“one of the best”
Review of Hanmer Backpackers

Hanmer Backpackers
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Free milk, free cupcakes, big variety of free spices,free oil, free icecream, free massage chair, cheap internet... clean and nice rooms.. and it's not even expensive! I haven't stayed at any other place in Hanmer Springs but if I were to come back this is definitely the place that I would go to. The hosts are really friendly and will help you plan your stay in Hanmer. I recommend!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
HanmerBP, Owner at Hanmer Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Thank you for your great review.
It's true that we offer little extra's like real coffee, tea, hot chocolate, milk, spices and a massage chair but you must have fallen with your nose in the butter with the free ice cream and cup-cakes! We regularly have home baked goodies for our guests and the occasional ice cream on hot days.
See you next time!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

It was a nice hostel, better than average for sure, but charging for wifi is an automatic black mark in my book, so I give it a 4 out of 5. I did like the massage chair though! The kitchen and staff were also nice, and the family en suite room was homey.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for your nice feedback.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Very friendly, good facilities even had plunger coffee supplied free. rooms were clean and well maintained. Position close to village. off street parking and wifi available - small fee. The owners work hard to keep the service and standards high.

Room Tip: Larger accommodation at rear is less modern but has a separate bathroom and toilet. The rooms in the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I just had to write a review for this hostel because it is simply amazing! I only stayed for one night but I wish I could have stayed heaps longer! Tristan is so lovely, he is so helpful and nice, and actually takes an interest in the people who stay at the backpackers. You can see that the place is run by someone who has travelled as there is everything you need... and more! Perfect kitchen, great beds, lovely atmosphere, super clean, great location...everything is great! This place is the reason I love independent hostels that are run by people who know what it means to travel!! I can't recommend it enough! Thank you for a wonderful stay! I will definitely be back :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks a lot, we love having great guests like you!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I came with no booking and was a bit put off by having to call the owner when I arrived. But that's where the negatives stop. The owner turned up shortly after I called. Showed me around the place and all the amenities before accepting my booking and taking my cash. The place was really clean and I was lucky enough to get a doom to myself. All the beds had hot water bottles on them and you could put an extra duvet on if needed. The best part was probably the fully loaded spice rack. I'm yet to see any other hostel provide that. It was a real home away from home for me.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your great review. We're glad we could be a "home" for you during your travels.

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, nice place.rooms are spacious. they even got the fire going at night to warm up the place, although i don't really think it needed it, it was pretty warm anyway.
there is off street parking, and i was on a motorbike so they even tried to make space under cover for me. I didnt require it, but it was nice they tried to go the extra mile for me.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed for 1 week. The backpacker has several private rooms - 2 or 3 with ensuites and a room with no bathroom. There are alsoa couple of dorms that sleep 4 - 6. The owners are incredible, lovely and just all around nice people who go out of their way to be helpful and friendly.

EXTREMELY clean and tidy, kitchen immaculate and I think they vacuum the whole property every day. Plenty of cutlery, pots, pans and utensils. They provide free tea, coffee, hot chocolate and sugar/milk for your hot beverage. They also have a spice rack with about 30 spices for you to cook with...

Beds are proper beds/bunks with sheets, warm duvets and pillows. They give you hot water bottles, spare duvets. There is a wood burner so the place is never cold, even when the snow is 3 feet deep outside.

There is a free massage chair - a really good one unless you're over 6 foot/185cm tall in which case your neck will miss out.

Two living areas, NO TV - I kind of like no TV myself so can't complain but be warned if you're a junkie there is no TV there.

Located pretty much bang smack in the middle of Hanmer Springs

In summary I'd have to say this is priced like a hostel/backpackers but really isn't. Simply amazing. If you're a rowdy type looking to get on the booze with your mates it's probably not the place for you - quite respectable. Everyone else, why would you go anywhere else?

Cheers Tristan, Yoko and Shim

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Chris P
HanmerBP, Owner at Hanmer Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your lengthy and impressive review. It was a pleasure having you in the hostel for the week and we are glad you enjoyed it too.
One note is that we only have 1 ensuite room, our 5 other rooms are with shared facilities.
We hope to see you return here one day.
All the best,