“Excellent food and service”
Review of Malabar Restaurant

Malabar Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Description: Malabar Restaurant in Hanmer Springs has won accolades for its food and great passion for detail. Cuisine Magazine, Zest in The Press, North & South magazine, Lonely Planet and Rough Guide have all lauded Malabar. You too can dine out on its great reputation.We serve a fusion of cuisine in contemporary style with special emphasis on flavours that incorporate the best of local produce complemented by local and international beers and fine New Zealand wines including award-winning vintages from the nearby Waipara Valley Wine region.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had an excellent dinner here over the weekend while staying at Hanmer Springs. The duck main was superb and I'd highly recommend this. Fairly pricey but the food was excellent and beautifully presented. The service was also great - the restaurant was very busy but we got served promptly with a smile and were looked after well. I suggest you book in advance if you want to eat here, as it appears as if this is one of the most popular restaurants in Hanmer.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The food was excellent. I'm not qualified to say whether it was authentic or not, but I've eaten at many Indian restaurants around the world and this was up there with the best. Would certainly return. The Rogan Josh (lamb shank) was delicious -- it had clearly been stewing for a while, with the meat and potatoes soaking up the spices. The service was excellent, and the price was reasonable considering the location.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

As we were walking past the restaurant the spice smell drew us ever closer, and we decided to sample the menu
It is called an Indian fusion menu but I am afraid I found it a confusion. On a personal level none of the meals were overly appetizing, so I settled for spicy lamb shanks
Sorry but it missed the mark disastrously
The setting and staff are great but I am afraid the food is nowhere near decent Indian.
A poor eating experience in a lovely setting is the best I can say

2  Thank Lee G
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed returning to the Malabar restaurant. The service was excellent, attentive but didn't crowd. Loved the authentic Indian food I ate although was overpriced for what it was. The gas fire provides a warm atmosphere especially in winter.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We dined at Malabar today as part of our 20th wedding anniversary celebrations. I'll be honest, this sort of dining would normally be above our price range but we decided to give it a try as we wanted to try something new and go for something a little bit special. We weren't disappointed.

The fine dining experience is clearly a passion for Anette & Sudip and this passion shines through in everything they do at Malabar. The service, the presentation, the flavours, the ambience and even the advice if you're not sure what to have is just 100 percent.

We were not alone in our reviews. Many of the customers leaving as we were waiting to be seated, also had a very pleasant evening and were clearly very excited about their culinary experiences.

We had the scallops, fish curry, lamb rogan josh, and the affogotto. Some photos included.

You simply cannot come to Hanmer without dining here.