was so different from the more raucous Negril.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Psydoc63
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,

The Jakes family would like to sincere;\ly thank you for choosing Jakes as your holiday destination and is humbled by your kind comments. We are happy that you enjoyed your vacation as it is our aim to ensure all our guests has a comfprtable stay and feel like they were staying with good friends.

We are glad that you appreciate our support to local farmers and fishermen as to ensure our guests enjoy the freshest and best food. We will continue to work hard and support our local community so that our guests will enjoy the best of community tourism in Treasure Beach.

Thanks again for coming!

Until next time.

Resident manager
NJ
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Over the past 4 years, I heard so much about this hidden gem, Jake's. This year I had the opportunity to go with my mother and 2 young sons. It was nothing short of lovely.

Treasure Beach is a tucked away paradise. Jake's does a wonderful job of building around the natural beauty. From the moment you enter under the sweet, little Jake's sign, past the old car, you are put at absolute ease. The pictures don't do it justice.

The staff were warm and willing to assist; from finding my mom a perfect coconut with jelly or preparing my sons' store bought pizza rolls and Kraft Mac and Cheese, I never felt like I couldn't ask.

I could go on and on... But go and have the experience for yourself!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Experiencetheworld1
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
On behalf of the Jakes family, I would like to sincerely thank you and your family for choosing Jakes as your holiday destination. Treasure Beach is truly the unspoilt side of our beautiful island Jamaica and it was a pleasure to share our one of a kind experience with you.

We are happy that you and your famiy enjoyed our vacation with us and look forward to seeing you all again sometime.

Until next time!

#3 of 5 in Treasure Beach
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!