“A lot of driving and unnecessary waiting”

Bobby's Jungle Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Half Day, 1 Day, 1 1/2 Day and 2 1/2 Day tours to the Khao Yai Nationalpark.Prices per person:Half Day Tour 500 Baht,One Day Tour 1300 Baht(both combined 1500 Baht),Two and a half Day Tour 3500 Baht,including pick up and bring back to Pakchong, drinking water, Lunch, Fruits, leechsocks, rain coat, entrance and english spoken guide.
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I took the one and a half day tour package.
The extraordinary sight of a million or more bats pouring out from their cave made the half day tour worthwhile, although the 'hot spring' and 'Buddha temple cave' were disappointing.
The one day tour was disappointing, but mainly because my group was joined on to an overnight camping group who were starting the second day of their two days in the national park. This led to a lot of wasted time, and also meant we could not go anywhere that these people had visited the day before.
Although the day was supposed to start at 0700 we did not leave until 0720. We drove a short distance to a 7-Eleven, where we waited around for 20-30 minutes. We then drove into the park, which was a long journey in the back of a noisy and uncomfortable pick-up truck. Once in the park we drove quite a long way past the visitor centre to the campground to pick up the campers. Since they were not ready we had to wait around for about 45 minutes while they got themselves organized. We then drove all the way back to the visitor centre where we had to wait another 30-40 minutes while the long-suffering guide had his breakfast, to which he was certainly entitled. By the time our park tour really started it was 1030, and we had spent three hours merely driving and waiting. Another group, who were not joined up with a camping group, went to a viewpoint, which we drove past without stopping, and had a forest walk during this time.
Our tour guide did his best to show us the park, but since we could not go to any place that the campers had already visited we missed the best waterfall and went to another one which involved a lot of driving, since it was in the far south of the park. When another group telephoned that they had encountered elephants we were too far away to get there in time, and so missed the elephants. It was annoying to suffer more time in the pick-up truck in order to go to a less beautiful waterfall.
Before taking the full day park tour you should ensure you are not going to be joined by others who have spent the night camping, or you will endure far more driving and waiting than necessary, and be prevented from visiting some areas. You must also realize that most of your day will be spent sitting in the back of a noisy and uncomfortable pick-up truck.
The huge campground with rows and rows of closely spaced tents looked pretty unpleasant, and the showers and lavatories that I saw were very dirty, with blocked basins. I was thankful that I had not booked the overnight camping tour.

5  Thank Ian R
There are newer reviews for Bobby's Jungle Tours

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I am really surprised to see there are some who rated this tour as good!

The accommodation is fantastic. We emailed the host before coming ( twice) but he seems to have lost our reservation there are two properties, one which is part of bobby jungle apartment tours ( 300/200 baht) and another property right beside it which is 500 baht which was really good, air conditioned, big bed towels two bunk beds you could not ask for more!

The tour was the worst tour of my life ( I have been to Peru, Panama, Nepal and all over Thailand including Krabi, Phuket, Khao Sok, Bangkok, Surin, Khao Yai, Authuaya, Chiang Mai Chiang Rai) so the fact that this is the worst tour I have ever been on in the last 4 years says a lot. I have backpacked in the other three countries as well, so I know what to expect from tours in general.

Its a 12 hour tour out of which 10.5 hours is spent on the back of a pick up. The food is terrible both my boyfriend and me got food poisoning and were sick for 3 days after. Would not recommend this tour for children at all at all! Your kids will be exausted and cranky I wanted to crawl into a cave at the end of it actually it was so bad

This is a review of the full day jungle tour of Khao Yai.

So the tour started good, guide was overly enthouthiastic and a bit neurotic but it was all good fun at first. We spent 2.5 hours driving through the park, if our guide spotted something we would jump out of the car. You have to understand Khao Yai... its one giant paved highway looking road going throuh the entire park. And almost the entire tour consists of driving on that paved road for about 10 hours and jumping out of the pick up when the guide sees something. A lot of cars drive really fast through here as well which I can't understand why as there are monkeys on either side of the road and there is a danger of hitting them if you drive too fast. The first two hours were fun no complains. The animals were hard to spot because they are in the trees so all you se are black and brown blurbs, even with binoculars it was hard to spot but hey we knew that coming in so forget about getting closer then 10 meters from gibbons for example, you will see macaques everywhere and those you will be able to see close but everything else forget it.

The walk in the forest was terrible our guide missed everything! people who were with us were the ones spotting the animals, lizzards etc, it was not fun at all because we missed all the animals. All our guide pointed out to us were termites, centapede and one spider... he was running through the jungle rather then what a guide is supposed to do - walk and listen and stop and be quiet!

The walk would have been really nice with a good guide could have been a lot of food.

