“Lunch” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ballandean Tavern Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ballandean
Ballandean Tavern Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballandean
Australia
“Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Snapper : not as tough as previous reviewer said. Not amazingly good either. It's average and totally acceptable for a tavern and the price.
Burger : this was yummy

Both came with salad and chips.
The salad fresh and crisp and with just the right amount of dressings
Chips were really really good
Overall great lunch stopover.
Can't complain when everything is so well priced and definitely well portioned!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foodgloriousfood88

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Group of eight went for dinner. Told the owner we booked a table and he ignored me and took orders in the bar instead. When we could order, we ordered garlic bread and kids meals at 7 pm , but garlic bread entry did not turn up until 8pm. Very poor country hospitality. Food was pub food as expected but the slow and rude service ruined our night out. Staff and owner not very friendly and need a system of getting out the entries earlier.

• Stayed October 2013
stanthorpe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I ate there recently and ordered the Pan-fried Snapper with veges. When it arrived the fish was over, over, over cooked, it was like leather it was so over cooked. It was so dried out it was tasteless.
The veges were chips and a small side dish consisting of a piece of broccoli, two circles of carrots and I guess cabbage, drenched in an over buttery sauce.The nicest thing was the broccoli.
I ate the fish, as I was hungry, plus a few chips, the broccoli, carrots and a small portion of the cabbage stuff.
This cost $20 and in my opinion was worth $10 at the most because of the way it was cooked.
Problem, this is the 4th time I have been to the Tavern and each time it has been because people have invited me to join them. I don't like to be rude and complain about the food in front of my friends but in future I will either have to decline their offer or suggest we eat somewhere else.
I wonder if the owners look at these reviews, perhaps they might like to comment to what I have to say?
If they do read them, can I suggest you teach the cook how to cook fish because the last time I was there I had the battered fish and it was still frozen in the middle.
For others who read this, I would suggest you eat elsewhere or tell them you want your fish cooked properly.

Room Tip: I didn't sleep there so can't comment
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Glen Innes, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Wife and I stayed here for lunch one day on our way to Stanthorpe.

Ballandean is a small but interesting area for either a short or long stay.

Everything about the place made it a very pleasant lunchtime experience.

We did not have long to wait for our lunch time order to be delivered to our table.

The prices were very reasonable and we would go again.

Room Tip: did not stay the night - just for lunch
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

We went to this establishment on a week day lunch so it was very quite only two other people when we arrived and four more came in later. We ordered our food and my wife ordered a coffee. The disappointing thing was the coffee came out after the steaks (circa 40 minutes after ordering). This type of slack delivery is not very endearing to this restaurant as the steaks were quite nice. Pull your socks up on delivery of service; otherwise a pleasant venue.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Glen1005
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed up the road in the cottages and payed a fortune. We stayed there as we were looking for somewhere to stay close to Ballendean Estate (went there for an AMAZING dinner). We had done the area winery stops and stopped here before we went to get ready for dinner. We sat on the deck and watched the sun go down and were chatting with the locals. We should have stayed here and saved ourselves a fortune. The rooms are really basic but priced reasonably.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

We ate lunch here on a Sunday after a recommendation from a local winery. We were told the food was amazing and so we expected just that. The place was fairly quiet when we arrived except for a large table of 20 or so which we took as a good sign.
The menu was very limited with pretty basic meals on offer. I ordered fish cakes with vegetables from the specials and my partner ordered rissoles. Our meals arrived with an apology after about 40 minutes. The portion sizes were generous but the food was dire. My 'fish cakes' were potato croquettes with a fishy after taste and over cooked vegetables with something potatoey in a sauce. Thank goodness for the large piece of pumpkin as I was starving. My partner's 'rissoles' presented as balls of mince that hadn't been flattened during the cooking process. The edges were overcooked and inedible. Very, very disappointing.
Add to this the pleasure of enjoying your lunch bathed in the cigarette smoke from the smoking area just along the verandah and you have dining experience that'll take you back a couple of decades. We won't be back.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ballandean hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballandean
Alure Stanthorpe
#1 of 5 in Ballandean
Happy Valley Retreat
Happy Valley Retreat
#1 of 11 in Stanthorpe

Been to Ballandean Tavern Motel? Share your experiences!