“Great service with fantastic food”

No.31 Restaurant & Bar
Price range: US$12 - US$29
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The former "Laurels" Restaurant re-opened its doors in May 2012, as "No.31 Restaurant & Bar", an A la Carte Restaurant specializing in modern European/New Zealand Cuisine. The restaurant is set in a quaint character cottage on the main street of Hanmer Springs. French doors open out to a lovely courtyard for alfresco dining and an outside bar leaner for pre-dinner drinks/cocktails in the warmer months. Inside the restaurant it is very homely, with an open fire, wooden floors and candle-lit tables. Award winning chef/owner, Michael van de Wiel ( previous chef/owner at "The Old Post Office Restaurant", Hanmer Springs, for 12 years). Fully Licensed and NOT BYO. Reservations Recommended.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We saw the restaurant on the way into town and decided on a whim to try it out so rang and made a reservation. It was a good decision the reception was warm and friendly, the service was professional and accommodating and the food was fantastic and the serving was just the right amount. We will go back

There are newer reviews for No.31 Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Sensational food, fabulous service and beautiful local wines. We couldn't fault it! Our compliments to the chef, we will most definitely return!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

As our birthdays are a week apart (in date, not years) my wife and I have a tradition of taking off somewhere for our special birthday weekend together, and this time it was for a relaxing/pampering/luxurious weekend at Hanmer Springs. As many people do, when I was researching a restaurant for a sumptuous meal I came here to Trip Advisor first, and found No. 31 rated at the top. In reading the reviews and their on-line menu I thought it was definitely worth giving a try.
From the first contact for making reservations through to the farewell as we went out the door, I can't think of anything they could have done better. We started with the caramelized red onion tart and grilled scallop entrees (we were hungry after a full day of hiking followed by massages!) Absolutely delicious! My wife had the confit of duck leg, while I had the beef filet, which I must say was likely the best I've had to date in New Zealand. We finished by sharing the hot sticky licorice pudding -- which was also fabulous. I have to confess that we don't usually eat this much.......but it was a special evening after all. The meal was accompanied by a bottle of Pinotage. (Their wine list could be described as not being exotic, but still solid with some very good choices).

Service was also top notch, with the waitstaff being just the right balance of attentiveness and personal care without being annoying.

All in all a really wonderful evening -- far better than expected. Very highly recommended!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were luckly enough to get a booking on the Sunday evening of Queens Birthday weekend and arrived to find our table was positioned in front of the open fire - bliss! We started with delicious cocktails while our wine was brought to room temperature. Three out of four of us chose different meals and they were all beautifully cooked and presented, with perfectly matched flavours. In this reviewers opinion the best was yet to come - Chocolate Fondant - it was unsurpassed and my companions, who thoroughly enjoyed their Afragarto's, were given just a small taste; if I had room I would have ordered seconds! The staff here provide excellent, unintrusive service to the point that we were the last to leave. If you are looking for special occassion fine dining this is the place to go in Hanmer. This is our third visit and we will go back.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

One of the best meals I have eaten in a long while. Excellent meal size, presentation and totally delivering on flavour. Great service and not over priced. I would definitely return.