“GREAT Family Vacation - THANK YOU!”

Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Virgil
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I purchased a 2 night, 3 day stay including 2 days of waterpark passes via Groupon. We had not read any of the reviews and really had little idea as to what we would encounter.

Before I purchased the Groupon I had a ton of questions as I didn't want to spend $$$ to find they could not accommodate us for the dates we were able to travel. I did have a little problem reaching someone as they must have been inundated with calls that day. Once I got a clerk, he was VERY helpful. I am so sorry I don't have his name at hand... I will find it and post it. He spent a good bit of time attempting to get us exactly what we wanted. So I ended up buying the Groupon deal for a family of 4.

We arrived on Wednesday 7/23 around 4pm in a torrential storm. Our room was ready, check-in was easy, no problems with our reservation or Groupon. Mikayla(sp) checked us in and gave us the run down of what to expect during our stay - Sam was very helpful as well. She was super pleasant and helpful throughout the stay. We were stunned to see how CLEAN the place was. It is only about 4-5 years old, so everything is new! There were lots of people checking in and out and I never heard a single complaint. I found the entire listing of activities, times and locations set out conveniently for all to find. While the rooms are on the smaller side, there were many amenities in there; a full size oven/stove, microwave, full size dishwasher, full size refrigerator, sink, toaster, coffee maker (with coffee) and a full set of dishes/glasses/silverware/pots/pans/cleaning supplies, etc. All clean and NEW looking!

The boys were anxious to get to the waterpark, so we quickly changed and walked about 30 feet from our room to the door of the arcade (also entrance to waterpark). The clerk took our tickets, gave us our wristbands and we were in the wave pool in under 5 minutes! We swam until the park closed at 8pm (weekdays), which we felt was a very reasonable time for a water park to close. The park was VERY clean, there were plenty of warm, fresh towels to dry off with and my oldest son (11) was mesmerized by the swim-suit drying machine they have in the mens and womens bathrooms (GREAT thing to have to help spin dry your suit!). Met some really nice folks who also purchased the Groupon special and EVERYONE agreed it was a GREAT deal and they would do it again.

We ate at the Acorn Grill. No complaints about the food or the cost. When you go in vacation and eat in a hotel, you EXPECT to pay a bit higher price for the convenience of not having to leave the facilities. Kids were satisfied and hubby & I enjoyed our sandwiches and salads. The service was great. We did purchase the fixings for S'mores at the gift shop. We met the same folks at the fire pit that we swam with earlier in the day. Everyone enjoyed themselves. Showers and bed time - SUPER comfortable beds, clean linens and as close as we were to the water park, we never heard the pitter patter of feet the entire time!

Thursday AM, we ate at the buffet in Acorn Grill. Tami was our server and she was so incredibly sweet and helpful! Breakfast was reasonable. Food was tasty. Everyone was full and ready to start our day. The boys insisted on doing the crafts - small cost no biggie, they loved their sand bottles. The girls in the craft room were so kind and helpful. My older son and I got massages from the spa - Sonya was lovely and did a wonderful job. I have never heard my son quiet for 30 minutes since the day he was born! We spent nearly the entire day in the water park from open to close. Only got out long enough to eat at the grill in the park (food was fairly decent and priced less than what you would expect for a facility like this - large cheese pizza was $14). Once again dinner at Acorn Grill and S'mores at the fire pit. Finally retired to bed after showers. The boys were going to be surprised to find out that I had made arrangements with Mikayla to stay another night. She couldn't let us stay in the same room as it was already booked, but she discounted another room. Thank Bonnie (GM???) - I know you helped us out too!

Friday AM - we packed up, told the boys we were staying, but moving out. They were thrilled. We gave our stuff to Rick(?) at the front desk, who locked it away for us as our new room wouldn't be ready for a while. Since we technically did check out, Roseann gave us the discount passes to the Adventure Park and we drove across the street for a full day of excitement! We arrived at 11:30, the staff there helped us figure out the best deals for us and we played there till just before closing! I did zip-lines (AMAZING - check off my bucket list) and tons of coaster rides with the kids and hubby. They played laser tag for hours. While we are used to indoor glow-in-the dark laser tag, this was different for us, but my boys were thrilled, so who cares if it wasn't what we liked!? We had SUCH a great time and it was due to the fun loving staff. Ok, if I forgot your name, I am sorry... Rachel B, Mariah S, Danielle, Taylor, Clay, Wayne & Wyatt (thanks guys for the zip line tour and for getting my butt safe to my family!) We ate at TRAX for dinner. Kids had all you can eat pizza buffet - with the most delicious pizzas ever. We shared a plate of wings and they were really good. We came back to our new room (smaller, but still super nice), the "men" worked out at the nice gym. Showers, did S'mores again and bed-time...

