“Great Puertorrican Cuisine”
Review of Riqueno Fonda Puertoriquena - CLOSED

Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We're glad to have found such good restaurant near Luiquillo beach. Great food, amicable personnel and very classy puertorrican ambiance.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was in Luquillo during the Christmas holidays and it was a week night when I went to the Kioskos. A large majority of the Kioskos were closed and the more popular restaurants (i.e El Terruño, )were jam-packed. We saw El Riqueño did not look as dauntingly packed (at first glance) as the other kioskos so we decided to give it a try. El Riqueno is possibly one of the smallest of the kioskos. There are about 5-6 tables at most and they are very close together. If you don't like being so jammed up against people, rethink visiting El Riqueno. The restaurant seemed empty but once we walked in there was a large party of about 8-9 people. The owner spent most of his time attending to them. We were given menus and our drink orders were taken but then we were not spoken to or acknowledge again for about 12-15 minutes. To make matters worse the only other person working with the owner to wait tables was a teenage boy who was splitting his attention between the tables and 12 other tasks. It took us about 35 minutes to get our meal. Service sped up once the party left. On the upside, the food was very fresh and delicious. The time to obtain it however was unacceptable. The decor is charming, unique and different. The drinks are served in whimsical silver 'pails' that I found pretty cool. El Riqueño is a restaurant that is definitely not cut out for large parties of people and other business simultaneously. The owner saw our frustration and gave us a complimentary desert after our meal. However none of that made our visit really worth contemplating visiting them again. There are other great places to eat in Luquillo and the adjacent town Fajardo to consider.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have a couple of apartments that normally rent for visitors from outside P.R. and normally my wife and myself taste for restaurants near Fajardo, Luquillo and Rio Grande in order to have recommendations for our guests.

We normally saw the Luquillo Kiosks route as a place to eat a Alcapurria or Bacalaito (local snacks) with a local Medalla beer but we have seen a change on some of them that upscale the level of food, service, cleanliness even Air Condition. They are also thematic, like for bikers, Grill, Old time decoration, etc.

Today I convinced my wife and make a stop on Riqueno Kiosk #15 for a taste experience. they offered you a free cup of soup to open the talk, then I ordered a fresh fish colirubia (Yellow tail Snapper) and plantains and my wife ordered a Churrrasco/Skirt (medium) with plantains, all the food was great, very fresh and cooked perfect and it also was delivered fast (not crowded 2:00pm), for dessert we had the Vanilla Flan (Caramel) fresh local made and awesome big, look for it before ordered and we close with the coffee (cortado) with a nice design over.

The owner Carlos Romero attention and service was great as he makes things happen. At the end we paid around $50.00, a great price for great experience! Thanks Carlos, now you are part of our guest recommendations ***** stars.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

In visiting the kiosks 4 nights during our stay I have to be fair. While our experience here wasn't terrible (the staff were very helpful and made you feel welcome) our food for the most part was a little off. My steak and my son's pork chops were way too salty, the crab monfungo was "ok". The fish of the day (yellow tail) was very good. I would give them another try...

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My review is not of the culinary kind, but please bear with me. I visited PR for a week and one morning was waiting for friends to pick me up in Luquillo. Walked by this restaurant among many others and it stood out from the rest, but it was closed. Later on in the day, in El Yunque, my friend's van was broken into, and all my luggage including my passport was stolen. I was leaving the next day, and a week after I got back home I got a phone call from Carlos, the owner, who had found my things on the side of the road, and was kind enough to pick up my cards as well. I spent an unforgettable, beautiful week in PR and this minor mishap didn't make me feel any less welcome in PR - and the kindness of Carlos is a mirror of the hospitality that I received when I was travelling in PR. Now I can't wait to go back, and especially can't wait to try the restaurant. Please pay it forward, thank this man and his staff on my behalf and have a bite. (also posting this to Yelp)