“We are happy with Casa Nora !”
Review of Casa Nora

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Yaque
Casa Nora
Ranked #4 of 11 El Yaque B&B and Inns
Latvia
“We are happy with Casa Nora !”
Reviewed 20 November 2009

The best choice for our stay on Margarita island was Casa Nora - we felt like at home if we are talking about nice and warm welcome.
Its quiet place with lovely pool, with nice view over surroundings, with clean room and very rich and various breakfest.
But - the best are the hosts Nora and Alvis - people who like parties, they are happy with everybody who stayes at Casa Nora.
About all what they offer you can find an information on webpage. I tried Nora's yoga classes in the mornings - that was really great experience for me !
Pick-up from an airport and also delivery to the airport, nice evenings together, last dinner before our coming home, always smiling, always careful about us - only the best memories !

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Antra61

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
BC
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Two Western Canadians (windsurfers) just back from beautiful Casa Nora, tucked just a stone’s throw away from the windsurfing centre in El Yaque (Margarita). Power yoga in the morning with hostess Nora in the open morning Margarita air beside the pool was for me; my boyfriend is a downhill mountain biking fan, and tried his luck at the elusive ascent up a local hill with guide/co-host Al. Lots of competition to be the first to plant the flag at the top of a clean ascent that I hear is still eluding guests (will a Canadian be the first??) And then there’s the windsurfing/kiting – every day starting at about 10 or 11 if you want it in Margarita. Nothing like surfing 4.7 in your bathing suit for us Northerners! But the reason for this posting is that Casa Nora made the stay special. When I booked, I wondered about booking right on the beach, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way. We wined/drank/dined on the beach the nights that we wanted to, and then did a 5 minute wander back to the house under the stars, away from the noise. Nora’s breakfasts on the veranda with a view from the hill of the water are sensational; we stayed in the little Casita which was divine. Don’t miss Nora’s coffee, and if you’re lucky the hosts will give you a sample of cactus fruit that grows on the property while you laze in the hammocks by the pool. We had a fantastic week and thanked our lucky stars we managed to find this place, and look forward to a return trip. It’s a cozy place, with rooms for about 10 or fewer guests I think – loved it. Personal service, pretty rooms nicely decorated, and elevated so that you have an amazing view of the water and surrounding area over breakfast. Nora is a great tour guide as well and will help you see what you want to explore.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I traveled to El Yaque in late March 2009 for a 10-day windsurfing vacation. I was looking for something different than the beachfront hotel I had stayed in10 years ago, and the description of Casa Nora appealed to me. As a solo traveler, I knew I’d be in good company at the windsurfing center where I was renting gear. But I was hoping for lodging that would feel welcoming and cozy, and even a bit social. Casa Nora was the perfect experience for me.
Nora made it easy from the moment I arrived. She was waiting for me at the airport, drove me to the house, and then provided a short tour of the town and local amenities. My Casa Nora room was simple, small, and comfortable. I had one of two guestrooms in the main house, with a shared bath. The room had it’s own air conditioning, but on nights with a breeze it was great to just open the windows and run the ceiling fan. Other welcome comforts: a small fridge available for guest use, a clothesline out back for wet beach things, and the possibility of having laundry done by the housekeeper/ breakfast cook.

Most visitors to El Yaque are not looking for a standardized “Hilton experience” – We are windsurfers and kiters who love adventure, appreciate being away from the familiar, and enjoy being “off the beaten path.” The road leading up to Casa Nora is unpaved and muddy after a rain, and some mornings you will find small frogs in the bathroom. But this is part of the charm of life in a very small South American village.

At Casa Nora, you are not an anonymous hotel guest; you are a welcome visitor in Al and Nora’s very cool house. The grounds are a tranquil retreat from the activity along the beach, and far enough up the hill to be blissfully quiet. If you want a peaceful nap in one of the hammocks or a solitary workout in the lap pool, no one will disturb you. If getting up early for yoga or mountain biking sounds good, it’s offered every day. If lively conversation with fellow guests from various parts of the world is what you most enjoy, you’ll find yourself lingering over long (and super delicious) breakfasts on the patio. Better yet, offer to cook dinner one night. Nora will likely buy the groceries, and encourage other guests to contribute to the menu. When everyone pitches in, you’ve created a fun evening -- and a delicious meal!

