“I Felt like a member of the Royal Family”
Review of The Danna Langkawi

The Danna Langkawi
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pantai Kok
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This establishment is peaceful, opulent, picturesque and perfect for relaxation. We were treated as if we were the only guests at the hotel. The lobby is splendid, the lounge is seductive and the restaurant amazing with every detail attended to. The food served at the restaurant is fresh and delicious and the live piano playing is a bonus. The rooms are well appointed, private and every detail is attended to. Even the skin products are Crab Tree and Evelyn.

Room Tip: Try and get a marina view, or beach view room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank rima D
GMDanna, General Manager at The Danna Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Rima D,

Thank you for your kind review of The Danna Langkawi which is greatly appreciated. We are delighted that you had a memorable stay and that you felt it was small tasteful & luxurious. I am delighted that the staff were helpful and you appreciate the Malaysian Hospitality. It always our pleasure to take care of you. We hope to see you again at The Danna and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can assist with a booking

Pascal Masse

Write a ReviewReviews (3,270)

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Let me first say this was an amazing hotel and service exceeding expectations (I will explain why I've not give 5 stars). Once we arrived we were seated in a comfy seating area which was totally different experience than other hotels. We were greeted with pleasant smile and hellos and a wonderful cold drink with a cold towel. The surroundings were beautiful and you just had to pause to appreciate it. It was very very clean and whilst we sat down and the normalities of checking in was being sorted we were given a complimentary few min massage from the spa therapist which was lovely and refreshing.
The room was great with huge bed, lovely high ceiling room and amazing shower and bathroom and balcony. You couldn't fault it.
The amazing part is when you toto the back of the hotel and you are blown away YEs I Mean BLOWN away with the most spectacular view. The swimming pool area going onto the private beach and then to the sea. Amazing time to spend here relaxing and doing nothing ;-)
So why the 4 stars and not the 5. Well for us the breakfast let us down. The service was excellent but for us the breakfast was below standard for a 5 star hotel. It maybe our choice but we felt the English or veg meal choice was limited. The beans and the hash brown was cold to warm at best. The variety was limited. There was fruit flies on the fruit on 2 occasions. I do believe this was the only thing that let the hotel down. I really didn't want to give a marking down as the experience and staff was brilliant but I hope when staff read this they take it on board and improve this part of the service.
I would definitely book here again and would advise people to experience it for themselves.

Room Tip: If you can afford definitely get the sea view room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Abby c,

It was our great pleasure looking after you on your recent visit to The Danna Langkawi and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on the site. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed all aspects. I appreciate your comment about breakfast and am sorry that you did were not impressed with selection of foods but I do hope you will give us the opportunity of looking after you again on a future visit and please do contact me personally so I can take care of your booking and make sure that on this occasion you will have a better experience

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I have stayed in many local 5-star hotels but The Danna is truly several notches above the rest. It is different, worthy and way beyond my expectation.
Here are some of the most outstanding of the many winning aspects of The Danna:

1. The architecture, landscape and interior designing - impressive architecture, adorable landscaping and exquisite ID that stay true to the hotel's colonial concept, you would be snapping pictures wherever you are: at the lobby, along the corridors, coming out of the lift, in the room, in the bathroom, at the balcony, at the pool, at the library, at the restaurant, even at the ladies' room on the ground floor near the restaurant where there is an open-air fountain..anywhere is picturesque in The Danna! The hotel environment gives you the feeling that you are travelling back in time to the colonial, something exceptional and truly awesome.

2. The hospitality - The Danna serves you a refreshing drink and a massage upon checking in. Do read correctly, its not a welcome mEssage but a nice shoulder & neck mAssage that is so soothing after the bag-carrying exercise during travel. If a relaxing massage is how the hotel welcomes you, you can imagine how warm, thoughtful and intimate their service is for the rest of your stay.

