“A relaxing retreat”

Select Braemar Lodge & Spa
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Hanmer Springs
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Tucked away from the main village, the braemar lodge is a relaxing retreat. Considered amenities and service mean you can truly be on holiday!
The main downside being an unsealed road leading up to the lodge that will leave your car worse for wear :(

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I'm not usually given to writing reviews, but credit where it is due.

I booked three nights in the Medway Spa Suite as a surprise 40th birthday gift to my wife, as we rolled up the secluded driveway to the reception we immediately received a warm greeting by name from Tony, the general manager, from this personal touch I felt utterly assured that our stay would be one to remember.

When I initially booked our stay I contacted Braemar Lodge by email with a few questions on what I could organise as surprise little treats for my wife, within 5 minutes of my email a very helpful dialogue ensued with the staff who were so very attentive to my enquiries, at the end of which I felt utterly assured that my needs would be met, and met they were.

During the initial welcoming by Tony who happily took our luggage for us he very subtly hinted to my wife that shortly a little treat would occur, the first of many of which I had previously organised, he showed us to the suite all the while enquiring as to our plans for the stay, whether our trip was enjoyable, being very attentive without being overbearing. In the suite Tony described how all of the features worked including the outdoor private spa, the beautiful fireplace, the double needle jet shower and of course the fantastic double spa bath, and within 6 minutes of showing us our room he politely made his exit.

The suite was stunning, very generously proportioned, with perfect balance of furniture and comfort, my wife was so very overjoyed at the surprise and stated that this was the greatest suite she had ever had the good fortune to spend time in, and she has enjoyed some fabulous places in her time.

Within the hour of she went to her first treat in the spa section of the lodge, where she spent about 90 minutes being pampered, I of course decided to make good use of the amenities and spent a little time luxuriating in the excellent double shower which was very easy to operate thanks to Tony's instruction, it was marvellous!

My wife then sent for me to sit with her in the relaxation room in the spa area which too was lovely. Later we went to dinner and was attended to by a petit lady who showed us to our table with just the most stunning view of Hamner Springs incredible mountain range which was awash with beautiful sunshine, we enjoyed a fantastic evening meal and drinks and at all times felt that should we need anything at all we need just look in the right direction and our need would be met, and so we went to bed, which by the way was enormous and beautifully comfortable.

The next morning we arose feeling fresh and rested, we arrived for breakfast where we were attended by the most polite french gentleman I have ever met, and I've met a few. Breakfast was fresh from the oven croissants, fresh juice, perfectly filtered coffee and a hearty meal of bacon, sausage, eggs and fantastic hash browns (actually hash browns doesn't do it justice, this was a stack of potato, onion and cheesy bliss), after this we went off to explore Hamner Springs, which is just 12 minutes away and incredibly easy to find, we returned and more treats were in store for my wife, I waited in our suite taking lots of fantastic photographs from our outdoor area of the amazing vista. She returned even more blissed out and we whiled away the evening in the outdoor private spa watching the sun fall.

The next day was precisely as the last, attentive staff, an equally polite and friendly french lady, who made us feel so happy and comforted and genuinely like our happiness was her highest agenda, a perfect balance of light conversation and leaving us to our evening.

The final day was even better than the preceding, welcoming staff, gentle but brief conversation, fantastic food, some very personal touches to the evening meal, when we arrived back to our suite the final treat was a candlelit milk bath awaiting us with a scattering of petals, we both melted into the evening feeling truly rested and luxuriant.

Our final morning Tony met us to ensure that we had a pleasant stay, which of course as you just read we had. If the opportunity arises that we should be able to stay again then without a doubt we certainly shall.

Thank you to Tony and all your staff for giving my wife the most unforgettable and fabulous of 40th birthdays, she loved it, and so did I

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Jin-Hu
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I'm not usually given to writing reviews, but credit where it is due.

