“SKEEVY - WORST PLACE EVER DO NOT BOOK RESERVATIONS HERE” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Treasure Beach Hotel

Treasure Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Treasure Beach
Jersey Shore NJ
“SKEEVY - WORST PLACE EVER DO NOT BOOK RESERVATIONS HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2009

We searched for hotels online, viewing pics, prices, etc. The pics were nice. Two pools, a nice little bar, 2 restaurants, satellite TV, secluded beach just to name a few. Those amenities DO NOT EXIST.
Upon arival the evening of 12/2 the place was desolate. We were lead to our room by security who did not make us feel "secure" at all. The room was dirty, had mold spores throughout the room, spider webs across the dresser mirror, a filthy tub, and when we pulled down the bedspread the linens were not clean. The TV got 3 channels.. We had no choice but to spend the night since it was already evening. We were uncomfortable and did not feel safe at all.
The next morning we went down to check out the grounds in daylight and to have breakfast. We watned to check out the place, see the other visitors (there were no others at all) We thought perhaps we would just ask to be changed to a different room. To our surprise, we found that the chef was "not working since it was now off season" and that we would need to eat elsewhere during our stay. There was no breakfast to be had. The ONE woman working was nice enough to give me coffee at least, complete with milk that curdled. The pretty little bar in the pictures online was empty. Not a bar stool to be found nor a bottle of liquor either. Just dust. No soda, no bottled water. NOTHING.
The two pools - one was empty except for the leaves and garbage. The other pool had water but was dirty, filled with leaves, algae, empty bottles and a ton of bugs.
The online ads we saw on other sites are beyond misleading, the ads were truly deceitful, an outright LIE. This hotel should not be allowed to operate. It is clearly a non functional hotel.
After NOT having breakfast and NOT having coffee, we made other arrangements for our next few nights at a resort down the road and quickly packed. I could not pack our bags quick enough. I've never had such a TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE. Never!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Solarblu62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Bermuda
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2009

I booked the room for 4 nights but paid for 2 nights, I had ordered for birthday cake via long distant phone call 5 weeks before and called to confirm a week before we were due to be there. I wanted ocean view. Well on arrivial I was told no cake because the person thought it was for the next day. The room location was down many steps and carry suitcases was no fun. Now here is the worst part of the so called surprise gift, we had to go out to find dinner which was miles away and on our return going to the room I fall flat on my face while going up the steps and hurt my chest. We left the next day and there was no return of money. My tip is this PEOPLE TREASURE BEACH IS A HAS BEEN AND NEEDS TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND CLOSE IT DOORS BECAUSE YOU WILL WASTE YOU TIME AND MONEY. ANYWAY IT WAS A LESSON LEARNED, PAY FOR 1 NIGHT AND IF YOU LIKE THE PLACE THEN PAY. GOOD LUCK

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank less911_2311
Uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

I stayed here in July as part of a tour of the island. Upon arrival we were lead to a room with twin beds with enormous crack in the wall. The room did not feel safe or secure. It felt dirty and even had cockroaches. It brought me to tears. Like other reviews have commented Im sure this was once a beautiful hotel the location is breath taking its in the heart of the country it is just run down. I stayed here for 2 nights and feel relieved that it was not for any longer as i could not imagine another day there!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JAMROCK21
britain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2009

I booked Sunsplash Villa in Billy's bay treasure beach after originally going to book the lyric villa Treasure Beach but they were full for the dates we wanted so was looking for a reasonably priced alternative.
The owner contacted me and told me her villa was available and it would be lovely to have us there.
The lady sounded nice in her e-mails and the place is advertised on treasurebeach.net which seems to be the local hub for tourists and locals alike.
I asked a lot of questions about the place before paying for it and nobody seemed to go into detail just said that treasure beach is great and I would love it.
I was quite worried when I could not find any reviews on the place and only 4 pictures which the owner had taken herself but put that down to her canadian friends staying there regular(her repeat clientel as she had me believe)

