“Showers only last 15 minutes, watch out!”

Greenacres Chalets And Apartments
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Hanmer Springs
Reviewed 24 May 2010

My partner and I stayed at this motel for 1 night, around 8.30pm I had a 10 minutes shower, my partner followed soon after and 5 minutes into her shower the water turned cold while she was washing her hair.

The manager told me that 15 minutes shower was too long and the hot water system would take one hour to heat up again. He also told us that the whole complex was full and there was no spare showers available. I then boiled the jug 3 times to help my partner wash her hair, by the time we got into bed at 9.30pm, her body was so cold it wasn't funny.

To top the bad night off, we had to endure 90 minutes of loud base music from next door, all we could hear is duff duff. I didn't trouble the manager again because I have already troubled him once.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 March 2010

Our townhouse was spacious,spotless with amazing vistas from its 2 large balconies.
The short distance from downtown ensured a peaceful nights sleep. A beautiful walk thru conifer and beech forests is a couple minutes from the property with stunning views over the surrounding countryside.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2010

Stayed here for a night in a chalet, the owners were friendly and accomodating. The accomodation was comfortable and warm, the bathroom was old and in need of an update. It had a full kitchen with all the utensils you could need. Wifi internet was good. As was the laundry which we found to be clean. You could not walk to town, well the motel is atop a hill and wouldnt be a comfortable walk back up!

Very good value for money motel.

We found Hanmer springs to be touristy and expensive but I guess since it is a weekend getaway place for the Christchurch locals that is why.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2010

We have been to stay here 3 times now and just love it. Evrery time we have family from the UK we take them here. The setting is just beautiful, on a peaceful site. The accommodation is clean and ideal for families. My kids just love staying here. But one of the things that really makes it are the owners, they are so welcoming, friendly and helpful. We will continue staying here every time we go back to Hanmer Springs.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We underestimated our time in driving up from Dunedin to Hanmer Springs and called the Motel around 5 saying we would not be arriving till 9-9:30 (We arrived around 9) The lady at the desk, don't know if she owned Greenacres Motel or not, was very short and unfriendly and said, "oh, I may be I in bed by then". We asked if she'd let us call a bit before we got there to inform her exactly when we'd be arriving and she reluctantly said she would and that our "townhouse" (which we didn't book) is hard to find. When we got there she was rushed and unhappy and gave us poor directions to our accommodations and unfortunately we couldn't find it in the dark (no lights, no signage, no map). Anyway we finally found it. Her negativity spoiled our experience there. The room was huge, in fact we got two rooms with a livingroom and kitchen. We didn't book that so that was great. The bathroom situation was odd in that it had 3 tiny bathrooms. One with tub and sink, one with a toilet, and one with a shower.
If it weren't for the very unfriendly lady, I might recommend Greeacres Motel but because of her attitude I would definitely NOT recommend it.
The town itself was OK, very touristy and not where I'd go to again. There's so many more beautiful places to go in New Zealand that aren't touristy, why go there.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We booked here for 2 nights with the main selling point being the spa pool..it was broken..and according to the caretaker manager had been broken for some time. This was a huge disappointment for my fiance and I, and had we known of this beforehand would have stayed somewhere else. The caretaker manager was very indifferent to this, with no offer of anything to make up for this..I thought perhaps a discounted voucher for the pools in town would have been offered..
We decided to take an extra 40 minutes to check out which was obviously a major disruption for the manager..and she made quite a point in letting us know. Lighten up!! You have not given us 1 good reason to recommend this property to any of our friends and associates..

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
rbbalemi, owner at Greenacres Chalets And Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2009

I am really sorry that you and your fiane did not have a pleasent stay with us when you visited and that the spa was under repair when you were here and you found our manager unhelpful and unfriendly. We have spoken to her about your comments and she sorry she felt that she was unable to rectify your dissapointment, we had given her no instuction as to what to do in this situation and have since found a solution.
We are endeavouring to improve the interior decor of the Chalets as we realise that it in need of upgrading but I think that you will find that this is reflected in price which you paid for the room. Our check out is 10 am. We do give later check outs if our customers request it the day before. It is sometimes not possible as we have to clean the Chalets before the next visitors arrive. I am sure if you had communicated that you would have liked a later check out the evening before it would have been fine.
We do not claim to be 5 star, but comfortable, cosy Chalets.We have not owner the business long and we are upgrading the Chalets but it is going to take time to get round them all. I know that you may not stay with us again but you would be welcome. We would offer you a to a free Spa in our newly renovated pool and we would upgrade you to a newly decorated Chalet to compenstate for your dissapointment if you do wish to try us again.

Reviewed 22 July 2009

We stayed in one of the townhouse apartments. We felt like we were in a time capsule to the 60s-- everything was in perfect shape, but extremely dated. This was no big deal, but our visit was during a chilly period and the place was freezing. We could get the main room decently warm, but the hallway and bathroom were arctic the whole time. The view from the balcony is very nice, but I would only consider returning during the warm months and if other options were not available.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Thanks for your comments. We take on board that you were cold in the town house and have since been and stayed up there ourselves and found that a similar problem and have put in an extra heater as a temporary measure. We are hoping to install a fire place in the lounge before next winter and better heating in the hall and bathrooms.
We have an upgrade programme underway for all the Chalets and Townhouses as we realise that they have been let go by prevous owners and are out of date and tired. This is reflected in our current tarriff and qualmark rating. We do endevour to keep them clean, well equiped and hopefully now warm and cosy. We hope that you would try us again in the future and you will be plesently surprised.