“Jakes hotel/ Calabash Villa”

Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Jakes hotel/ Calabash Villa”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My daughter got married at Jakes in Treasure Beach and we had a fantastic time!!!!
Anike was excellent, working with us and fulfilling all my daughter's request which were many!! Whatever we requested for the wedding...she made it possible . The entire staff was amazing!!
Adina was so kind and accommodating !!! This was the most beautiful wedding, the entire experience from we got there was just awesome!! The ceremony was at Seaweed which was just so beautiful, the scenery, the setup..everything was so wonderful.
My daughter and wedding party stayed at Seaweed and my family stayed at Calabash villa and let me tell you, no one wanted to leave!!! Our weeding party with 150 guests are still sending us pictures and most are planning to revisit because they had such a wonderful time.the drive from Montego Bay is long with probably the worst roads in Jamaica but as soon as you get to Jakes you'll be in awe!! Thank you Anike and staff..we will be back!!!!!!

Room Tip: The Villas are awesome with best staff you can ever find...do everything for you!!!! The cottages c...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Miss Woulda,

It was a great pleasure to host your daughters wedding at Jakes! We are so happy that you all had a fabulous time. Even our staff enjoyed the wedding, despite having to work. Everything was so beautiful and will be remembered for a very long time.

We are delighted that your family enjoyed the Seaweed & Calabash Villas. Our staff are very attentive and curteous and we are happy that they met your expectitations. We wish your daughter and her husband a long and happy life together!

Please come again. Until next time!

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Delaware
Reviewed 3 July 2014

A group of 10 rented Seaweed Villa, one of Jakes properties in mid June. What a time we had. The villa amenities, grounds, décor and staff were just what we all needed. We were all looking for a place to relax and recharge and Seaweed hit the spot. From the time we arrived till the time we left everything was perfect. We had the entire villa and never ran out of things to do. From swimming in the pool, to relaxing in the hot tub or chilling on the mostly private beach, there was always someway to entertain ourselves. There are satellite TVs in every room, pool table in the basement, sound system that covers the entire grounds, numerous seating areas that all have 280 degree view of the Caribbean and a nice breeze to keep you cool. The staff, Tasha the chef, Shaun the head butler, Sonia and Carlene of housekeeping and Pesa the gardener took perfect care of us. What great meals they prepared for us and keeping the villa clean and comfortable. The most important part about the staff was that they were there caring for us but never in the way. Amazing staff and they certainly made this stay memorable. Another thing, I wanted to mention was more about the Treasure Beach area was that my wife and I had visited the area 7 months before this stay and everyone we ran into remembered us and were actually glad to see us again and welcomed us like old friends returning home. I look forward to returning again, this is the true Jamaica.

Room Tip: All rooms have a ocean view with outside shower option. Not a bad room at the villa
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

The Jakes family sincerely thank you for choosing Jakes as your holiday destination. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your experiemce at Seaweed and Treasure Beach on a whole.

The Seaweed staff are happy that they met and exceed your expectations in a non intrusive way. We truly are blessed with very caring and attentive staff.

We believe that Treasure Beach is quite unique and we always treat our visitors like they are staying with good friends and is humbled that you appreciated that.
We look forward to seeing you again. Until next time, walk good.

