“Good for a few nights(maybe 2 max)”

Golden Sands Guest House
Ranked #13 of 17 Treasure Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2014

First and foremost this is NOT A RESORT…We arrived at the so called "resort" as stated on their website and were greeted by Garnett, he directed us to the Frenchman's Reef restaurant of which I might be owned by the same person (see review and pictures in my other reviews). We stayed at the Irie Rest Guesthouse the night before but had to leave because they accidentally overbooked but helped us get a room here. This establishment is average at best, the floor that we stayed (2nd floor) there aren't any window screens, nor is there hot water, the bedding is flimsy but what can you expect at $40 per night? We needed a place to stay for the night and it fulfilled that need. Due to the lack of window screens my cousin had a disastrous experience with a lizard that was probably a relative of Godzilla. Management’s (the person on duty) response was to move her to another room, we were VERY GRATEFUL but window screens would be a great investment on all floors.

The owner of the property is an older gentleman and is in need of customer service training because he came off as an arrogant, irritable geezer that gave returning residents a bad name due to his nasty attitude. They didn't provide ANY toiletries but we had our own...always ask prior to arrival

We loved the proximity to the beach but, bathing in cold/barely warm water wasn't fun then nor will it ever be to us. My cousins and I would stay there again but it would HAVE to be in one of the Villa’s and I’d hope they are better We would base the stay on it’s location but…TripAdvisors please post pics or videos so future guests know what they’re getting into.

Here is a run down of the pro’s and con’s of this place:
Pro’s
Proximity to the beach and restaurant (right next door)
Great views depending on the room
Maintenance man was EXCELLENT
Close to transportation
Fans

Cons
The rooms we had were not very nice-sheet hanging up in the room-Tacky
The owner was a meanie-You are in Jamaica lighten up!
No screens on the windows/Shutters would not close-deeming them useless
No Toiletries-Nothing complimentary (we had our own but they offered nothing)

Room Tip: If you don't like Lizards-Try to get rooms with a screened windows
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank kikidom79

Reviewed 15 February 2013

This place calls itself Golden Sands Beach Resort on its Web site, and it's listed here as a guest house, but it's neither and is really more of a basic motel. It's a bit over-priced too, as the rooms are nothing fancy and there's only cold water/showers. But view of the ocean and sunset from the rooms facing the beach (some have a porch; while others have balconies) is quite nice.

This place worked in a pinch though, as we had shown up a day early for our reservation at the nearby Waikiki Guest House and our room there was booked that night, so we settled on Golden Sands for one night. However, in hindsight, we should've stuck with Golden Sands, as Waikiki Guest House turned out to have no running water/showers (so we used bottled water for bathing) and an ornery owner!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zengirl_10
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Unfortunately this place was not clean and the service was poor. Ants in the shower. Greasy kitchenette, not clean. Dishes/cupboards are 30 years old and ratty. Had to ask 3 times for towels and the owner claimed he didn't know where the extra towels were kept. Very noisy bar/club nearby that plays load music until 3 AM. We were required to pay for entire stay in cash up front when we checked in. When we decided to check out two days early, the owner refused to refund our money for nights we didn't stay. Nothing redeeming about this experience. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Jsh4
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We found this place quite by accident - on the recommendation of abother guest.
We stayed in one of the three backpacker rooms - easily the best we stayed in, at this price, in Jamaica. The room consisted of two single beds, private bathroom and floor fan.
The guesthouse is located right on the beach and next to an excellent restaurant (Frenchmen's Reef - we ate every meal there).
The ownder, Mr Lewis, and all that worked there (especially Bobby) were incredibly helpful and friendly.
A wonderful, relaxing end to our time in Jamaica.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank hm8688
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Be prepared to get total relaxation. that is what this place offers. great staffs.ideal location. central to shops restaurants etc.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank flora64
Reviewed 28 November 2010

The south coast of Jamaica has a charm all of its own, I found that out the morning I woke up at The Golden Sands Beach Resort in Treasure Beach, Jamaica. I got here pretty late so me and mine headed straight to bed. That was a great idea too because something about the Caribbean Sea lapping at the beach less that 50 feet from the screen covered window lulled me into the sweetest of rest. We woke up to the sound of waves, and breezes, and birds, and sunshine, I swear sunshine has a sound because I heard it as I look across the lush blue horizon from the patio of my nicely appointed room. Nice as the room was, I wanted to get out, and we did. We found ourselves on the beach which is just 14 steps from our door and headed down the gold-grayish sand in the direction of Jake's. Fishermen were casting of, and others tourist was about the beach and soaking in the paradise solvent that is the Caribbean. I didn't pick the place, but I'm going to say it was a golden choice. We walked down the beach some and eventually ended up on the main street, this is where we found the treasure of Treasure Beach. I mean the people. hardy hellos, and cheerful greetings mets us and made us right at home; well I have always wanted a home on the beach, and dammed if I didn't just find one at this place. What a peaceful and rustically cultured place, and these people were too sweet and friendly for me to want to go back home. We stayed a week there and everyday Winfred the owner found something delightful for us to get into, tours, transportation, food, and just about everything was waiting for us at the Golden Sands, but more that all that, The Beach was there, and its still there waiting for you. So if you are looking for a beach to live next to for a few days, weeks or months, find the Golden Sands and check in...its a golden choice!....oh yeah, tell Winfred that you heard about him from this review and he's got a hefty discount for you... he promised ... One Love!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank digitallion
Reviewed 13 March 2007

The last time we stayed at the Golden Sands it was terrible. It wasn't very clean. When we first got there there was a rat in the room. They did change our room only to have mouse droppings in the next one. They came to make our room and they actually put ripped sheets on our bed and we had to ask for them to be changed the next day. I will not stay there again.

Stayed: January 2006