“Nice Getaway”

GreenLeadersGold level
Lombard, Illinois
“Nice Getaway”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have thought quite a bit about what I wanted to say in this review.
My wife and I stayed here for a week in July 2014. We chose this place because we are Global Discovery members and we wanted to go the National Baseball Hall of Fame. This was the closest place and we were very excited when we checked out the place ahead of time.
CHECK IN:
Our first impression, during check in, was that the staff, although friendly, was not very knowledgeable regarding check-in procedures (this would be a bit of a harbinger of things to come). Once we got checked in and got into our room, we found it pleasant, although very dimly lit. The only lights in the bedroom were on the nightstands or on the desk - nothing turned on with the switch at the door and no overhead lights. Needless to say, at night, this presented a bit of a problem. We were pleased that the kitchen was outfitted well and was what we anticipated...the utensils were not in perfect condition but we have come to expect this at these type of places. It was certainly enough to eat several meals "at home".
THE ACORN:
We got in late and didn't have time to hit the grocery store (WalMart) so we decided to try this place. Unfortunately it was a disappointment. The service was not good - the waitress initially delivered us a wrong meal (!) even though there were only a couple of tables dining (It was fairly late although well within the posted dining hours). The food itself was ok, but it was more expensive than the quality of food and service warranted. Best thing was convenience.
AMENITIES:
We were excited when reading about the rental bikes, the frisbee golf course, etc. Unfortunately there wasn't anyone on the staff that was able to tell us much about them. We asked about the disc golf course and were given a very poorly written map - not much help at all. The starting places are not marked and the course was difficult to find. We eventually found our way around...using the excuse that at least it was good exercise. We asked about the rental bikes and all we were told was "I think it's just out in the shed". Obviously we didn't pursue that any further.
The pool was nice, well maintained and clean. The staff was very alert and on top of things. Our package only came with discounted tickets to the indoor water park so we did not use them as it was smallish and not really designed for two 50-somethings. We expected this and were fine with it. The pool hours were odd, but we dealt with it ok.
OTHER ISSUES:
Our pass keys failed to work after the second day which resulted in a long walk to the desk - we were in the last room on the top floor, so this was more inconvenient than it otherwise would be, but this is one of my pet peeves.

All week we saw ads posted for a restaurant at the Greek Peak resort across the street. It was only open on Fridays and Saturdays from 4-10pm, so we thought we would try it on Friday - our last night before heading home. We walked across the way - found our way upstairs and were extremely disappointed to find that the place was closed to the general public due to a festival that was going on. We had seen ads for the festival as well, but there was no mention of this place being closed on this day. It certainly would have been easy enough to post something about this as they didn't have any problem in advertising for the restaurant. As we didn't have any more food to cook and there isn't much in the immediate area and the Acorn was out of the question, this resulted in a drive into Cortland. Very inconsiderate on someone's part - and that leads me to the final thought.

It seemed to me that, as this was off-season for this ski resort, we felt that we were treated that way. Maybe they train new staff during the summer, maybe the regular folks are all on vacation - it just didn't feel like anyone was running the place.
The final kick was the fact that we couldn't reach anyone for the express checkout. The instructions read to call a certain number on the phone, but no one picked up. This resulted in us standing in line to get checked out - even though we had zero additional room charges and we were paid if full - not so express.

Overall the place provided what we wanted - mostly piece and quite - access to the pool, the lake - a day trip to Cooperstown and another one to Rochester - the ability to have some meals "at home" and save some money on dining. We just felt like we it wasn't all it could have been.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the pool have a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ron S
Bonnie H, General Manager at Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that we have set out to provide for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas of improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future as we have many great amenities to enjoy year round.

We strive to improve in all aspects of our business and hope to surpass our standards on a future visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We recently returned from a week (5 days) at Hope Lake Resort and I'm wishing I was back there now. We had such a nice time and loved our spacious suite with loft, 2 bathrooms, fireplace & full kitchen. (In spite of the full kitchen and grocery delivery, I have no intention of cooking on vacation, so the on-site restaurant and room service were greatly appreciated!)