Resident manager
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Fantastic place. Rough around the edges but I think that is what adds to the charm. Food lovely. Rum punch the best ever. Unfortunately there property is right on edge of rocks and there is no swimming in front of property. The beach by jack sprat needs cleaned up barb wire fence broken down and very treacherous walk to small sandy beach. I stayed in sweetlips next time might choose somewhere else as it was bit run down and grubby though views are breathtaking and it's good value for money. Shower splattered everywhere maintenance needs to be done on it and when I couldn't get lights to work in my room I waited over hour and twenty mins for someone to turn up. A little bit money needs to be spent sprucing up sweetlips. Overall though an amazing quirky place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest,
The Jakes Jakes family would like to thank you sincerely for choosing Jakes as your vacation destination. We value your business and your feedback. We apologize for the maintenance issues you experienced which was due to a lack of communication on our part.
Yes, we do agree that we are not located directly on a beach. However, there are many lovely beach within walking distance for our guests to explore. Our Jack Sprat beach has a life guard on duty daily. The barb wire along the Jack Sprat beach that you mention actually does not belong to our property. We agree its a bit unsightly and we apologize but we have no control over getting it removed. The month of June was a challenge as the sea was very rough.
We also took note on your comments regarding Sweet Lip cottage. I must mention that we are planning to do some sprucing up during our annual maintenance in October.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again. Thank you again for coming! Best wishes,
Resident manager
Mamaroneck, NY
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at Jakes in March 2014. It was a second visit for my husband and me, having stayed at Jakes some 14 years ago when it had fewer rooms and cottages and no Jack Sprats. We had long talked of taking our children and finally did, though they are now grown adults. We have three, plus one traveling with a partner, so we split up between the off-property cottage called Calabash, a ten minute walk down the main street, where the young people shared two bedrooms and a kitchen, and Cockles Up, (which is located next to the spa so not so private when yoga classes are in session) where my husband and I had a direct view of the ocean from the bed and the outdoor lounge. This worked fine, though the kids would probably have preferred staying on property. That said, the Calabash Cottage and Villa share a swimming beach, which Jake’s lacks, so we had a good time swimming there and in the pool. I’m not sure Jake’s has improved with growth, it felt slightly crowded and less personal. It really WAS a discovery 14 years ago! This time we actually felt pressure to get a table (NY style!), and were put off by the cruise boats crowds that at the Pelican Bar (not Jake’s fault but make sure you don’t go on Wednesdays or Fridays to avoid). Still, Jason the owner was very much in evidence as he was on our last visit, and much of the character and charm of the place remain - as does Dougie, who has assistants now to help him run the bar. And Jack Sprat’s is a welcome addition allowing one to alternate between the two dining spots. Our children relaxed into the “One Love” spirit of Jake’s and it was a great vacation for all

Room Tip: Cockles Up is small and hard to manage if it rains. Calabash Cottage is off property and a longer wa...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank McWarg
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for visiting us again after so many years. We really appreciate you coming back with your family. it's unfortunate that you came during a busy period, which is not usually the norm for us at this time of the year., but was happy you could reconnect with Dougie and Jason and the rest of the Jakes family. Yes, we have grown over the years but still value our repeat guests and getting to know new guests.
so glad you and your family enjoyed Jack Sprat. It is quite the hot spot of Treasure Beach! enjoyed by visitors and locals.
So sorry you didnt get the chance to enjoy Pelican Bar's experience. It is a very popular spot to hang out and it attracts visitors from the major hotels on the South and West coast of the island.
Hope we will see you again! until then, thanks again for coming. One love,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Jake's in February. The only negative thing about our trip was that it was too short! Our wonderful driver, Andre, picked us up from our hotel in Kingston and pointed out all the sites on the way to Jake's. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted with smiles and fresh juice. We were escorted to our room and were thrilled to see the beach front view and two chaise lounge chairs on our private beach area.

Our room came with an outdoor shower, which we loved! During our stay, we dined at the restaurant a few times, for both breakfast and dinner and enjoyed some pool side drinks from Dougie's Bar after. The food was fantastic every time. We were fortunate enough to arrive on the night of the Farm Dinner. Due to rain earlier in the day, the venue was moved to the owners' house. They were so gracious and hospitable, and of course, the food was so delicious! What a memorable night we had!

We took a cooking class during our stay, where we got to make jerk chicken and rice and peas (and thoroughly enjoyed the fruits of our labor afterward). We also got to be a part of a video that was filmed for the Treasure Beach version of Pharrell's Happy video. What a great souvenir! We spent quite a few hours lounging over at Jack Sprat, which is a bar/restaurant at the end of the property. The food was good and the staff was wonderful. We also did an excursion to the Pelican Bar. Our boat driver Bernard was great. The Pelican Bar is a must!

Our last day there was my birthday. I visited the spa for a deep tissue massage. The ocean breeze flowed through the open windows and added to the peaceful, wonderful experience. Yvonne, the property manager, gave me a birthday hug as we said farewell. I can't think of one thing that would have made our trip any better, and I can't express how wonderful the entire staff was. They made us feel like family. We were sad to leave, but there is no doubt that we will be heading back to Jake's again someday!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Christina,

Thank you for your kind comments and it was a pleasure to have you and your friend stay with us. You guys were such good sports doing the "Happy Treasure Beach" video with us! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated the uniqueness of Jakes and Treasure Beach. We believe we are in a very special community and is always happy to share with all our visitors.

