“Beautiful luxury”

Select Braemar Lodge & Spa
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Hanmer Springs
“Beautiful luxury”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

What a stay .thankyou to staff who make you feel like ur the only quests in the whole hotel .we got a package deal .was beautiful massages were great .5course dinner absolutly stunning .veiws were breathtaking .a little disapointed with the gym .but everything else was absolutly amazing .my brother is staying for his honeymoon

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Cambridge, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We enjoyed our recent stay at Braemar for 2 nights. Our room was huge and very comfortable and included a spa out on our balcony all will great views to the mountains. We had dinner one night at the resturant and found the food to be very good. Would recommend for a special getaway.

Room Tip: choose a room with a spa outside - it is worth the extra
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful stay. We we fortunate enough to have a family member surprise us by paying for a room upgrade and it was delightful. Very comfortable bed, all the amenities you could need, and a hot tub on the balcony. Dinner as part of our package was good and the French waitress friendly and knowledgable. Thank you also for the birthday cocktail you made me - what a lovely touch! I had a massage in the spa and it is the best I have ever had, which is high praise as I am a frequent massage goer. THe therapist May has a great massage technique and an excellent manner - friendly yet professional and courteous. If you stay here and want to feel pampered and relaxed I would recommend the one hour aromatherapy massage. The extras we order for our room (bottle of bubbly and cheese board with port) were well priced and good quality. I am looking forwards to revisiting the Beamer in the future!

Paris, France
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is a beautiful place to stay away from the busy weekend Hanmer. Nice friendly staff and peaceful, lovely rooms apart from the freezing bathrooms and our broken drain cover....but we were truly surprised at the low quality continental breakfast alternative for a "health spa/retreat" There were 3 boring cereals ( All bran, Kornies and unappetising looking Muesli), bright purple yoghurt, the DRIEST breads you would get cheaply at the supermarket and 2 hard as nails bagels. The fruit salad was spongy and tinned, the cream cheese was lite and jelly like. The plunge coffee didn't even smell like coffee. The croissants were soft and the muffin was chemical tasting. As a concession to health there was a little bowl of nuts to sprinkle on something.
We should have tried the cooked options but after looking at the continental we were afraid!
I would have expected the above but freshly made as it is not hard or expensive to provide a healthy fresh continental.
The waitress was lovely though and apologised for the state of the breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Director09, Owner at Select Braemar Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
We thank Susanna for her helpful comments on her family's stay and are sorry she didn't enjoy the Lite (continental style) breakfast. We offer four cereals - traditional Kellogs cornflakes, All Bran, Weetbix and a house made muesli - the yoghurt is either plain unsweetened or again house made with fresh berries (on this day it was with blueberries hence the colour). Unfortunately we did not have sufficient bread that day due to a short delivery the day before and had to resort to an emergency stock of brown and white bread. The bagels were organic and I'm sorry if they were too hard. We do use tinned fruit salad but offer a fresh fruit platter as an extra to the reasonably priced $15 Lite breakfast, which also includes 5 different types of juice, selection of teas and plunger coffee (expresso is also available for a small additional price), bakery, house made preserves and yoghurt with nuts, raisins and dried fruit. The hot breakfast options start from $19.50 and also include all of the the Lite breakfast choices above. Our waitperson did apologise that her guests didn't enjoy their breakfast. And yes, our marble bathrooms can be a bit cold so we provide our guests with slippers and robes.
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Minor quibbles perhaps, but for a resort lodge I wouldn't have expected to be my own bellboy. When we went to the restaurant for our incl. 3-course dinner, we were told it was to be only 2 courses. Fortunately, I'd kept the email confirmation on my phone. The package we'd bought included a meal and spa massage but for the price on top of the normal room rate, I'd have expected more. The waitress however, was a standout. Polite, knowledgeable and impeccably turned-out, unlike the cleaners who were dressed in all sorts of casual stuff. The little yellow sign at the bottom of the hill could lead to unexpected off-roading if we'd arrived in the dark! Finally, a lovely facility but certain aspects require some tidying up to bring it up to the standard the rooms and the environment warrant.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Director09, Owner at Select Braemar Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
We thank Neill B for his positive comments and believe he enjoyed his stay overall. Although our reception person always asks if our guests require any assistance with their luggage we do not have a bellboy available except on a busy Fri and Sat to assist. We will certainly look at providing such a position but it is always a balance between too many and too few staff, particularly during the quieter weekdays. Our two night Alpine Romance package quoted comes with a full breakfast both mornings, two 1 hour massages, a 3 course a la carte dinner for two on one night (sorry about the mistake over the number of courses which was simple human error and immediately rectified without any problem) and a bottle of bubbles on arrival. Our housekeeping team wear a grey loose top with a T shirt under and either black track pants for the girls or cargo pants for the boys as they have various tools in the pockets. I'm sorry you thought this was too casual - their role is physically demanding, encompasses wet areas and outdoors so they have helped come up with this uniform. Lastly, I will certainly try and improve the signage at the bottom of the hill but we have been working with Council and the Roads department for several years now about signage in general and it's unfortunately not an easy fix.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Me and my partner went to stay for a night on the 9/8/2013 and had the suite with a jacuzzi in the toilet. It was quite a bit of a drive up and driving at night now knowing where I was heading to was a little intimidating.
First impression was not what I had in mind. I stayed at the villa suite in Peppers Bluewater Resort for around $300++ and this was so much cheaper and waaayyy better than that. The room was spacious and comfortable. The toilet was huge and had everything that you need. Jacuzzi was remote controlled and had easy instructions to follow on how to operate them. The view from the room was breathtaking and can not be described with words.
Free gym and spa on another floor and we had breakfast the morning after. Staff was excellent and so friendly everywhere you go. They showed real attention to detail and their friendliness and warmth were genuine and sincere.
Definately will come here again, and this time not just for 1 night.

Room Tip: Suite AS was what I had and had a jacuzzi in the toilet. Good for those who are afraid of the cold o...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Director09, Owner at Select Braemar Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
We thank your reviewer for their glowing comments on our Lodge. We do try to ensure we meet or exceed our guests expectations and 9/10 times (as measured by our in room guest response forms) we achieve this. Given that the Lodge has accommodation, a restaurant, conference and function rooms plus an on site beauty spa and is located 3 kms down an unmade up road which the local Council is responsible for means there are a lot more elements to try and get right. When we sometimes fail to meet our guests expectations on one of these, we (rightly so) get marked down and hence our lower ranking in Hanmer as no other facility has this number of facilities. Our Suite As deal offers a room only at a very attractive rate and is only available at certain times.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Braemar Lodge was excellent.

The rooms were large, clean and the bathroom was amazing.

The staff were friendly and professional.

The best part of the lodge in my view was the location, just out of hamner so there was real serenity. Sitting outside in the hot tub looking at the stars in total peace in quite was food for the soul.

The restaurant had wonderful food.

The only thing I can think of that wasn't up to my expection was the full body massage. I've had a lot of these and the one I received at the lodge was very average, if that. But of course that did not affect my enjoyment of the stay away and a massage is better than no massage...

Totally recommend and hope to return again soon.

Room Tip: Get the room upgrade with the outside tub. Totally worth the additional cost
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Director09, Manager at Select Braemar Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thanks to Chantal for her comments and I'm glad that she enjoyed her stay with us. I'm sorry that the full body massage was not up to her expectation, our Japanese spa therapist Mai usually gets great reviews and several people that I talked to over that weekend told me it was the best treatment they had ever had. Notwithstanding that we always want to try and meet / exceed our guests expectations so I will personally undergo a similar massage to see if I can give Mai any more training.