“Very impressed”

Girraween Environmental Lodge
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I booked 2 chalets for a surprise weekend away for our family to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. It was perfect. Kelly was very helpful in coordinating my plans. We were all very impressed with the accommodation and the area in general. A special treat was having Tasman (the resident dog) accompany us on our bush walk.

Room Tip: We had both a family chalet and a couples one. Both were roomy and well-stocked.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Super spot! Super cabins!! Super neat and clean!!! Super friendly!!!! Super bush walks!!!!! Super local attractions!!!!!! Super night sky!!!!!!!
A SUPER weekend was had by all the family ages 4 months - 60 years!!
We will definitely be back for more :-)

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I came to the Girraween Environmental Lodge recently for a well earned break after a hectic few years frantically working. Being totally connected to every electronic device and social media platform imaginable, I thought I would challenge myself to go to a place that is off the grid - no TV, broadband or phone coverage - commune with nature and to simply relax by indulging in those rarest of pursuits, of burying my nose in a good book. Talk about a merry challenge!! After two days of trying to settle, thinking I'm missing out on something, I diverted my attention to the numerous bushwalks on the property and went exploring the local vineyards nearby - yes! even without my phone - throughout the day. After checking out the history of the place and hiking every track at the neighbouring Girraween Natural Park which is truly spectacular in itself, I rewarded myself nightly by imbibing locally bought wine, cheese and tapas. After three days I truly started to reconnect with myself again and enjoyed the fact that my thought processes were slowing down and I seemed to be in synch with my surroundings; something I hadn't felt like since I was a child. Adding to the whole experience was Kelly and her awesome coffee on the deck overlooking the grassy part of the property and of course, good old Tasman - the dog with nine lives! Both their hospitality and warmth completed the whole holiday which made it very hard to leave. Girraween Environmental Lodge is a unique place with its own rhythms which is why I will definitely be back:) Thanks for a terrific time. PS: The world I discovered did not end when I came back online;);)

Room Tip: All the chalets are of an excellent standard and I love the fact that there is a therapeutic spa bat...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Angiebaby0511
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed for a weekend in february. Very mild temperatures, though we were tempted to light the fire, we didn't really need to. We enjoyed the tranquility, and took advantage of the hikes throughout the property. Stunning views! And yes, we were greeted by Taz, the enthusiastic site mascot. He's a cutie.

The lodges are comfortable, roomy and secluded. They are arranged so you don't view (or are viewed) by any of the others, and it seems quite private. It's very quiet too. Our hostess said that 6 of the 10 lodges were occupied, but we only saw people from 2 others. Perfect! We would definitely like to go back when it's colder and we can bundle up and light the wood stove.

Room Tip: Ours was a one bedroom, No. 7. Close to the laundry and the pool if you need them. We could only s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaveTheYank
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I defy you to be disappointed with the Girraween Environmental Lodge. Situated on a large block of land adjacent to the Girraween National Park (and formerly part of it), you are guaranteed to see nature at its best here. Surrounding the cabins are a variety of short walks, some along the local creek, others up the hillsides to see the local sights – Pillow Tor, Cathedral Arch and the Whale Rock to name a few.

The cabins are spacious and are set up for 4 people with 1 king and 1 queen bed (ours was anyway), a cosy living/dining/kitchen area (with a wood burning stove) and a generously sized bathroom with a shower and spa. Outside was cover for the car, a deck with table and chairs along with a gas BBQ with a lovely outlook over the hills and the small dam. A great set up.
We were made to feel most welcome by Kelly and her wonderful dog, Tasman. We enjoyed the company of Tasman on a couple of the walks along the creek but he decided that climbing the hills on a hot day was for humans only. Sensible dog !!

Close to the lodge is the Wisteria Chocolate Shop and a number of wineries as well as a short drive to Wallangara and to Stanthorpe for the Sunday market. If you fancy a walk to see the natural wonders of the National Park, it’s literally just up the road. However, you might want to pass these up and just sit on the deck and absorb the sounds and sights of nature with a good book and a bottle of local Sav Blanc or Chardy. We stayed for 3 nights; we could have stayed forever.

Room Tip: Our cabin (No. 3) had a strip of see through roof sheeting over the 2 bedrooms. When the sun rises...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We enjoyed 3 wonderful nights stay at this well serviced Environmental Lodge. The Cabin was well situated away from other cabins so privacy ensured. Inside the cabin were 2 enormous bedrooms, with the Master bedroom the biggest I have seen anywhere I have stayed. Huge bathroom with larger than normal shower - spa to enjoy - well ventilated room. Just fabulous. The kitchen was spacious and included a good sized fridge with a more than adequate weekend freezer. I would prefer to have a blind/shutters that I could pull down/close against the afternoon sun in the kitchen, but not a real issue as we kept things off the bench.Appreciated the undercover parking for the car as part of the roof line - great idea. If you enjoy waking up with the early morning sun streaming into the room then you will definitely love the skylights in the two bedrooms. For me personally I found this challenging but then decided to go with the flow and go to bed earlier and enjoy more of this wonderful Lodge and fantastic scenery on the many walks. I only missed one of the walks as I wasn't fit enough to do it but especially enjoyed the company of "Able Tasman" the Lodge's famous dog who made sure we didn't get lost and watched out for any reptiles sunning themselves across our path. We woke to a views of kangaroos in the "wild" which was fascinating. If you want to enjoy a quiet, relaxing week/weekend away plus add some adventure with bush walking, then this is the place for you. Bush walking, swimming in the pool, BBQ on your own veranda etc- it is all there. Enjoy. Hope to come back in winter and do it all over again. Thanks Kelly, Kelly's Mum and Able Tasman.

Room Tip: Cabin 3 as it was the first cabin and closest to the office and the beginning and end of the walks...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoanEB50
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We have been visiting Giraween and staying at the environmental lodges since they first opened. Secluded, well maintained with friendly staff and an abundance of scenery and wildlife, they are one of a few true 'getaway' locations. Away from the city lights, and digital noise. The quiet is awesome! Now we have two kids and they love it as well. Tasman the dog is an asset and was my kids constant shadow which they loved as they played all day ingest the rocks! We will will return, again and again! A unique natural environment unlike the rest of SE Qld.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Vashti B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballandean
Azjure Studio Retreat
#1 of 4 in Ballandean
Girraween Country Inn
Girraween Country Inn
#4 of 4 in Ballandean

Been to Girraween Environmental Lodge? Share your experiences!