We were disappointed to learn that the on-site lake (fishing, boating, etc) was temporarily closed due to toxic algae in the area, but we were able to enjoy these activities at nearby Whitney Point.
The resort's water park is small, but still fun (even for teens). The Adventure Center was terrific - especially the mountain coaster, which we road again and again.

Unfortunately, everything (even the pool) closes at 8 PM, so there's nothing to do in the evenings (on weekdays) unless you drive off site. (Good idea to bring board games, movies, etc. and connect with your family.) Best off-site bets are the mega-mall in Syracuse (lots of family-fun activity venues) or nearby Shipwreck mini golf with black light golf and shooting range.

The resort does have an on site bar which stays open late and has a surprisingly good wine list. Plus the resort staff was super friendly and accommodating.

We took advantage of a Groupon coupon. Not sure if I would pay full price (pretty hefty) otherwise. If you're a skier this seems to be THE place to go in the winter!

Green Features: The hotel employs several environmentally friendly practices which I sincerely appreciated!!
4 Thank Wendy K
Thank you for staying at Hope Lake Lodge at Greek Peak Mountain Resort. We are so glad you came to enjoy the facility and extended your stay.

Please come see us again as we love to get to know our guests and assist in creating happy memories for years to come!
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and two kids (age 12 and 3) and I recently stayed at Hope Lake Lodge for 4 days. Our stay was wonderful. The lodge was beautiful, warm and inviting. The room we stayed in was exceptionally clean and comfortable. They have an indoor water park with water slides and wave pool, which was a lot of fun for me and my 12 year old. My wife and 3 year old enjoyed the swimming pool, which was both indoor and outdoor. The adventure center across the street with zip-lining and mountain roller coaster is a must.
I wanted to highlight the incredible staff at Hope Lake Lodge. They were all extremely helpful and friendly. In particular, I wanted to spotlight a specific employee, Rochelle. Rochelle went well above and beyond for me and my family. We initially booked a trip from Monday-Wednesday, but were interested in possibly staying an extra night if there was availability. Throughout our stay, Rochelle would periodically check on any openings for an extra night. With much luck, something opened up and we stayed an extra night. Rochelle showed so much patience with us and an eagerness to accommodate (We felt like we were being a pain in the butt at times). Not only was she vigilant in checking for room availability for an extra night, without even being asked she put together a packet of some additional ideas of fun things my family and I could do while we were in town. Rochelle was extremely patient, friendly, always smiling and thoughtful. My observed interaction of her with her coworkers was impressive. I don't know if she is a manager or not, but she worked well with her staff and is a definite team player and leader. (As someone who has worked in customer service, not enough time is given to highlight someone and the good things they do). My family and I highly recommend staying at Hope Lake Lodge. We will absolutely return there for another stay.

2 Thank Frank V
Bonnie H, General Manager at Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Lodge, staff and your stay on TripAdvisor.

I always appreciate the feedback and especially love to see one of our employees get special recognition for extending great customer service. As hospitality professionals we try to hire customer-oriented like Rochelle to go the extra for the guest. I am proud she was able to exceed your expectation.

We look forward to a future visit - this is a great place to stay all year round!
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I found the deal on Groupon. It was a last minute booking because of another cancellation and the hotel was most accommodating. The lodge is situated in a beautiful locale. The trail around the small lake was delightful. We started out the trip not knowing what to expect, but we could really chill out in the two nights we were there. I recommend this place for families looking for wither relaxation or adventure...Rooms are spacious too

1 Thank Ranjana2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am so glad you found our promotion and were able to really enjoy some rest and relaxation. I look forward to a future visit!
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We planned our summer trip to NYC this year and decided to take a weekend side trip up to Cortland to Hope Lake Lodge because of a Groupon deal. The lodge is very family friendly. Rooms are large with full kitchens which is a great bonus when you bring kids. We had two boys with us ages 9&10 and they loved the water park. We also used the Adventure Center across the street which was a lot of fun, but very expensive. I highly recommed the ropes course for the adventure seekers in your family and the boys loved the mountain coaster!
Food at the Acorn restaurant was decent and the breakfast buffet was inexpensive for our two boys ($6 each). However, the restaurant closed fairly early on Sunday night and we were forced into town to find food. Not much to choose from in town. Overall, we had a good time at this lodge and would like to see it during the winter when the slopes are open.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and heard kids running down the halls. No "white" noise in the r...
2 Thank Sandy C
Bonnie H, General Manager at Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Hope Lake Lodge!

