“Fantastic Value and Location”

Village Lake Apartments
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Hanmer Springs
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We've visited the South Island on 3 occasions (2 weeks each time) and this was our first visit to Hanmer Springs. What a charming place it is! Lots of things to see and do. Definitely put it on your list of places to visit, and definitely stay at Village Lake Apartments when you go! Near-new so ultra-modern and comfortable, the apartments are fantastic. Lovely outlook, very spacious living area with gorgeous gas heater, under-floor heating in the kitchen and bathroom, super-comfy beds, great towels!! Honestly, the list goes on. GREAT value for money, stroll into the village. Two pubs, lots of cafes and restaurants to meet any budget. Ideal for families, couples, friends, business. What are you waiting for!!??

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I booked the apartment wanting to spoil my parents with a night away from Christchurch as I was visiting them from Australia with my boyfriend. The apartment first appeared as in the website. The living areas had a spacious feel and was close to the hot pools. There was a washing machine and dryer, and the apartment provided towels to take to the hot pools which was a nice touch.

After eating out for many nights on our holiday, we decided to eat in and cook as all the utensils were provided. The stove top was erratic at best, with the largest element being temperamental with heat and the second largest could not even manage to boil a pot of water !

The bathroom door lock to the main bathroom and main bedroom did not latch shut which was annoying as the main bathroom was the only bathroom with shower facilities.

The gas log heater did not work. Not sure if it was the heater itself or the power outlet it was plugged into. I guess we were lucky it was not a particularly cold night but it would have been nice aesthetically to have on as we watched our movie, perhaps then my boyfriend would not have noticed the MOUSE run past and in to our bedroom.

My dad and boyfriend were able to corner the mouse as it had jumped on to the headboard of our bed. I rang reception and told them of the mouse. To be fair, the owner did come to the apartment somewhat promptly as it was about midnight and chased the mouse back out to the living area. Unfortunately, none of us were able to catch it.

The owner left a mouse trap and said there was nothing more he could do, stating it was the first one of the season as they come in from the cold during winter. Watch out if you decide to stay here in the cooler season ! No offer of discount was made. No offer of moving to another apartment. So now that we were sharing the living area with our new fury friend, we packed all our belonging and moved them to the bedrooms and closed the door to ensure the mouse stayed out. We never got to finish that movie.

The mouse took the bait by morning but I had to listen to my mother on the car ride home. For the price paid, I would not stay here again. Definitely not the luxury I had hoped for !

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mlng5kiwi
VillageLake, Manager at Village Lake Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Hello Ming,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I am sorry you had a less than memorable stay with us, we try very hard to make sure all our guests expectations are met or exceeded.
With regards to the cook top being erratic we have checked this and all elements seem to be working fine, the large element you mention that would not boil water is designed to simmer only for cooking soups, stews and such like and will not get hot enough to boil water, these cook tops are designed to work this way.
On checking the bathroom door I do apologise that the latch tongue was found to be a little loose so have tightened that up and is now working perfectly.
Unfortunately I cannot shed any light on the gas fire not working as it was working perfectly fine once it was switched on at the wall.
Mice are most unacceptable in any accommodation and there are vermin barriers built into this building but somehow one did mange to bypass this, once cornered in the bedroom we would have caught it but unfortunately when your boy friend opened the door the mouse did run back into the lounge and under the fire place so there was very little I could do from then on but to set a trap.
As I explained that night we were fully booked so we had no option to move you to another apartment which we would most certainly have done if one had been available.
We act on any queries or problems that arise as soon as they are bought to our attention no matter what the time of the day or night and a simply call to reception would have rectified any problems you may experience. We have taken on board your comments about the cook top and have now placed more explicit instructions in the rooms on how to use these and also explained the function of the simmering ring.
We have also placed into the compendiums clearer instructions on how to use the gas fires.
Once again I do apologise for your less than memorable stay with us and hope these matters that you have raised do not put you off staying Village Lake Apartments in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

This place deserves all its great reviews. It was lovely to have such a peacefull unit with a LARGE amount of space to unpack our days shopping in Christchurch in.
It was beautifully appointed with a lot of thought going into the appliances used, the decor and even the toiletries showed that care had been taken to make things just so. And certainly, having a second toilet in the room is great when the mother wants a soak in the bath and the boys need to use the facilities! Also the little aside from the mananger on using the lights in the bathroom at night, much appreciated!
Being able to borrow towels to take to the pools after our check out was a great perk! Nobody wants to drive around with wet towels in their car, so than you.
I am sure if we had come in winter, the gas log fire would have been a wonderful way to keep warm and watch the snow fall, but alas, not this trip.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2013

At $275 per night for a 2-bedroom apartment, it is not the cheapest accommodation in Hanmer Springs, but this place wasn't built or decorated on a budget either. From the beds to the kitchenware, from the sheets and curtains to the toilettries, everything was of high quality and felt luxurious. The gas fire was perfect and warmed up the apartment very nicely. The apartments are located on a very quiet street, yet easy walking distance to the hot pools, shops and restaurants.
Around 8:00 PM we received a call from the office, saying they were about to close and was there anything we needed. I thought this was very thoughtful.
Free towels are provided for a visit to the hot pools.
Just thinking of that comfortable bed makes me want to go back!

Room Tip: Don't book anywhere else in Hanmer
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Stayed here as part of a road trip around New Zealand. The decor and facilities is of the highest quality. Well situated and I wished I lived there permanently. The fireplace is delightful and really sets the scene. I wished I was there for longer as it is a lovely apartment.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Stayed here in January 2013 with a girlfriend. We decided we wanted to stay somewhere that was nicer than our own home. Well we certainly got that. This motel is lovely, it was spacious, clean, beds were very comfortable, and the kitchen well-equipped. In fact we decided to eat in both nights, as we enjoyed the feeling of the motel, enjoyed sitting on the balcony, and enjoying the view. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night during a road trip of the South Island. Four of us stayed in a 2 bed unit which was very clean and comfortable. The property is right in the centre of the town. We did use the washing machine etc which was very good but we ate out. The beds were comfortable and toiletries and welcome teas etc very good - needed more milk as you seem to get one small bottle whether byou are a 2 or 4 but not a problem. Only downside was the BBQ was dirty but this was probably just an oversight. We had driven through the Molesworth station which is the biggest farm in New Zealand. The scenery is stunning here. We ate out in the town and had a very good meal Can't remember the name of the restaurant at the mo but will let you know if it comes to me

• Stayed: January 2013