“Pretty average stay in hammer”

Heritage Hanmer Springs
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Hanmer Springs
Blenheim, New Zealand
“Pretty average stay in hammer”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed here for the second night of our honeymoon. We got the executive suite and it was on the second story. Very very dark and nothing to rave about. However cLean and separate lounge which was nice. Good location but that's about it. Cheaper and nicer places to stay in Hanmer. If you do stay- go for the ground floor. We have stayed 3 times and won't stay again only because of the dark dingy rooms and could get better value for money and a lot nicer elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank delphi1
HeritageHanmer_GM, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear delphi1

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay with us in Hanmer Springs.

Congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for choosing to stay at the Heritage during your Honeymoon. I am sorry to hear that you found the executive suite dark, we are somewhat limited by the size of windows in some of our rooms however we will review the lighting in that particular suite to see if we are able to improve this in anyway.

I do hope that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay and the remainder of your honeymoon.

Tony Howlett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Went here expecting quality. Got a nice room but paid accordingly. Rooms are far too noisy.spa bath sounded like industrial pump station and was embarrassed to use, heard everyone in corridor entire 3 night stay. For price I'd book elsewhere next time

• Stayed July 2011
Dear Roonbeast,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent stay at Heritage Hanmer Springs.

I am very sorry to hear that you were disturbed by neighbouring guests and noise in the corridor outside your room, this is certainly a challenge in many hotels particularly in a building of this age and with the inability to fully control other guest noise and activity. We do however review ways in which we can improve soundproofing as we work through refurbishment projects which we hope will minimise disturbance to our guests.

I also note your comments regarding the Spa bath in your room and have arranged for this to be investigated by our maintenance manager.

Once again thank you for your feedback,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way to Kaikoura. The hotel was nice if a bit old fashioned. We stayed in the main building. The only criticism I really have is that as an older building it has very high ceilings, which look nice, but make the room quite cold if there isn't enough sunlight. We were freezing even with the heater on.

Other than that reasonably standard - a good 4 star hotel, very well placed to restaurants etc and the Spas.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this review, 29 December 2014
Dear Umesh R

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We sincerely apologise for the delay in responding to your review.

As the new General Manager at the hotel, our focus moving forward will be on providing the best possible service and experience for our guests.

Best regards

Duncan Mackenzie
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The hotel chain may be brilliant, as it was in Queenstown, but they are definitely no good with bungalows in Hanmer Springs. It was charged like a high-quality room in the hotel, but it was tiny, the sofa bed was never folded up and made the entrance to the room awkward and uncomfortable. There was very little space to put your luggage away or organize your clothes in any possible way. We were told we would get a newspaper every day, but we got one only one day out of the 4 days. The reception officer was o.k. at best. The whole experience felt like being outcasts. Not good. And as if things could not get any worse, we had a small girl crying loud all night and it felt like there was no door in between. I would recommend not to take a bungalow. Could not say about the rest of the hotel, which looked nice, but I could not experience it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank soalbar
Dear soalbar,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your stay with us in Hanmer Springs. I am very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet with your expectations and apologise for the shortfall in the service you received and inconsistent newspaper delivery.

I note that you stayed with us back in August 2011 and it may be worth knowing that we no longer advertise the use of sofa beds to accommodate additional guests in any of our rooms, as I believe they rarely offer a completely satisfactory solution. We do however have a number of room types which our are more suitable for families in the main hotel building with double/double or double/twin bedding configurations, as well as our three bedroom Villa's which are fully self contained.

My sincere apologies again and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay in the future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 January 2012

When traveling to a location where there is a Heritage, choosing accomodation is easy.

Recently had to spend one night in Hanmer Springs, with it`s location right in the middle of town and the new garden rooms, Heritage was an instant decision.

Quiet, rooms close to the swimming pool and tennis court - nice.

Hand written "welcome back" note a nice touch also.

Larger rooms look lovely, may have to come back with my wife.

ps: if you haven`t stayed at The Heritage Queenstown, do so, especially during autumn or spring when the rates are very cheap - rooms in the old Farmers building in Auckland are also very good.

Gets my vote every time ....

Ian

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Dear NZAvery

Thanks for your review of the Heritage Hanmer Springs. We sincerely apologise for the delay in responding to your review.

As the new General Manager, our focus moving forward will be on providing the best possible service and experience for our guests.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Best regards

Duncan Mackenzie
London
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Didn't feel like a luxury hotel. Room was nice and I slept well but it had a "damped and dark" atmosphere about it. Ordered room service and the food filled me up, but the dessert glass was dirty and looked liked it hadn't been washed between orders. Put me off a bit, I mean if they can't clean something as simple as a glass thoroughly what else did they clean half done?

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
HeritageHanmer_GM, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear Emma A,

Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your stay with us at Heritage Hanmer Springs.

I am very sorry to hear that you found the room in which you stayed to be 'damped and dark' and I would also like to sincerely apologise for the unclean dessert glass you received with your room service. This is certainly not the standard we strive to maintain.

It does appear from your review that you stayed almost one year ago and it may be worth knowing that we have completed a number of refurbishments to our rooms during that time including lighting and carpet which I believe has assisted in considerably improving the look, feel and atmosphere of the room.

Once again thank you for providing your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Te Anau, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My partner and I stayed here, as part of our NZ holiday. Frankly we were not impressed at all, i will admit it was a lovely location and lovely building but overall we were disappointed. The carpets throughout the hotel were dirty and not luxed during the time of our stay, you could clearly see the debris. Our room was not what we had expected, for the price we were paying and the type of package we were on and housekeeping missed alittle, rubbish on the floor and in the rubbish bin.
We had ordered cheese platter and went to eat it and found that there was a fly in it, lucky it was alive( clearly this is no ones fault, but its still ashame). We found the male receptionist to be very blant and rude. For example after letting them know about the fly in the platter, he hung up the phone and has not yet apologised or made an effort to see whether we were ok / happy etc. Also found that they could not handle the pressure of checking poeple out and anwsering phones at the same time. Best staff were the breakfast staff they were, polite, professional and quick. Overall I would not choose to stay at this hotel again and will not be recommending this hotel to any friends or family.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Nikasha N,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay in Hanmer Springs.

I am very sorry to hear about the standard of cleanliness and service you experienced during your stay, particularly from my reception team. I sincerely apologise and have shared your comments with my team in order to help prevent any recurrences.

I have also attached my email address below, if you are able to remember the name of the member of staff at reception, it would be most helpful if you could drop me a line with it. This will enable me to follow up on this feedback with them directly.

I hope to hear from you soon,

tonyh@heritagehotels.co.nz