Thank you again for coming and we look forward to seeing you both again next time!
Kingston
Reviewed 10 June 2014

K this was a surprise birthday trip for my Hubby's 60th. I must admit the drive there is LONG and the roads are NOT good. Get a reputable driver!!! and tell him you aren;t in a hurry.
the cottages are amazing. We stayed in the lowest price cottage the little blue one near the restaurant and the bar and it overlooked the pool and ocean. I would like to take that cottage back home with me. You couldn't get anything better than that. You will need the mosquito net as mosses are bad, particularly at Jack Sprat. I got bit terrible there and I am one that hardly ever gets bit ( don't wear repellent at all)
the views are amazing, its a laid back vibe (if only it wasn't such a dangerous road I'd be going back) food is great, pricey somethings, bought our own wine, so didn;t buy anything but beer, fridge in room was a great idea, buy fruit locally, we did and bought cheese bread so good, and a jar of jam etc for breakie so saved there. Coffee maker in room, very good!!!! Did I say the views were amazing, hammocks abound, lazy pathways to meander, reserve the little pavilion right on the water for a private dinner, no extra charge. so private and they light it all up, so romantic, you have your own waiter. So absolutely special. Jakes is wonderful, so out of the box, they deserve to be recognized. Just wish I could afford the chopper to get there.
Rooms for every size of family… would love to stay out over the water but cost was just too much/
You can walk safely all around, go beach after beach down the coast, its surreal. One of the most unusual and delightful places I have ever stayed with REALLy wonderful staff.
Love you Jakes, but until I can afford a helicopter I won't be back.

Room Tip: Rooms are costly, no food included etc. but can be quite reasonable depending on time of year. Lov...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freddiemac1
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire Jakes family we would like to thank you for staying with us in the special "Conch" room. It is one of the first room to be built over 21 years ago at Jakes. You can feel the love that went into building it by the owner/designer Sally Henzell.
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your time with us and really hope you will come back again. I would like to mention that another alternative to getting to us beside the roads and helicopter is by a small plane. We have an small airstrip 10 minutes from Jakes called the Loinel Demsham Aerodrome. It is approximately half the cost of the helecopter. Booking can be done directly with us. So thats something to consider as we would love to see you again! Another option is if you book accommodations in the low season (June - December) excluding public holidays, our rates are lower and we can offer a free upgrade based on availability.
Thank you again for coming! Yvonne Clarke - Resident Manager
Brookline, MA
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I had the most fantastic vacation ever at Jake's. It is a lovely, peaceful place with the kindest staff members you can imagine. It is perfect for solitude if you need it, romance if you have a partner, or with a group of friends. I would not take kids- not enough to do and strong undertow in the water. Keep this as an adult place- well worth it!!!

I would go back immediately if I could. Stay in a room right on the water- you will not regret the extra cost. It is absolutely worth it. I will return as soon as I can. Great food, wonderful people- a real find! It is a very special place but NOT for people looking for fancy resorts with all inclusive type set ups, themed dining experiences, etc. like you will find in the big cities. It is funky, unique, special, and unlike any place I have been before. You can plan day trips to very special places but it will take some effort. The beauty of Jake's is that you can be happy, comfortable, and peaceful right there- alone or together.

Room Tip: Choose the most expensive rooms- honeymoon suites or Seapuss rooms that are totally private and righ...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Brooklinemom2013
Jakeshotel, Manager at Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest,
The Jakes would like to sincerely thank you for choosing Jakes as your holiday destination. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the true Jakes experience.
Jakes and the Treasure Beach area is a very special place and we work hard to keep its authenticity and uniqueness. We at Jakes believe is sustainability, hence our support for local farmers, fisher folks, local schools, sports ect. Treasure Beach is the home of community tourism and all visitors to the area really enjoy this experience.

We welcome a variety of visitors from couples families, singles, no age limits and we treat them all like good friends, of which they become repeat guest.
Our coast is unspoilt and can be rugged. Our ocean is clean and can be rough depending on the time of year. However, there are manay beaches to choose from in the area within walking distance. Jack Sprat is very safe beach for families and small children. There is a Life Guard on duty daily and the beach has a natural reef and bouys so that swimmers will know how far it is safe to swim out.
We look forward to seeing you again sometime. Until then, walk good and thanks again for coming.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Treasure Beach
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sunset Resort & Villas
Sunset Resort & Villas
#3 of 5 in Treasure Beach

Been to Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!