Saturday AM we did bagels in the room - bought at the gift shop. As we were going out, we ran into the Sales Manager, Sheila, who happened to live in our neck of the woods for a while. She asked if we were staying another night and we told her we weren't sure. She told us to hold on and she said since we were having such a great time and we really didn't want to leave, they would give us another night at a discounted rate. We were thrilled and happy to hang out another day/night. We drove to Watkins Glen and walked down the park, which we HIGHLY recommend to everyone visiting in the area. So beautiful! We then went to Robert H. Treman Park, swam in the gorge and sat under waterfalls, An amazing experience! Be prepared for super cold water! We brought dinner back to the room, then joined a bunch of the guests outside to watch the Lego Movie! It was such a nice night. Finally we showered and slept.

Sunday would be our final day at Hope Lake Lodge. The boys were super sad to leave. My youngest made us promise we would come back for our next family vacation. It is a promise we intend to keep!

I know I have neglected to get everyone's names and I am extremely sorry. You all were so much fun and so helpful. I must have asked half a dozen people what you all took as there were smiles on everyone's faces all day. What is in your water?? Thanks again for a memorable vacation and see you in 2015 if not before! Happily your newest fans, the Jacob Family.

7  Thank Karen J
Bonnie H, General Manager at Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Jacob Family,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice detailed review of your stay. It seems you experienced so many things while you were here and enjoyed them all! I know guests like to read other reviews before they stay so yours should be very helpful.

Thank you for extending your stay with us! I am glad we were able to make that work for you and your family so the fun could continue on.

The employees appreciate your public thank you - we really have some great, hardworking staff that works here. Thank you for acknowledging them.

We hope to see your family again in the future!

There are newer reviews for Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Using Groupon we received a good price for two nights for the six of us. The room was very clean and of a good size for us. The waterpark was a bit young for our 9 - 15 year olds but they made the best of it.
We highly recommend going to the Trax restaurant across the street and get their pizza buffet. It was excellent but only open on Friday and Saturday nights. Our family had a great time on the zip line tour and the mountain coaster. Highly recommend purchasing the Adventure tickets if your children will like doing both the zip lining and the mountain coaster.

1  Thank djchapman77

Thank you for your recent visit to Greek Peak Mountain Resort! I am glad that you found us and really glad you and your family ventured out to enjoy several of the amenities at the resort.

Please keep us in mind for your winter get-a-way too; between the great skiing/snowboarding, tubing and cross country skiing, there is plenty of fun all year around.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Visted July 22-24 and loved the hotel. Staff was kind, dined at the Acorn grill and food was good yet expensive. Only two other families were in the whole restaurant. Waterpark was included in our package and was small but fun. Not sure if I would pay the extra $$ for admission otherwise. We went to hope lake next door and did canoeing and pedalboats for $6/hr. Thought that was reasonable. Staff there was very friendly. Was disappointed with the evenings at the hotel. Found it quite boring. The only thing going on was a campfire which was nice. Bring your own marshmallows for roasting or pay for some in the gift shop. Water park opens at noon and closes at 8 on weeknights which is ridiculous. Even the outdoor pool closes when the waterpark closes. The manager there should make more of an effort to provide entertainment for the guests in the evenings. Have a movie playing in the lobby with popcorn, have trivia games in the lobby with prizes, have the waterpark open from 10-10 EVERYDAY not just weekends. Have a staff member lead a sing a long by the campfire at night for families. The hotel is nice but needs to offer more in terms of entertainment for the price they are charging to stay there.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Frenchie1971
Bonnie H, General Manager at Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us at Hope Lake Lodge & Indoor Waterpark. We appreciate your business and appreciate your feedback.

