Mountain View Massage & Wellness Retreat
More attraction details
Owner description: At Mountain View Massage we aim to fuse the best of Pampering Bliss Experience with Holistic Care individual service. We run a homely Day Spa relaxing environment in the beautiful wellness village of Hanmer Springs. In Jan 2015 we relocated to the beautiful premises launched as Vibrant Living Retreat (Previously known as Albergo Lodge B&B & Villa) which is located 88 Rippingale Rd. This is a 15-20 min walk from the hot pools or 5 min drive. We are right next door to Hanmer Springs only Animal Park which also has a great cafe. We recommend that our Day Spa clients take a dip in Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools pre-treatments if this is possible for maximum lasting benefit and value. We also run a wide range of great Wellness Retreats, Detox Retreats and Soulful Women's retreats from the beautiful and peaceful location of Vibrant Living Retreat. You might like to try out our weekly Yoga Classes or have your own private class with our qualified instructor followed by a massage. We offer Spa Escape Packages, Girls Escape Packages and longer pampering packages. The sky is definitely not the limit here ! A place where magic happens ...
Christchurch, New Zealand
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

My partner and I have been many times to mountain view for a massage and will continue. Mary-Jo runs a professional and relaxing business from her home. The room is always clean, warm and peaceful. We have often had a couples massage and I thoroughly recommend it. I have had many massages and I would rate this place one of the best.

Visited November 2012

Hamilton, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Just what the doctor ordered”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I was surprised to read a bad review of MVM. For me it was just gorgeous. Mary Jo has created a place with a lovely, calming, relaxing atmosphere. It is situated on the outskirts of Hanmer Springs township in a modern house. The house is off the main road so nice & quiet. My visit was using a Treatme voucher for a spa bath followed by 60 min massage, and I added in a 60 min facial. I had an outdoor spa bath first with a delicious banana smoothie, this was nice to relax before the treatment. Helena was my therapist for both treatments and did a great job - focussed on points of tension and understood my requirements. I felt nothing was missed out. Suki natural products were lovely used for the facial. MVM also provides yoga workshops and other treatments, see the website. I loved my experience and will be recommending MVM. Nobody does 'welcoming' better than the Irish!

Visited April 2012
3 Thank diepes
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Terrible was not what we were expecting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I brought a deal of grab one for a nights accomodation with shared bathroom massages and pool passes for $199. Well my husband and I went last weekend and were very disappointed. It's advertising was very misleading when we got there we discovered it was somebody's house. Our room was a bedroom with simply a bed in it bathroom was right beside it you could hear any door in the house shut we felt so uncomfortable and the fact there wasn't really anywhere we could sit too enjoy some quality time away along with feeling like we had to whisper in the room made us decide not to stay. We had our massages which we'd booked for just after our arrival. Even the massage wasn't that good to what I normally get they didn't really do anything for me. They didn't even get any knots out it was just like someone rubbing up and down on your back. Needless to say I was bitterly disappointed and felt totally ripped off. Unless you don't mind staying in just a bedroom at someone's else I wouldn't stay here. Good way for them to pay the mortgage with how much they charge.

6 Thank Shontz
New Zealand
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Best massage I've ever had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I've done a fair bit of traveling in my time especially around Asia and had many massages of varying types, so you can image my surprise when I experienced the best massage of my life right here in New Zealand!
What was even more surprising was that it was carried out by the expert hands of a young Irish lady called Mary Jo the owner of the Hanmer Springs Mountain View Massage and Wellness Retreat. Half way around our South Island trip we thought that a massage sounded like a good idea to sooth out the aches and pains of the previous few days walking the Able Tasman Walk.
We were fortunate to discover Mary Jo by chance and three of us (2 ladies and a guy) enjoyed every moment of the experience. The Retreat is located in a quiet residential area overlooking, you've guessed it, the mountains! So you're away from the prying eyes of the tourists in Hanmer itself. What I particularly found so good about this massage was that I really felt Mary Jo understood my individual body. She focused on the parts that needed working on and didn't just go through an impersonal set routine.
She also does yoga if you're into that sort of thing. We were so impressed we ended up staying the night in their comfortable accommodation that is part of the retreat. I would recommend the ensuite room as by far the best value for money.
If your going to the Springs themselves this place is a perfect combination with the therapeutic waters.

Visited February 2012