Room Tip: It's all good, you will be surrounded by stunning views and attended to by the most friendly and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed ar Braemar Lodge in October 2013 as a family. It was a spontaneous decision so booked a day before we were checking in. Upon the telephone booking I was asked for a credit card details. I provided those but asked if it was possible to pay with a different credit card to cash upon arrival or check-out. The person on the phone (who turned out to be the owner) assured me that they that was just for security purposes and they do not charge credit card upon booking, and that would be perfectly ok if we pay by different means upon check-out.

When we were checking in on the following day I again confirmed with the reception guy (with French accent) that I would like to pay cash for the room. Again, he said that that was fine, of course, of course, Ma'm.

Upon check-out, after we waited for 25 (!) minutes (luxury lodge, anyone), I was told by the same French-speaking guy that I did not need to pay anything as my credit card was charged upon the booking!!! When I asked him why the owner and he himself confirmed that I could pay upon check-out by, he mumbled some 'sorries' and blamed the owner. Since I was not even offered a receipt, I had to specifically ask for it. This clearly puzzled the reception guy. As he was looking around in confusion, another hotel customer approached the reception and said that she was charged someone else's fee and got someone else's receipt! And guess what, that was our charge, our details and our receipt. More mumbling and 'sorries' followed in lovely French accent. Charging our credit card, they also charged credit card fee which I naturally asked them to remove as it was their mistake and not our intention to pay with a credit card. 'Of course, of course, Ma'm', he sang again, 'we will do it immediately'. Up until today, the end of November, I have not received the reimbursement of the fee.

In most cases I would just forget about it, learn the lesson about this particular hotel and simply never return there, but unfortunately it was not the end of our unhappy credit card story. I am running out of time now, but stay tuned for more alarming details.
Overall, bad reception, payment and security practices, plus they lie!!! As I said, stay tuned for more.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank CraigOlga
DirectorSBL, Owner at Select Braemar Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

It was indeed unfortunate that our receptionist charged the wrong credit card used to secure the booking instead of the EFTPOS card given on arrival however this is not the whole story. These guests took their room key away with them on departure and as each of these keys is security cut and attached to a leather key fob with gilt inlaid lettering, they cost $75 to replace. We advised your reviewers of this outstanding matter by phone and email over a five week period and after receiving many assurances that it woulkd be sent the next day, had been sent, etc we charged the credit card held on file for these guests for a replacement to be made. The lady then phoned up and berated our accountant and threatened to write to Trip Advisor if we did not reverse the payment. We therefore stand by our policy of charging for lost keys, obviously apologise for the original error and HAVE credited the original credit card admin fee. Regarding the 25 minute check out time, unfortunately everyone wants to check out at 11am and your reveiewers had to wait a little longer due to trying to correct the error. We naturally apologise for this delay.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Select Braemar Lodge and Spa for our 20th wedding anniversary from the moment we arrived the staff made us feel extremely welcome, we both had massages which were excellent, our room was lovely and the views magnificant. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant which we thoroughly enjoyed, there was a great selection to choose from. Overall we would recommend this as a place to stay.

Room Tip: They have a variety of choices
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie H
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Great place to stay with a very relaxing feel to it and a great view over the snowy peak of Hanmer Spring about 10km away. Very large room with Californian king size bed outdoor and indoor spa Double shower etc.
Gas fire for the cooler night and the best ever price mini bar with a good choice of wine, port, soft drink and snack bite.
Food was very good and our waitress give us a excellent service.
Great people at the reception to help you.
Will be back, Thanks

Room Tip: Go for the large room with both spa if it's you style? and stay at list 2 night to fully enjoy
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Foodpetanque
Reviewed 26 September 2013

What a stay .thankyou to staff who make you feel like ur the only quests in the whole hotel .we got a package deal .was beautiful massages were great .5course dinner absolutly stunning .veiws were breathtaking .a little disapointed with the gym .but everything else was absolutly amazing .my brother is staying for his honeymoon

• Stayed: October 2012