The villa and cottage was to come with a cook included,
We went as a family and after looking at the pictures were all really looking forward to swimming in the evenings by the well lit pool while the elder ones in the family could eat their meals on the verandha that the cook would prepare.
The place was filthy when we arrived we were greeted with not even a glass of water,there were only 3 lightbulbs instead of about 20 we were told to purchase our own lightbulbs as the cook said that the owner is mean and tight with her money and does not pay the staff enough money to replace bulbs or toilet roll and we were to give her the old bulbs back out of the bin so she could stock count for them!!(even though we paid for the new ones)
the cooker had not been cleaned of which we took photographs,
there were insects cocoon nests on a lot of the bedding,the place was crawling with bugs,they said they do not spray it can't afford to,the light over the murky swimming pool was broken so no night swimming,the bathrooms were rusty with dangerous broken tiles hanging off,one bathroom we refused to use it was that bad.There was scum all around the bathrooms
the cottage was a derelict building with a sky dish and 2 broken fridges full of rust not working in the living room the sheets were full of nests and facecloths had cobwebs on,one toilet was leaking one shower was broken and again no lightbulbs,nobody ever slept in there,I can only describe it as a dungeon or a dog kennel to shelter from bad weather.
The supposed cook kept telling us how hard it was to manage the place and that she could not afford to buy the things it needed and she was not very well so we felt like we were really putting her out the one morning she helped us put toast into the toaster.Nothing was ever cooked for us after that.The cleaning was a quick sweep of the floor if we were lucky and the sheets pulled back over our bed.The bins were left overflowing and we had no idea where they were to be emptied not through want of trying.
The electrical sockets are very dodgy they blew twice and a couple of sockets are hanging off the wall.we had just been on a 40 mile round trip to purchase food and the electrics blew so at one point the fridge was not working.We were told to just use an extension wire and hook it up from somewhere else.There was a very old t.v in there that had 2 stations that did not work very well,the sheets were like rags on the beds and the dishcloths had all tears in them ,everything was covered in cobwebs,
We went to treasure beach as a special holiday as one of our family was overcoming an illness and it was meant to be a relaxing re-couperation break,it turned out to be a holiday from hell,I have contacted the owner and not had a response since.I was also made to pay by bankers draft which she requested be sent by the post which is a very unsafe way of sending money and had me on edge for the whole 2-3 week process but the place looked nice and sounded nice due to all of the recommendations on treasurebeach.net so I hoped for the best.I have since tried to warn people about this villa and posted photographs to treasurebeach.net to warn other tourists but they are very biased and only want excellent reports to be written about their area.They even went as far to imply I was making it up but after being shown photographic evidence went onto hide the situation and would not post.Maybe they are connected with the villa somehow.
We were in darkness from the outside the whole week as the onsite supposed cook-caretaker,refused to put the outside lights on to save electricity so it was very daunting at night times as it was a long way to the gate in the pitch dark.
towels were not washed,bedding was not changed we got 2 clean tea-towels on our last day.,sinks blocked,toilets blocked,electrics kept blowing,full of all sorts of outdoor creatures,It was not fit for pets never mind to sell as a holiday to tourists travelling a very long way to get there.Shame on treasurebeach.net for advertising them then hiding the evidence!
All I can say is do not stay there it was a holiday from hell and I would not wish that dungeon on my worst enemy.

10 Thank treasurebeachnet
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

My husband and I just returned from spending 11 days at Treasure Beach Hotel. We will return next year. The most enjoyable hotel stay we have ever had. The staff is awesome, the food was excellent, our room was clean and comfortable.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — I dont have anythng I didnt like about it.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

A very disappointing experience in 2008. As a repeat visitor (five times in the past seven years), it is clear that the Treasure Beach Hotel is on a path of steady deterioration - in terms of physical appearance, service and management.

My husband and I recently went to the Treasure Beach Hotel even though we had not made a prior reservation, in the hope that we would be able to get an ocean view deluxe room. We lucked out as we were able to get the room for two days. As repeat visitors we saw no need to check the room before giving a downpayment with our credit card.