I hope that you enjoyed yourself and will consider another visit to our resort. There is plenty to do in the surrounding finger lakes region all year around!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Took a lovely drive across northwestern NY to stay at HL Lodge with the family for two nights. Lovely spot 20 minutes outside of Cortland. Very laid back and quiet. Kids had fun in the waterpark which is a scaled down version of Great Wolf Lodge. Highly recommend the Adventure Center across the street for zip lining and coaster ride (Alan and John were fabulous). Great hiking too. Only a small problem with the sink in our room (leaking) but overall a nice stay. The staff were extremely helpful. For those coming from Canada or Buffalo area, take the western Seneca Lake route to test all the wineries/breweries and a stop in Watkins Glen.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor at didn't hear a thing.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the kind review on TripAdvisor. We are so glad you found us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at the lodge 7/21-7/23. We were a family of 6 adults and 6 children 10 & under. The waterpark is wonderful for any children 12 and under (over 12 might be bored with this waterpark). The lodge is in a good location for outdoor activities like hiking and swimming (recommend you research nearby trails and state park). The only reasons I am not rating this lodge as excellent are as follows: 1-Acorn restaurant in hotel was not particularly good. Would not recommend. 2- The staff, although friendly, was in short supply. Had to request front desk to open the 24 hour gift shop and wait at front desk for check in and check out was long due to minimal staffing. 3-Lighting in bathrooms and in room was poor. 4-outdoor pool should have some umbrellas for shade. Lodge/room was clean and kitchen fully equipped. Loved the mountain coaster at the adventure park associated with lodge and located across street from lodge.

1  Thank EllaN6
Bonnie H, General Manager at Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your recent visit to Hope Lake Lodge & Indoor Waterpark. I appreciate your feedback and will share with the staff.

I hope you enjoyed your stay and will consider visiting again soon. Winters here are amazing for guests of all ages!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We just returned from a stay at the Hope Lake Lodge that was purchased through groupon. Here is what we found...

Lobby: Nicely decorated and comfortable with a large fireplace and cabin décor. Exposed woodbeams and rustic feel furniture. The front desk staff was helpful and receptive to questions.

Room: We stayed in a room with one queen bed and a pull out sofa. The room also featured a gas fireplace and the best part for our family was the FULL KITCHEN. We are not talking mini-fridge and sink, it has a full fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher and is fully outfitted for anything you may want to make in your room. Plenty of room for drinks, snacks and food. We had breakfast in our room each morning and were able to make lunches to bring on our day trips around the area. You could certainly do more cooking if you would like to, but we chose to eat out for dinners.

Restaurant: We did eat in the Acorn Grill one night. The food was mediocre and I would recommend looking elsewhere for your meals.

Facilities: We loved the outdoor pool. It is small, but is a comfortable temperature and they utilize a saltwater filtration system so you are not overwhelmed by chlorine. The pool and hot tub are both primarily outdoor, but they do attach to the indoor waterpark. The water park is small, consisting of a wave pool, 4 tube slides and a couple of smaller waterplay areas. Our kids were happy playing there each afternoon after returning to the hotel. Our room came with 4 one day passes to the park, and since the adults were not interested in going down the slides, the kids were able to use the passes on two days. There is also a small arcade that the kids enjoyed. Typical of arcades...collect tickets get silly prizes, but the kids love that. I didn't use the fitness center, but did check out the equipment. I would judge it to be well equipped. The laundry center was one washer and one dryer. $1.50 to wash $1 to dry.

Activities: There are scheduled events during the day including arts and crafts and make your own ice cream sundaes. We were typically out during the day, but did enjoy the nightly campfire. We brought our own marshmallows and had smores. The kids played in the yard, enjoyed playing ladderball and cornhole.

All in all, the trip was a lot of fun and the kids have requested we return. We also visited the Adventure Center across the street at Greek Peak...look for that review separately.

Room Tip: Entrance to the pool, arcade, and waterpark is on the second floor.
3  Thank TaraM_3

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your visit to Hope Lake Lodge. I realize many people like to read reviews before traveling so I appreciate your descriptions.

I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we will get to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Refused me a late check out, they had to unlock the gift shop every time you wanted to go in, every time I called down to the front desk I would have to call at least 5 times just to get someone to answer. Then I tried asking about all of the activities and stuff to do and all the front desk could do was tell me to go find a brochure around the corner. You would think the hotel would know what amenities they offer and could tell you. The water-park didn't open until 12 every day and closed by 8pm. The rooms themselves were nice but that is all. I will never go here again! I paid over 700 dollars for 1 night and it was such a waste of money. Dont waste your money! Go somewhere else!

Room Tip: 1 bedroom rooms.
1  Thank bindy41187
Also consider these accommodations in or near Virgil
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland
Best Western Plus Finger Lakes Inn & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca
Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
The Statler Hotel at Cornell University
Courtyard Ithaca Airport/University

Been to Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center? Share your experiences!