“Lovely stay, great service, excellent food!”

Heritage Hanmer Springs
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Hanmer Springs
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I decided on the spur of the moment to go to Hanmer for the night. We booked a deal with two passes for the hot pools and full breakfast. It was excellent value for money. We dined at the restaurant that night and although there were only two staff on (it was a Sunday night) and the restaurant was quite busy, we were well looked after by the waiter who could not have done enough for us. Due to it being busy, we said we would be happy to wait by the fire and have a drink, the waiter said we could order our food there and when our table and entree were ready he would let us know. The waiter replaced my husbands drink (free of charge) and brought us a bowl of nuts as he perceived we had been so patient - for us it was a lovely touch because the ambience while sitting by the fire was no hard ship by any stretch of the imagination and we certainly didn't think we had been waiting very long. We could not fault the food - it was delicious and so well presented. The breakfast was great and the dining room is stunning. The only down side would be there is no lift for luggage - but that was a small price to pay for the overall experience we had. All the staff we came in contact with were so helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We didn't choose our own room as such, but we had a great view from the back of the hotel which...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear 123Walker99

Thank you for your review of the Heritage Hanmer Springs.

I have passed on your comments about our staff, particularly the staff in the restaurant. I have passed on your comments to the Restaurant Manager so that the staff are aware of this excellent feedback.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Heritage Hanmer Springs

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We purchased a special offer for one night's stay, a 2-course meal & buffet breakfast.
For less than $300 for the whole lot for both my husband & I combined, I felt like it was good value for money.
We pulled into the hotel, to a full carpark and no parking attendants in sight.
After parking out on the road, we came in to an empty reception (this is at about 7.15pm).
I rang the intercom on the front desk, but we still waited about 3 or 4 minutes before someone appeared.
Friendly enough service, and apologetic for the wait.
Found our room a good size, shower was a good pressure. Enough TV channels that we found something to watch.
Our 2 course dinner was very nice, I had the braised pork shoulder, and it was falling apart, though I felt it was a little lacking in sides.
I had a meringue coconut roulade for dessert, and this was also really nice.
Not as much selection at the bar as I had hoped. No flavoured vodkas listed etc.
Upstairs after dinner, could hear a lot of squeaking of the floorboards in the hallway outside our room, but didn't mind it too much, as its an old building, and is all part of the appeal.
Beds are really comfy, and although I normally HATE zipped beds, I didnt mind this one at all.
Quite an early check out at 10am, a lot of other places we have stayed at, it has been 11am, but no big deal.
Buffet breakfast was very nice, you have to try the danishes, and lots of variety.
Overall, a nice night away, but nothing spectacular about the customer service.
Would recommend though.

2  Thank Louise T
GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Response posted 20th August 2014

Dear Louise T

Thanks very much for your review of the hotel.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, however it is a concern that there was a delay in greeting you on arrival.

Please let me know which day you stayed at the hotel and I will follow up to make sure that we are doing the best we can to provide excellent customer service.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We`d been over to NZ from the UK, roadtripping around after seeing Queens of the Stone Age in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, had covered 4000 miles and were one day away from the end of our trip.
A lot of people had mentioned Hanmer Springs and its relaxing spas; so we thought we`d indulge a bit and stay here, as we`d been so pleased with the Heritage Hotel we`d stay in at Queenstown.
On arrival we were shown upstairs to a room that was very splendid, but had no balcony for the smoker in me. Yet we were convinced we`d requested a garden room.
So after lugging our heavy cases back down the stairs we were given another key and a map of directions for how to get there.
There, being right at the very far end of the hotel gardens in the last chalet with a view of nothing but trees, and a bit of the mountains, if you craned your neck. So we assumed the hotel must be nearly full, and that's all they had.
But no, it was like a ghost town. We had no neighbours whatsoever, and only saw 20 other guests, at most, the whole 18 hours we stayed here. So why were we not put into somewhere with a bit more accessible scenery?
We couldn`t fault the cleanliness, the hotel has a certain newish charm, but it seemed to have no soul or character.
The staff, as helpful as they were, we can`t fault their demeanour, but there wasn`t much jollity or voluntary interaction in the way of pleasantries.
Certainly not somewhere we`ll be returning to.
Oh, we did get a very good picture of the sunset from the hotel grounds...here`s one for the staff: See if you can figure out where we took it from.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat-and-Maria
GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Pat and Maria

Thanks for your review of the hotel. It’s a shame that your experience at the Heritage Hanmer Springs was mixed.

