“A mixed review, but I would recommend for a stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Talybont-on-Usk
Hawthorns Bed and Breakfast
Devon
“A mixed review, but I would recommend for a stay”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The B&B is in a good location for exploring the Brecon Beacons and it's position close to the canal was excellent for morning and evening walks beside it. It was also close to pubs for food.
The double bedroom was a good size but a bit tired. It was very hot when we arrived so I went to open the windows. The window by the bed was fine, but when I tried to open the one by the sink the top started falling uncontrolled as it was an unbalanced sash window. I just managed to stop it before it fell fully down but had to ask my husband to push it back up while I closed the catch.
The room had a sink, but other than that there was a shared bathroom, also a bit tired. The fact the bathroom was shared by all in the house was a slight problem on occasions, with a wait involved. Also the fact that someone else's flannel was left on the bath and toilet bag open beneath the sink made me feel a bit like I was intruding.
Breakfast was excellent. Cereals and also full English. Full marks!
The owner was very pleasant, if a little reserved at times. Sometimes you could talk with her but sometimes she didn't seem to want to know. But she was nice.
We were never given any keys, despite notices with reminders to hand them in, which would not have been a problem apart from the one occasion when we returned home one evening to find the house in total darkness and with no-one home but with all doors unlocked. We would have preferred to have had a key for the front door and for that to be locked if that was to be the case, but I presume it must be a low crime rate area.
A big plus was the fact that our dog was allowed to stay and I am sure she enjoyed her visit!
Our view of the accommodation as value for money was affected by the fact that we moved on to New Quay and stayed in a B&B for the same price with a wonderful ensuite room in excellent condition.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anndante

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a lovely B&B in a great location for exploring the Brecon Beacons. Our room was very comfortable with a lovely view of the garden and breakfast was excellent. I really recommend this place and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SophieO1311
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I've stayed at the Hawthorns and it is always a lovely experience. Wonderful breakfasts that will keep you going on long walks, cosy comfortable rooms, and a blazing log fire on cold winter nights. Excellent value for money as well!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank draenenwen

Been to Hawthorns Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!