3. The pool (where I am at the moment) - Huge swimming pool for kids and adults plus 2 jacuzzi pools, overlooking the sea and surrounded by the greenforest hills, I have been sitting here for the past 3 hours enjoying the seabreeze and the stunning view.

4. The spa - A luxurious, blissful treat for all your 5 senses. The candlenut body scrub is a must-try!

5. The food and the restaurant - Besides the food and the ambience, the staff are ever attentive and though there is buffet for breakfast you hardly need to get up from your chair because the staff will get whatever you want for you. I especially enjoyed the live piano music at the background, the first I have ever experienced when having breakfast at hotels and I find this very classy.

6. The room - The room is enormous with spacious bathroom. And the bed! Super comfortable with comfortable pillows, The Danna is one of the two among many 5-star hotels I have stayed in that provides great bed which gives me a quality sleep.

7. The peace and tranquility - I found this hotel surprisingly quiet, hardly seeing kids running around noisily unlike what was commented by other reviewer. Maybe because it is not school holiday season?

The Danna is truly unique and A-class in everyway, it has been such a great treat to stay here. It is now, without a doubt, no1 in my favourite getaway destinations!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The Danna is ideal if you want a luxury escape away from all the noise and traffic that marks many busy Asian cities (and tourist traps). The resort itself is perfect for romantic getaway, but we went with our teenager and we all had a great time. The pool is a wonderful place to relax and the attentive staff make you feel like a king or queen. Food was of a very high quality, and breakfast was extensive and catered to all tastes. We had a Countess Suite and it was seriously good. The views of the beach and surround countryside were soothing. We found it easy to grab a cab to tour the island and there are done really nice restaurants in close proximity for variety. Would highly recommend and be back in a hear best.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DavidAndrewMatthews
GMDanna, General Manager at The Danna Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Dear DavidAndrewMatthews,

Many thanks for a lovely review. The Danna is our little jewel and we take great pride in it. We want all our guests to feel that they are at home away from home; and I am pleased that you found us both homey and elegant. I am sure some reviewer agree with you that Countess Suite is best; with 2 balcony, a living room, a Jacuzzi and a day bed by balcony complementing the beauty. I am delighted that you were well looked after and that we took care of everything that you needed. We are very close to the Marina but are also surrounded by rainforest and which away from the hustle and bustle. Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I do hope that you will consider staying with us on your next visit to Langkawi.

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel is modern yet retains class, in a similar way to the E&O in Penang or the Raffles club in Singapore.

The room itself was one of the nicest I've stayed in throughout the world and the same goes for the pool and beach.

The service is excellent, especially on arrival and breakfast, there seem to always be plenty of staff which you'd expect for a 5* hotel.

The food was of very high standard throughout breakfast lunch and dinner.

Overall I had a lovely stay and feel it was worth the money, which is a lot for this part of the world.

My only complaints are below and each could easily be resolved:

Dinner - I ordered the chateaubriand for dinner. The staff didn't ask how I wanted it cooked and seemed confused when I questioned. It still tasted excellent, but it was over cooked.This put me off ordering a steak on subsequent nights. They aren't cheap and this is a fairly basic question when ordering steak.

Room service - we ordered a bottle of wine, and for a hotel that prides itself on having a wine cellar, it took over 30 minutes for them to find a bottle and involved multiple phone calls. the price was 50 ringgits more than the in room menu (out of date in room price list) . They happily price matched the bottle to the lower price, but it still seemed a lot of effort for something as simple as ordering wine.

Wifi- very low signal quality in room (349) which meant I kept on losing connection on my iPhone and iPad.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Booboo_bear83

Dear Booboo_bear83,

Thank you much for having taken the time to write about your recent stay at The Danna. We were very happy to read that our resort lived up to the high expectations, providing you with an unforgettable holiday. We were also pleased to learn that team members looked well after you. I appreciated you mentioning the inconveniences you experienced regarding the quality of our wi-fi signal and the water gun around the pool which we have rectified right away. I was most concerned to learn that one of your dining experience was not as expected and I am now personally lead the rectification. Once again, thank you very much for your visit and we are looking forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My wife and I spent 4 days at The Danna very recently celebrating our wedding anniversary. We couldn't wait to escape the busy city of KL and get some R&R.

