“Just average”
Review of The Star Inn

The Star Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Talybont-on-Usk
The Star Inn
Reviewed 22 April 2014

There are surprisingly few pubs and restaurants in the Brecon area who welcome guests with dogs (more fool them!), but the Star is not one. Called in yesterday (21st Apr 2014) whilst passing. This is a popular and busy little pub in the heart of the village of Talybont On Usk and is right adjacent to the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal so it's location (at least on a nice day) is fabulous. However for us that proved its downfall. It's popularity (rightly so) meant the few staff were really busy and all doing several jobs-serving drinks, changing barrels, taking food orders, answering the phone, serving food and so on.
Being vegetarian the choices were quite limited and unexciting. We opted for the Cumberland burger and chips. It was just ok. I really believe in supporting small businesses at times like this but I also believe a customer deserves quality and on a score of 1 -10 I'd give their food 4. The burger was ok, didn't come with relish (as it said on the menu) and the chips were pre-cut not fresh. Unimaginative and very unexciting.
If your a beer buff this is one for you as their choice of guest ales was many.
Will I eat there again? Probably not

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Woody2477

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I would have loved to give 5 stars, but on this occassion it really only warranted 2.

I popped in for supper, and whilst accepting that an inside table would be unlikely (the pub has a rightfully tremendous reputation for beer, friendliness and food), The food was actually very cold when it arrived at the table outside.

In addition, the noise/screams generated by the kids outside was unbearable (naturally I accept this is a public place, but I had a right to enjoy the place as a paying guest).

Given the noise, I decided just to eat and leave, like the couple who were sat on the next table.

Plus points were that the staff were really friendly. The chicken breast (with sun dried tomaoto and mozarella) was, despite being tepid, rather wonderful in taste. The array of beers is also excellent,

Wifi works indoors but not outside.

It is safe to suggest that you should book if you intend to eat there, however one should expect slightly warmer food regardless.

I would return but only having booked in advance.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Gordon L
Reviewed 14 April 2014

A week's hol on the Mon & Brecon canal, which runs right past the pub. We called in the Star 3 times in the week, and found it to be really friendly, with a good range of real ale. I tried using wifi in one room, but the owner told it didn't work well in that room; when she noticed a table had come free in the other room near the wifi router, she made a point of telling me so I could move to use the wifi, which then worked perfectly. They run beer festivals on occasion -- unfortunately not during the time we were there!

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

The food here was nothing special, good range of beers and ales on tap though. Very loud and busy crowd, and only a very small restaurant.

The usual customers go there for the ales, so if you are after that, this place is perfect for you. If you are after a decent meal, I wouldn't recommend it.

Direct access to the canal is very lovely for casual walks before/after drinks and food.

2  Thank Charlesmdean
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Despite other reviews didn't quite see it I'm afraid. The chap behind the pub was far from friendly. We would have had another drink had it not been for the attitude.

I'm sorry but despite a beautiful setting the pub was not welcoming.

2  Thank TonyJackieM
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Star is a proper country pub, where all are welcome - walkers, cyclists, boaters and families. Dogs on leads are welcome too. It has the best selection of real ales for miles around and consistently wins CAMRA awards. The ales change constantly and may come from Welsh breweries or anywhere in the UK, always well kept, by the very enthusiastic landlord. The food is locally sourced, good pub grub, done well. The pies are lovely as is the fish and chips ,and the daily specials are interesting. The Star is not a gastro pub and doesn't pretend to be, but is deservedly popular for what it does.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MrMrsW50
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Haven't been here for years but popped in whilst passing, we were happy to be told by the really lovely and very enthusiastic barman that Tuesday is 'Pie Night'!

The normal menu was also available but we were definitely sticking to pie... A never-ending chalk board of pies in fact - venison, steak & ale, lamb & damson, lamb & mint, wild mushroom... We went for the local game and the chicken leek & ham hock.

For officially the first time ever eating out, we were asked if we wanted short-crust or puff pastry. Impressive and when the pies came they were absolutely delicious with gorgeous fat, home-made chips.

What more can you want! Delicious home-made food, lovely people and a cracking selection of ales.. We wish it were our local!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AmyLJ

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!