I am happy to read you and your family got to enjoy some of the amenities at the resort. It is a beautiful area and a great place to make memories.

I look forward to having you return for some winter fun!
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I purchased a 2 night, 3 day stay including 2 days of waterpark passes via Groupon. We had not read any of the reviews and really had little idea as to what we would encounter.

Before I purchased the Groupon I had a ton of questions as I didn't want to spend $$$ to find they could not accommodate us for the dates we were able to travel. I did have a little problem reaching someone as they must have been inundated with calls that day. Once I got a clerk, he was VERY helpful. I am so sorry I don't have his name at hand... I will find it and post it. He spent a good bit of time attempting to get us exactly what we wanted. So I ended up buying the Groupon deal for a family of 4.

We arrived on Wednesday 7/23 around 4pm in a torrential storm. Our room was ready, check-in was easy, no problems with our reservation or Groupon. Mikayla(sp) checked us in and gave us the run down of what to expect during our stay - Sam was very helpful as well. She was super pleasant and helpful throughout the stay. We were stunned to see how CLEAN the place was. It is only about 4-5 years old, so everything is new! There were lots of people checking in and out and I never heard a single complaint. I found the entire listing of activities, times and locations set out conveniently for all to find. While the rooms are on the smaller side, there were many amenities in there; a full size oven/stove, microwave, full size dishwasher, full size refrigerator, sink, toaster, coffee maker (with coffee) and a full set of dishes/glasses/silverware/pots/pans/cleaning supplies, etc. All clean and NEW looking!

The boys were anxious to get to the waterpark, so we quickly changed and walked about 30 feet from our room to the door of the arcade (also entrance to waterpark). The clerk took our tickets, gave us our wristbands and we were in the wave pool in under 5 minutes! We swam until the park closed at 8pm (weekdays), which we felt was a very reasonable time for a water park to close. The park was VERY clean, there were plenty of warm, fresh towels to dry off with and my oldest son (11) was mesmerized by the swim-suit drying machine they have in the mens and womens bathrooms (GREAT thing to have to help spin dry your suit!). Met some really nice folks who also purchased the Groupon special and EVERYONE agreed it was a GREAT deal and they would do it again.

We ate at the Acorn Grill. No complaints about the food or the cost. When you go in vacation and eat in a hotel, you EXPECT to pay a bit higher price for the convenience of not having to leave the facilities. Kids were satisfied and hubby & I enjoyed our sandwiches and salads. The service was great. We did purchase the fixings for S'mores at the gift shop. We met the same folks at the fire pit that we swam with earlier in the day. Everyone enjoyed themselves. Showers and bed time - SUPER comfortable beds, clean linens and as close as we were to the water park, we never heard the pitter patter of feet the entire time!

Thursday AM, we ate at the buffet in Acorn Grill. Tami was our server and she was so incredibly sweet and helpful! Breakfast was reasonable. Food was tasty. Everyone was full and ready to start our day. The boys insisted on doing the crafts - small cost no biggie, they loved their sand bottles. The girls in the craft room were so kind and helpful. My older son and I got massages from the spa - Sonya was lovely and did a wonderful job. I have never heard my son quiet for 30 minutes since the day he was born! We spent nearly the entire day in the water park from open to close. Only got out long enough to eat at the grill in the park (food was fairly decent and priced less than what you would expect for a facility like this - large cheese pizza was $14). Once again dinner at Acorn Grill and S'mores at the fire pit. Finally retired to bed after showers. The boys were going to be surprised to find out that I had made arrangements with Mikayla to stay another night. She couldn't let us stay in the same room as it was already booked, but she discounted another room. Thank Bonnie (GM???) - I know you helped us out too!