Nora and Al are the consummate insider-outsiders. They are not Venezuelan, but they have the inside scoop on everything going on in El Yaque. Restaurant tips, the best exchange rate, local gourmet ice cream, or directions to a remote beach on the other side of the island – they’ll point you in the right direction. While all the details of your stay are handled with professionalism, Nora and Al clearly enjoy the company of friendly and interesting people in their home. It’s a passion for windsurfing that brought Nora and Al to Margarita too, and they are just as excited as their guests when it’s a really great day to be on the water! Maybe that’s why a stay at Casa Nora feels less like “lodging” and more like “visiting.” I felt right at home, and look forward to going back!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
Edmonton AB
Reviewed 5 April 2009

This was my third trip to Margarita Island. I go here to learn windsurfing in El Yaque. I usually stay at B&B's or posadas on my travels. For my first stay at Casa Nora, I can say it was the best place I haved stayed and I will hope to return next year again. This year I had some extra time to be away from work and so I stayed almost 2 months......here are some reasons why I loved my stay:

Your hosts, Al and Nora, are friendly, helpful and active. Nora holds yoga classes in the mornings and Al does mountain bike tours. They also have a 20m lane swimming pool. This won me over when I booked online because I swim all the time back home in Canada - but it's so great to be able to train outdoors. (Of course the ocean is another good place, but you have to go early before all the surfers & kiters get out.) Nora and Al are both avid windsurfers and will also help you out if you need advice about windsurfing and kiting centres.

Breakfast is always yummy with lots of variety. The rooms, common areas and landscape are clean and well-kept. There are 2 rooms in the house with queen beds, and an ensuite with a separate entrance at the side of the house. There is also the casita (my favorite!) which is a separate detached cabin-like room beside the house - has a double loft and a double bed as well as a kitchen-area and bathroom. The rooms are cleaned often and you can also have your laundry done. It is located in a safe, secure area, and the casa itself is well-secured.

My favorite thing about the casa and the grounds, were all the "little chill-out nests" all around the house and in your rooms - nooks, hammocks etc., where you can curl up and read or cat-nap. My favorite thing about my entire stay at Casa Nora was the opportunity to meet other people and hang out and chat at the end of a fun day in the wind or recovering from a night of dancing until dawn. Often, those travellers staying at the time would all pitch in and we'd have a group dinner. These were always fun. When I left, I had made so many new friends and re-united with some from previous years - I was a little (well a lot actually!) sad to leave, I started to feel like part of the family :) So it was a happy kind of sad!

Anyway, whether you are a family, couple or solo traveller - and no matter what your age; you will be made to feel very much at home here and enjoy a wonderful vacation of whatever it is you like to do - happy travels!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed 15 March 2009

After my fifth day at Casa Nora, I'm happy I chose it rather than a traditional waterfront hotel for my first stay in El Yaque, Margarita. I initially chose Casa Nora because it was the only moderately price accommodation for which I could find interior photographs posted on the internet. When a hotel does not show interior photographs in this age of easy Internet advertising, it implies to me that they feel the accommodations are best not shown to potential customers. Casa Nora's photos indicated a modern, clean & comfortable home like facility, and my experience to date has confirmed my assessment was correct.

At Casa Nora, the accommodations range from a compact bedroom sharing a spacious central bath to more roomy digs with a private bathroom. Some and possibly all the bedrooms have delightfully silent but effective air conditioning. The 20-meter lap swimming pool is a special bonus for those seeking to stay physically fit. Adjacent to the pool is an area for relaxing either in the sun or the shade. Although there is no interior "common area" expressly for guests, the hosts, Nora and Alan, are a very congenial couple that seem quite willing to let guests make themselves at home in their living room area.

Casa Nora is located in a new residential subdivision at the top of a hill overlooking El Yaque and the surrounding area. The location buys peace and quiet, at the cost of having to walk up / down a gentle hill to get from / to the beach. Prior to arriving, I was apprehensive about that walk; I feared that lugging a water logged wet suit up the hill would be a real chore. What I've found is contrary to my expectations; my senior-citizen body can easily make it up to the house in less than ten minutes without even raising my heart rate. However, Casa Nora's is not for you if you want to be able to stagger from the beach or a thumping-disco into you bed with enough speed so as to not loose that which may be hanging onto your arm.

In the tradition of many European B&B's; Casa Nora serves a healthy and hearty breakfast in a very attractive manner on their outdoor patio. Each morning there has been fresh squeezed juice, an assortment of fresh fruits, toast with jams, yogurt, muesli cereal, bacon and perhaps pancakes, eggs, and/or deli-meats. There is more than enough food and coffee available to keep an active windsurfer charged up for most of the day.

Overall, Casa Nora delivers comfortable accommodations and great value.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 13 March 2009

After having spent a few months in El Yaque over the past three years, I've decided without a doubt that Casa Nora is the best place to stay. I'm able to write this with confidence after having first stayed in 3 hotels and several Bed & Breakfasts ("posadas") in El Yaque prior to discovering Casa Nora. Unless and until there is a new development rivals this first-class establishment, I plan on staying there every time I return to Margarita Island.