On entering the room, the door was already open, there was a curtain that was immobilized, there was a torn mosquito net on the door and the glasses and ice bucket appeared to be unwashed. Noting the condition of the room, I mentioned to my husband that I was not convinced that we were getting full value for our money. After ten minutes, we decided to inquire the prices of other accomodations in the Treasure Beach area. With the exception of the complimentary drinks, we did not use any services of the hotel.

We were able to find, at a lower price, accomodations elsewhere in Treasure Beach that were in far better physical condition than the 'deluxe' ocean view room at Treasure Beach Hotel.

I then returned to cancel my reservation. The receptionist spent some time trying to get permission to cancel the charges to my credit card as neither the owner nor the manager were on site. The owner eventually agreed to refund part of the payment but charge a penalty - even though I had no prior reservation and neither my husband nor I did not use any services of the hotel.

I'm writing this note to let other travellers know that the Treasure Beach Hotel's glory days have long gone and it doesn't appear that the management cares either about the quality of the property or of guests - including repeat guests like myself.

In recent years, we have seen the property fall into a gradual state of disrepair - doors that don't close properly, pool in need of cleaning, debris on the path going to the beach, poorly trained restaurant staff, an increasing number of items on the menu unavailable etc.

The hotel is located at the far end of the beach coast, far from the noise of music at night in the village. Having a pool on the property is an advantage when the sea is rough. It is a pity that this hotel is no longer what it used to be!

I encourage travellers seeking a laid-back, community setting for their holidays to visit and stay in the Treasure Beach area - but bear in mind that there are many options for accomodations and dining - e.g. Jakes, Sunset Beach Resort, Bebe's Place, etc. It's a charming village with delightful people. An internet search for 'Treasure Beach' will provide you with many interesting and intriguing options. Just beware of the Treasure Beach Hotel.

• Liked — Physical location
  • Disliked — Physical condition
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank MINCMontreal_Canada
London - UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2008

You can see that the Treasure beach Hotel was once probably a nice hotel but it is now very tired looking and desperately needs to be refurbished.

There are two pools neither of which were that clean but were usable – there is also a hot tub but it was not in use.

The beach on Treasure beach is great, no hustle no bustle, you literally have the beach to yourself which I loved. Real pity they have no loungers though. I would not recommend for young children as the sea is very choppy – probably good for surfers. The water is crystal clear with no seaweed ( i hate standing on the stuff).

Our rooms had a garden view and most days there was a lack of water for a period.

Food here was very expensive so we eat out most nights – Jakes and Jack Sprats just up the road are really food – also we eat at Winsome’s on the beach, her place is not as posh as Jakes or Jack Sprat but her food is good and she is a really nice lady.

You really need a car when staying here but be careful driving around as the roads are very bad (lots of pot holes) and most of the local drivers who are more familiar with the road drive fast – the limit is 50km per hour. People blow their horns a lots out here which I really did not understand, however it was explained to me that they blow to warn people that they are approaching especially where there are blind corners

I have been coming to Jamaica now on a regular basis for over 10 years mainly staying in Negril, Ochi or Montego and would highly recommend this area. It’s peaceful, the people are lovely and you feel very safe. During my entire stay I was not approached by anyone trying to sell me anything or ask me for anything. I definitely would come back to Treasure beach.

I really enjoyed my time a Treasure beach – the staff at the hotel went out of their way to look after us and try and resolve any problems. I think however the management need to spend some money on the hotel which really could be a lovely place. I visited Jakes just up the road (they were full) and i would say that Treasure Beach has the potential to be a far better hotel but it lacks good management and desperately need to be refurbished. There only saving grace right now really is that they have good and loyal staff.

I would like to thank all the staff at Treasure beach for making our stay a pleasant one.

• Liked — i felt very safe in the area - people were friendly
  • Disliked — the hotel could have been a lot nicer - lack of beach loungers - lack of water
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Treasure Beach
#2 of 14 in Treasure Beach
Marblue Villa Suites
Marblue Villa Suites
#2 of 5 in Treasure Beach

Been to Treasure Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!