The Property:
The Danna is set on a picturesque harbour on the beach inbetween green-covered mountains. It lives up to what you would expect from a 5-star property in this regard. Meticulous architecture, decorating and attention to detail were not forgotten when the property was planned and built. Our room was excellent with a comfortable bed (nice linens too) and spacious bathroom. The Planters restaurant is one of the best in Langkawi (breakfast served here each morning), the pool is one of the largest infiniti pools I have seen and the beach (although not extremely large) is a great place to spend some time. The spa was absolutely top-notch and I would recommend it to all that visit the hotel.

The Staff:
The staff was out to please during our trip. They were around every corner available to assist you. They mostly spoke English and always came with a smile. They were attentive and made best efforts to satisfy each and every request (including my wife's request for a proper hair dryer - the one in the room is very inadequate and after a second request for a proper dryer, the staff went out and bought one for us to use).

Change required:
I am not sure if it was a timing issue, but there were loads of children at the resort. Breakfast was always very noisy with youngsters running from table to table and the youngest often crying. Each day without fail breakfast was the same.

Similarly, the pool every day was filled with screaming and shouting as the children squirted each other with water guns (which can be purchased at the hotel!) and chased each other around the pool deck and shallow water.

It has been a few days since our stay and I am still puzzled on what can the hotel actually do to allow visitors seeking peace and quiet get what they want without pushing away families with children. I do not have a clear cut suggestion. However, one avenue the hotel could take is to specify that the pool off by itself be the 'play area' if you will. Outside of that, I don't know how The Danna will be able to continue to attract couples looking for a 'luxury' getaway.

Overall Impression:
I can clearly see why The Danna is marked 5-star (judging the property and staff), but it is certainly the only 5-star property I have visited which sells (or even permits) waterguns and children running around the slick surface of the pool (incredible safety risk). We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, but before we book again we will be looking at the Four Seasons and Datai more closely.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms are very nice if you don't want to go for the sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ricky T
GMDanna, General Manager at The Danna Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Ricky T,

Many thanks for staying with us during your recent getaway in Langkawi. We were happy to hear that you appreciate the beauty of hotel, the facilities and the service provided by our team. The SPA at The Danna is a must try during the stay and we were glad you had a wonderful experience. The Danna is now becoming the choice of all mix holiday makers for any kind of celebration such as couples for honeymoon, anniversary, family for summer holiday or school break. There are various travel season around the world. As you have experienced, it was a middle-eastern summer holiday. We at The Danna welcomed all traveler without age limitation. However, there are some guidelines to ensure calmness and privacy to all guests. Your suggestion has been taken into action where you will see no more water guns around the pool. Please consider us for your next holiday in Langkawi by contacting me personally and I will be taking care of your experience.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Danna; and it was a real pleasure. Pure relaxation from start to finish: the pool area is one of the finest I have seen, the service is exemplary, and the scenery is stunning. We were made to feel welcome from the minute we arrived. Its location is close enough to all the attractions on Langkawi (and the airport) whilst maintaining a sense of calm and serenity in its picturesque, secluded bay. Little touches added further to our experience: the library, free bottles of water by the pool, complimentary snacks in the sun -- it was a brilliant week of luxury and we would certainly return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GioBoccaccio

Dear GioBoccaccio,

Thank you for your kind review of The Danna Langkawi which is greatly appreciated. We are delighted that you had a memorable stay and that you felt it was small tasteful & luxurious. I am delighted that the staff were helpful and hope that you will plan to visit us again. It will be our pleasure to take care of you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can assist with a booking.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantai Kok
#5 of 105 in Langkawi
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
#1 of 16 in Pantai Cenang

Been to The Danna Langkawi? Share your experiences!