I am the new General Manager at the hotel - for nearly 4 weeks now - and I have made a concerted effort for staff to focus on customer service going forward because we are nothing without our guests!

Regarding your booking for a Garden Room, we believe that this may have been a quirk of one of the online booking websites where we can’t change the name of the room on the website from a Garden Room even though we know it is not the correct room description. Did you make your booking online?

Thanks for your photo! It took me a couple of minutes to figure it out because I am new here, but one of our reception staff who has been here a bit longer picked it in about 2 seconds flat! It’s the view back over the stones in the driveway towards the west (where the sun sets).

Pat and Maria, thanks again for your feedback and please rest assured that we are taking steps to improve our service and the overall ambience at the hotel. We hope you enjoyed your trip to New Zealand and we hope that one day we will see you again.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Service was terrible, I was asked for ID (because of the minibar in the room) I have never been asked this before. No lift, there was only stairs which was not fun with a large heavy bag. The room was really small and there was no rubbish bin. Was woken up by the next room in the morning with the shower/bath going, I could not believe how loud it was. The only thing that was good was the bed was comfortable but other than that I would not stay here again.

2  Thank Jemz-01
GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Jemz-01

Thanks for your feedback on the hotel. We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.

Please let me know which room you were staying in and on which date and I will follow up with the hotel staff to find out what happened.

Thanks.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

It was very nice room was very nice and relaxing only stayed one night but was really nice. Would definitely go back. The breakfast was amazing with lots of variety and the staff were very nice welcoming and friendly

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear EmmaH

Thanks for your review of the hotel.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Best regards.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My Wife and I have just spent 3 wonderful days at the Heritage Hotel, and could not fault it.
On arrival, parking was easy, and we received a most efficient and friendly welcome. Our room was spacious and clean, and the Bathroom huge! The heating was super efficient, and as the temperature plunged to -6 degrees was certainly appreciated.
We did not intend to eat in the hotel for more than one night, but the combination of a fabulous meal the first night, together with the charisma and efficiency of our Waitstaff, Petyo and Orshi, convinced us to repeat it each night. We were not disappointed!
We look forward to staying there again in the near future.

1  Thank JellyNZ
GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Jelly NZ

Thanks for posting a review of your recent stay at the Heritage Hotel Hanmer Springs.

We are really happy you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your positive feedback about our staff. I will make sure that Petyo and Orshi are aware of your great feedback and are commended for their excellent customer service.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Down from Auckland for a weekend away we could not have chosen a better place to stay. We stayed in a Garden Suite together with our son, 7 years. The room was clean with good bedding, heating and shower, Great views towards the mountains. We booked dinner at Isobel's the on site restauarant. The staff were excellent, friendly and efficient. We had a young man serve us for the evening, Sudipt, He was very professional and had a great attitude. Food was outstanding, steak cooked to perfection and great hand made chips. My wife had the pasta which was also very good. Heritage Hamner Springs is located in the heart of Hamner Springs a short walk from the hot pools. I would recommend this little tourist village. There is much to do with rafting, hiking, mountain biking, fishing and jet boating. Good cafes and restuarants. It is a enjoyable 90 minute vehicle transfer from Christchurch. Stop off at Pukeko Junction for a mid way break with good food and service,

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
GM_HeritageHanmer, Manager at Heritage Hanmer Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear rbd1890

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the hotel. We really appreciate your excellent feedback about our hotel and our staff – they are our biggest asset!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Best regards