“Unbelievable!”

Mihingo Lodge
Bermuda Run, NC
“Unbelievable!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Our son told us he made reservations and that we would be staying in upscale tents. My wife was not impressed until we stepped into ours. She was brought to tears by the beauty of it and the views from the deck. The food and staff are exceptional. The pool is one of a kind! We sat and watched animals from the bar, the dining area and the "hide" which was worth the walk. It is a one of a kind place and should not be missed.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
usa
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Really nice lodge---great views of the area. Really liked the hut style architecture. The tent/huts are very spacious and the bathrooms were very nice and also roomy. Also greatly appreciated the mosquito netting over the bedding. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. This is a lovely place! We did a game drive and saw interesting animals and got great photos. This was the beginning of a gorilla trip for us and it timed out nicely to stay here our first night on our way to the jungle.
The girls (Clemmie and Iddy) made us feel very welcome. We loved our stay here. The only negative and this is a helpful hint for you all is that you can be locked in your hut. I know that sounds crazy but beware because the bolts on the doors are independent. So when my husband left a couple of minutes before I was ready and locked the door I was bolted in and couldn't get out. I know that seems impossible with a tent but with the flooring I couldn't slide out and the only zipper had a padlock on it. So almost an hour later he finds me locked in. There is not a communication system (walkie talkies or even an emergency air horn would be great) and no one can hear you yelling out there. Anywho just don't want the same thing to happen to anyone else. Don't let anyone lock you in.
Lovely lodge and I highly recommend it. Also enjoyed the night bush baby viewing and the great gift shop for locally made goods!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UsaJules
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Okay, so I didn't see much of this lodge because I was sick when I arrived and when I had to walk up the many steps to get to the reception area, I actually sat down and cried about half way up to the reception area. This is not for folks with mobility issues for sure. Our room, Impala, was on level ground (back down the stairs) but also the most further one away along a dirt path. It's a very large accommodation with a separate bathroom area away from the bedroom. (That was good!) It did overlook a salt pond which was frequented by warthogs and some Uganda kob and had a deck from which to watch. The chairs on the deck were like Captains chairs with the removable seat and back. I can't tell you the last time those things were washed. They were pretty much stained and full of bird droppings. I would have loved to have sat on the deck but it was not inviting. I think the travelers who really enjoy this lodge are probably those working in Kampala which it is convenient to and can make a weekend out of it or maybe those who have been working in the rural areas and treat themselves to a weekend with an actual bedroom and bath. For me, well, I've stayed in really nice lodges all over Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa and I would not say this was really deluxe. Nice, but not deluxe. The staff who brought me cokes and crackers at my husband's request (while he's eating a nice dinner, I supposed) were very nice and inquired as to how I was feeling. I appreciated that. I didn't eat any meals here because we left the next morning. I didn't even see food served. My traveling companions said the food was okay, nothing special. If I went back, I would probably like to stay in a tent that was closer to the reception area.

Room Tip: Bushbuck and Impala were on level ground but further away. Other rooms were closer but even more st...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
MihingoLodge, Owner at Mihingo Lodge, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very sorry that you were not feeling well when you arrived and that you could not enjoy Mihingo Lodge as you should have. We are also sorry that you did not have the opportunity of eating any of our delicious meals, our staff would have been very happy to serve a three course meal in your room. Thanks for your feedback on the safari chairs. They are regularly cleaned, but we will make sure they are cleaned more often and we are in the process of renewing all our covers as they do get stained after a few months. The room you were staying in together with nearly all other rooms have also been newly thatched so everything is looking much smarter now. I just wanted to let you know that more than half of our guests are international guests booking from abroad and most of them absolutely love Mihingo Lodge. It is a pity you could not stay any longer to enjoy what we have to offer. Kind regards, Ralph
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Mihingo Lodge is a beauty sitting up on a giant kopje. The setting is amazing as is the staff. Because of the location it offers stunning views, but it also requires dexterity to climb the many steps up to the main lodge and then higher to the individual cabanas. I will warn those who have mobility problems...Don't stay here!

The individual cabanas are very spacious. They offer a sleeping area that is separate from the sink, shower, and commode. You have to walk down a pretty long hallway to get to the bathing area & toilette in the one we were assigned. Again just putting it out there, if you have mobility problems or get up frequently during the night to go to the bathroom this might be a problem.

