“Not all pools open”

Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools and Jet Boat Day Trip from Christchurch
US$42.06*
Mini-Group Entry to Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools and Spa
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My family went to pools twice in 24 hours ($85) and we noticed that not all of the pools were open, it was not such a issue during the evening visit but the following day during peak hour the pools that were open were jam packed with the closed pools just sitting there with signs saying "pools closed to save the environment". This is wrong in my opinion, if you pay top dollar for a experience you expect everything open regardless of what month/time it is.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Spent the day in the springs during off season. Had the whole place to ourselves. Friendly staff and fantastic experience-a must if visiting Hamner springs.

We decided on a massage next door which gave us $12 entry bonus to springs.

Recommend splitting the massage to another day as the springs are so relaxing alone.

Book ahead as this place gets crazy in peak season. 4000 a day in the springs alone.

Recommend the deep tissue massage 1hr if going the little bit extra.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Very disappointed main thermal pool not hot and only 1open. Family changing rooms not up to standard heaters taken out

1  Thank Shirleymac244
Shane A, Marketing Manager at Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Shirleymac244, thanks for taking the time to post a review. We will take your feedback onboard.

Occasionally in winter we do have issues with the temperature of the water we pump up from underground. This can affect some of our pools, but it is usually short-lived. We are continuing to work on ways to prevent this.

Re your comment that there was only one pool open, you may be referring to our main thermal pools – the hexagonal pools – of which there are three. Sometimes, we close one or two of these if it is quiet. This saves energy use and is part of our environmental policy. However we do have 18 pools in total and there are always at least 13 pools open.

The heaters in the family changing rooms were old and needed replacement. They are being replaced as part of the current changing room upgrades.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had been driving for 4 hours and were cold and tired (and old with hip, frozen shoulder and sprained wrist injuries sustained skiing) and so were overjoyed to find the council run pools still open at 7.55(til 9) AND they had womens costumes for rent. I asked for a 14 & the young girl held up a very well worn Speedo and asked if that would do - hard to say but I took it. It was dark, raining and cold and as I hadn't been there before I followed the signs to the change room which was quite a walk in the rain but apparently there are change rooms much nearer. Standing on cold wet concrete and trying to not get my clothes wet, wrestling a frozen shoulder it became apparent the costume was too small. Rather than take it off and put my 3 layers of clothes back on, I kept it on and put a jumper on, carried all my things back through the rain to the kiosk. I had left $5o as a deposit and asked for a bigger costume whereupon the older lady asked for the first one back and when I told her I was wearing it, she said no I would have to go back to the change rooms, get dressed, come back, get the next size, go back and get changed again. It was now 8.15 & I pointed out to her that it was all a bit difficult especially with my injuries. She didn't care - that was how it was so I said I would get dressed and not go in as it was becoming less attractive by the second - it was 2 degrees and I had bare feet and swimmers on concrete in the rain whereas she was fully dressed in a heated kiosk. Very put out I started going back to the change room and met the male members of my family who told me not to be stupid, it was dark, no one would see, go in wearing my underwear which I did, eventually getting into the water about 8.25. When we left, I was happy enough to pay the $25 entry for my 35 mins in the pool - could have been there all day for the same price - but when I gave her my completely dry swimmers, I pointed out that it have never been used and it was a bit unfair to pay $5. "Well you're not getting your money back" and that was it. We had intended to come back the next day but she left such a sour taste in my mouth we didn't bother - what was the point in her behaviour? How did it make anyone any happier??

1  Thank margueritespot
Shane A, Marketing Manager at Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear margueritespot,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are concerned to read of your experience with us.

Given the nature of your review, I would like to discuss the issues you raise directly with you. I would appreciate if you can contact me at info@hanmersprings.co.nz, attention Shane, with your email address.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Not a bad way to spend a couple hours in Hanmer. My wife and I pool hopped for a couple hours and that was plenty for us. We had the good fortune of having it snow while we were there which was really cool. Not rushing back to do it again, but glad we did it.