Food at lunch was horrendous, Anont bought premaid noodles with chicken in the morning and the noodles stayed outside in the pickup for 5 hours, by the time we hit lunchtime they were absolutely disgusting and had gone bad. I could eat all but 5 bites and felt extremely nauseous. I mean are these people crazy??? You don't buy food and let it sit in the hot sun for 5 hours and then serve it to your clients. 4 people out of 6 were sick, and my boyfriend and I were sick for the next 3 days. I guess this is what you get for paying 1000 baht each for the tour... next time I will know better

Ok so the first 2.5 hours hoping in and out of the car were fun, the walk was not good because the guide missed all the animals but the trail was nice. After lunch so from 1 till 7 all we did was drive around on the highway looking road and we saw only one scorpion. It was raining and usually a trip to the summit is part of the tour, so the guide said its raining there is no point going there. Anont said that his boss would get mad at him if we came back early so we had to go up, so we spent a pointless 3 hours driving to the summit and driving back down to see nothing at all. Anont knew we were not going to see anything but he took us there anyways because he said he is not allowed to come back early.... this seemed really dumb to me we would be happy to have returned 5 hours earlier then have waited 5 hours of driving around in circles!

Then we aimlessly rode around for another 2 hours, all of us were sick from the motion sickness, since we are driving around a mountain and driving quite fast too, We all wanted to throw up and just get to our accommodation. We just wasted 7 hours on a road seeing nothing and feeling sick, it was the worst tour of my life!

I then went to Ayutthaya - and the guide there was excellent - its called tourwiththai i believe ( its recommended in lonely planet book) - I was in contact with Marayest and her sister is the one who did the tour and she was incredible. She is now a trek guide in khao yai as well, and she told me she stopped sending clients with bobby jungle apartment tours because everyone who came complained of the same things as we had. She said the owner even came to see her asking her why she does not send clients anymore and he was pissed at her. She was such a good guide, she told us she always goes into the jungle - not like this tour where you just drive on a paved road, and she hires a ranger who has 50+ years of experience. She was showing us pictures of trees that bleed and really cool insects nothing of the likes we had seen with bobby jungle apartment tours. Her tour only departs from Ayutthaya not Pak Chong, but boy did both my boyfriend and I regret we did not do the tour with her.

If you want a really cheap 12 hours tour where you are in the back of a pick up for 10.5 hours of that time, where the food is terrible and I guarantee you will get sick and an overly enthouthiastic tour guide then go here, but I really suggest hiring a private ranger and an english speaking guide and doing khao yai this way. This was by no means a fun tour after the first 3 hours and I highly advise parents against taking their kids on this!

4  Thank JuliaLyakhovich
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Based on the great reviews on TA, we were expecting a lot from this place. In terms of lodging it delivered - cheap, clean, free pickup from the train station, etc. The food at the restaurant was good, but about 2x the price it should be and you're pretty much stuck eating there since Bobby's is in the middle of nowhere. (We actually had to go to McDonald's the night we got in b/c their restaurant was already closed...)

Anyway, none of that mattered. We were there for the jungle tour and wild elephant spotting. Our guide, Bonsai, started off great, pointing out animals as we passed them and making detours specifically to find elephants. When none of that worked, he seemed to get a bit antsy and actually ended up buying weed and smoking it with some of the ppl on the tour.

We gave up hope after that, but he/we got lucky, and we actually did spot an elephant in the wild. It was unbelievably cool, but short. The worst part is that it was still about 1.5 hours before the park closed, but instead of doing the nighttime safari as promised, the guide and driver pretty much headed home. It was like spotting one elephant was their ticket out.

Here is my full review of the experience: http://erohisms.com/wild-in-khao-yai/

When I complained to the owner about our night safari not being a night safari, he said, "Well, it's better than what the park rangers offer." Except I didn't pay for the (cheap) rangers. I paid for a full day tour...

FYI, the other guests who did the tour the day before and after us had the same disappointing experience with the guide. Except they didn't even see an elephant.

3  Thank Rob and Lina E
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We spent one night at Bobby's good value apartments (spacious, clean, unbeatable value for money!!).
In the morning at 7am we got picked up by our "sexy guide" Non who's a funny laid-back guy and who knows his jungle by heart. He spottet all animals we were hoping to see (wild elephants, crocodile, maquaces, snake, and even gibbons!), helped us taking pictures, etc.
Furthermore, we hiked through the jungle, went to see the famous waterfall from "The Beach", to a natural pool and to feed elephants.
It was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone!

1  Thank Julia R
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We participated in the 1/2 day and full day tours: to a spring and bat cave, and Khao Yai National Park "safari" and jungle hike. We've participated in guided trips elsewhere before and didn't expect to see much, given that wildlife can be elusive at times. Due to the guides excellent ability to find wildlife, we were lucky enough to see a bull elephant, gibbons, birds, a couple deer species, scorpions, macaque monkeys, and a very poisonous viper.

The guide Khao Yai National Park, Deo, was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the Khao Yai National Park and wildlife. The half day guide was also very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the area's we visited, specifically the natural spring and bat caves.

Bobby's tours has done a good job, in my opinion, of selecting enthusiastic, knowledgeable, local guides for their tours. The guides are a critical part of any tour experience.

Another perk was that all food and water was included. I've been on other tours that skimped on the amount of food and water included and found that not to be the case with Bobby's. There was more than enough water and the food and snacks quality and quantity were very good.

With the quality tours, guides, accommodations, and food, I'd highly recommend Bobby's Apartment and Jungle Tours.