The beds are super comfy with the mosquito nets that surround the massive beds. I spent most of the day around the bar, dining area, and pool soaking up he sun, when I was not out on a game drive. You can find wifi in the bar area for catching up on email, and then head down to the pool built into the rocks, and have a glass of wine. The views from the pool at sunset are just amazingly stunning. The pool is a great place to hang out, as the watering hole is just below it. You can view zebras, impala, water buck, warthogs, and more enjoying a cool drink. We saw cattle at the waterhole as well, which was strange because domestic animals are not suppose to be in the national park, but there they were.

After traveling around Uganda you can become ho-hum about the wildlife....that is until it's not there! I missed the big game animals, it was only after my guide started pointing out birds we had not seen at other lodges that I became excited. I probably would not go back to Mihingo Lodge. For me it comes down to the national park, and although the lodge is very lovely, the park lacks that something special that I felt at so many other lodges during our stay in Uganda. This is not the fault of Mihingo Lodge, but the National park in general.

T

Room Tip: Close to lodge if you have mobility problems....bring a cane or walking stick
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Best hotel I've stayed in in Uganda. Best hotel I've stayed in anywhere!
Front of house and trips are managed by two British girls, and everything is done perfectly to 5 star standards. Service, food, rooms, everything was perfection, and the staff always went out of their way to make everything just great and to always make you feel right at home. Ended up staying an extra night, and still pining to return! It is expensive, but it's completely worth it, and the price is full board (sooo much food, 3 courses for lunch and dinner and buffet breakfast!). Go for it, you'll love it!

Room Tip: Can be quite a steep walk to the restaurant, choose a room near the restaurant if mobility concerns.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Ahh Mihingo Lodge, my peace of luxury at the end of a period working in rural Uganda. Admittedly coming from a bean diet and basic toilet facilities this was luxury at it's best, but this really was something special wherever you came from.

Positives:

So many, where to begin?
Spectacular location perched high on a rocky outcrop looking down over the Lake Mburo NP.
Spacious relaxation areas with a variety of different locations, plenty of space for everyone.
Delicious 3 course Western style meals for lunch and dinner; cucumber soup was especially yummy.
Enormous lodges. I stayed in Kings room which had an incredible view of the watering hole and salt lick, along with rocks to clamber up onto, to listen to the silence and observe the animals. The bathroom with open rock shower was wonderful, and extremely liberating to stand in whilst looking out over the grassland through huge windows.
The horse back safari was excellent. I rode Elgon, a nippy ex-racehorse who took me close up to the zebra, impala and topi. It was wonderful to be able to get so close to the animals by a much more natural method. Of course it was also fun to canter/gallop across the open valley floor!

Negatives:

Struggling here....Ear plugs for the hyenas at night.

Overall:

The staff are wonderful. Clemmie and her team work so hard to ensure everyone is happy and catered for. Being alone I thought I might struggle with the family and tour groups, but Clemmie came and joined me for dinner and I later found another friendly single traveller, so I didn't once feel uncomfortable.

Such a wonderful place, and so deserving of the many accolades it receives for being 'the best lodge in Uganda'. I wish I could have stayed longer; I would have done the ride again and explored the lake by boat (the rain on my first day prevented this). Oh and had a few more of Michael's gin and tonics.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank oceanangel26
Kampala
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Re-visited Mihingo after three years away and frankly found myself wondering why it had taken so long. I was with friends visiting for the first time and it was great to see them enjoy themselves so much - the lodge team know exactly how to take care of people and we all enjoyed an excellent night game drive. Sadly the now regularly spotted leopards were having a night off but we saw plenty of other interesting nocturnal critters with several firsts for me, including a spotted genet and two rather surprised bush pigs. Food was the best in Uganda as usual, marred only slightly by the enthusiastic bees at breakfast - they clearly stock tasty honey... Saw one of the resident tree hyraxes from the dining room as well, which was quite special. All in all, must go back soon!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
#19 of 31 in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Rwakobo Rock
Rwakobo Rock
#2 of 7 in Lake Mburo National Park

Been to Mihingo Lodge? Share your experiences!