Friday AM - we packed up, told the boys we were staying, but moving out. They were thrilled. We gave our stuff to Rick(?) at the front desk, who locked it away for us as our new room wouldn't be ready for a while. Since we technically did check out, Roseann gave us the discount passes to the Adventure Park and we drove across the street for a full day of excitement! We arrived at 11:30, the staff there helped us figure out the best deals for us and we played there till just before closing! I did zip-lines (AMAZING - check off my bucket list) and tons of coaster rides with the kids and hubby. They played laser tag for hours. While we are used to indoor glow-in-the dark laser tag, this was different for us, but my boys were thrilled, so who cares if it wasn't what we liked!? We had SUCH a great time and it was due to the fun loving staff. Ok, if I forgot your name, I am sorry... Rachel B, Mariah S, Danielle, Taylor, Clay, Wayne & Wyatt (thanks guys for the zip line tour and for getting my butt safe to my family!) We ate at TRAX for dinner. Kids had all you can eat pizza buffet - with the most delicious pizzas ever. We shared a plate of wings and they were really good. We came back to our new room (smaller, but still super nice), the "men" worked out at the nice gym. Showers, did S'mores again and bed-time...

Saturday AM we did bagels in the room - bought at the gift shop. As we were going out, we ran into the Sales Manager, Sheila, who happened to live in our neck of the woods for a while. She asked if we were staying another night and we told her we weren't sure. She told us to hold on and she said since we were having such a great time and we really didn't want to leave, they would give us another night at a discounted rate. We were thrilled and happy to hang out another day/night. We drove to Watkins Glen and walked down the park, which we HIGHLY recommend to everyone visiting in the area. So beautiful! We then went to Robert H. Treman Park, swam in the gorge and sat under waterfalls, An amazing experience! Be prepared for super cold water! We brought dinner back to the room, then joined a bunch of the guests outside to watch the Lego Movie! It was such a nice night. Finally we showered and slept.

Sunday would be our final day at Hope Lake Lodge. The boys were super sad to leave. My youngest made us promise we would come back for our next family vacation. It is a promise we intend to keep!

I know I have neglected to get everyone's names and I am extremely sorry. You all were so much fun and so helpful. I must have asked half a dozen people what you all took as there were smiles on everyone's faces all day. What is in your water?? Thanks again for a memorable vacation and see you in 2015 if not before! Happily your newest fans, the Jacob Family.

7 Thank Karen J
Dear Jacob Family,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice detailed review of your stay. It seems you experienced so many things while you were here and enjoyed them all! I know guests like to read other reviews before they stay so yours should be very helpful.

Thank you for extending your stay with us! I am glad we were able to make that work for you and your family so the fun could continue on.

The employees appreciate your public thank you - we really have some great, hardworking staff that works here. Thank you for acknowledging them.

We hope to see your family again in the future!
Massena, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Using Groupon we received a good price for two nights for the six of us. The room was very clean and of a good size for us. The waterpark was a bit young for our 9 - 15 year olds but they made the best of it.
We highly recommend going to the Trax restaurant across the street and get their pizza buffet. It was excellent but only open on Friday and Saturday nights. Our family had a great time on the zip line tour and the mountain coaster. Highly recommend purchasing the Adventure tickets if your children will like doing both the zip lining and the mountain coaster.

1 Thank djchapman77
Thank you for your recent visit to Greek Peak Mountain Resort! I am glad that you found us and really glad you and your family ventured out to enjoy several of the amenities at the resort.

Please keep us in mind for your winter get-a-way too; between the great skiing/snowboarding, tubing and cross country skiing, there is plenty of fun all year around.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Virgil
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland
BEST WESTERN PLUS Finger Lakes Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Cortland
Hampton Inn Cortland
#2 of 10 in Cortland
Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ithaca
Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca

Been to Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center? Share your experiences!