The hosts (Al and Nora) are the coolest Latvian-born Canadian couple I have ever met. Also the only Latvian-born couple I have ever met, but in all seriousness, they truly are very down-to-earth, relaxed, happy individuals. and provide for a very accommodating environment. It really does feel like a home away from home.

Except for one thing - the breakfast at Casa Nora is better than anything I ever get at my home in the US!! They bring in a chef who specializes in local cuisine, and she makes an array of different foods each day; for example one day we awoke to a choice of coffee, papaya juice, orange juice, milk, peach and strawberry yogurt, granola, cereal, and a giant bowl of fresh fruit, toast, jams and Nutella. Then came pancakes with butter and syrup, a tray of crispy bacon, and scrambled eggs wich chopped green/red peppers, onion, tomato, and cheese. And that is your average breakfast at Casa Nora. The hygiene is excellent, and not once did I experience food sickness.

This is more than I can say for the local hotels, which I do not recommend. My experience at each hotel I've tried has been the same: nice view of the beach, small room, poor service, unfreindly staff, average to sub-par hygiene, and decent food (that resulted in a 24hr+ bout of severe nausea on more than one occasion, unfortunately). In my humble opinion, the best advice for those who plan to stay in (and eat at) a hotel in El Yaque is to load up on Cipro before you come, and make sure to take it each morning before touching the buffet, then say a prayer before and after the meal that you don't get sick and ruin 1-2 days of your vacation (and life).

Anyhow, back to Casa Nora, it's a very ideal place if you're an active person, and especially if you plan to kitesurf or windsurf. Al and Nora both are excellent windsurfers, and are learning kitesurfing as well.

Surrounding the Casa, there is plenty of lawn and gravel space to hose off and dry off your gear, which is very convenient . Also, they have a washing mashine and dryer, and maid service every other day, including laundry service. Honestly, it does not get much better than that.

Nora' s daily yoga sessions are challenging yet rewarding, and the same can certainly be said for mountain biking with Al. They have 2 hammocks outside under a palapa roof - great place to nap, read, or sit back and enjoy a cold one.

Al and Nora even provided a concierge service for me in giving me daily wind forecasts, tips on local eateries, directions to the mall, the best place to exchange money, etc. - whatever you need Al and Nora will help you find, as they are very dialed in to El Yaque, and Margartia Island overall.

Perhaps the most impressive element of Casa Nora, though, is the lap pool. I'm a lifelong swimmer, and thus have great appreciation for a pool that is well designed and functional. Their lap pool is probably probably between 15 - 20 metres, with good depth for wave dissipation. Also, they've installed a nice filter, so the water is clean and clear. There is no other pool like this in El Yaque. Period.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop, and summarize my review by saying "I would certainly recommend Casa Nora to all". Sitting here writing this review makes me want to book a flight back there right now!!! If you're thinking about it, go ahead and email them right now and check on availability, because there is limited space, and you'll be missing out if you visit El Yaque and do not experience Casa Nora!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Guildford
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I took my non-windsurfing girlfriend to El Yaque and took great care in finding a nice place to stay. The hotels are ok but were mostly built in the early 80's and haven't been refurbished. If you want comfort and quiet you need to get back from th emain road and a Posada is your best bet, both for value and comfort. After lengthy internet searching "Casa Nora" was recommended by the owner of another Posada which was fully booked. "Casa Nora" is everything you see on the website and more. Its about 300 metres walk from the beach, but dont be put off by this as this is your best location in El Yaque. Its lovely and quiet and the views are great, over the sea and also back to the mountains. "Casa Nora" has a lovely pool, the best veranda/balcony for chilling out after a hard day's sailing and very comfortable, clean rooms. We stayed in the suite which was just lovely. I enjoyed my windsurfing but we both loved the Posada. We had a good look around El Yaque and didn't see any other accommodation we would have prefered. There are one or two really nice Posadas nearby but "Casa Nora" is THE place to stay because your Canadian hosts, Nora and Al are just fantastic. Nora picked us up from the airport, showed us around town, took us to the beach and pointed out the best places to eat and totally looked after us the whole time. They are fantastic company, both keen windsurfers and its great to just sit and talk about windsurfing and music and anything else that comes to mind. Nora also offers yoga classes before breakfast and Al will take you mountain biking if you're feeling brave enough. We will definitely go back and can't wait. Do yourself a favour and drop Nora a line, you will be in the very best of hands. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple