Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
HezNewcastleuponTyne
Newcastle upon Tyne

A little bit of Heaven on earth

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 10 Oct 2011
I have been visiting Vong duern for nearly 20 years and lucky enough to visit 6 times a year. I have seen many changes, (most for the better) as the building of new bungalows blend in beautifully with the flaura and fauna. Luckily the resort still retains so much charm, it is my little bit of heaven on earth. Accomodation is basic, but who cares! when you have the most amazing beach, sea, resaurants and most of all, the Thai people, who I am lucky enough to call my friends and family. White soft sand, clear blue sea and really good food( especially on the rocks) served by the most friendly, genuine hard working people. One bit of advise - If you like a soft bed you will be disappointed, so have a Thai massage on the beach to loosen your muscles. Any stress you may have will disaapear immediately you step onto the beach. PLEASE do not leave litter or bottles on the beach though. Don't spoil my little bit of heaven
Date of stay: May 2011
Room Tip: Check the mattress as they can be extremely firm (Hard)
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    £117
1.6 miles from The C Samet Beach Resort
Pool
View more hotels in Ko Samet
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Have been to Vongduern Villa many times over the years and was a little worried this time by some of the reviews here. However, although some of the rooms are in the process of being upgraded those that have already been done are great. At the best end of the beach - beautiful, quiet and peaceful - and with friendly staff and great food in the evenings it's for me the best value for money by far on the beach. Yes - there are more secluded and fancier places but if you're looking for a great place with a family you can't go too far wrong here. Rooms 207 and 208 are great by the way, with connecting doors making it great for a family.

Room tip: 207 and 208 are great - good value (for this beach), newly done up and great little location
Date of stay: July 2011
1  Thank bhacker
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Well, I am really not able to believe some of the previous reviews, as I found this place a very good, nice, tidy and peaceful one. You can see the actual photos of my villa and other parts of property.

The property is at the southern end of the beach Wong Duarn and is away from the daily hustle and bustle of beach. My villa was clean and tidy with AC, TV and hot water and balcony. There is a restaurant just on the beach. Staff is very good.

This beach is best for relaxation, but if you want a happening place with pubs and other activities, this beach is not for you and you should book on Haad Saikaew. One more thing....if you are returning back from northern part of island to the hotel in night, please keep a torch with you as after Ao tubtim, you may not find street lights. Also beware of street dogs which are plenty in Koh Samet.

It is better to go to Koh Samet on a weekday as on weekends there is rush of residents Bangkok and nearby place.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank ImDrMD
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We departed from BKK to spend a night in Samet. Thank god it was only for a night. My friend was in-charge of this trip.....so naturally he chose this place since the pictures on the site looks inviting, with a great view.

We book the family room as we had five of us. The moment we stepped into the villa, our jaws dropped.... the rooms was in a state of disrepair. The toilet door was kinda faulty and the table cabinet and table seems as though they would self-destruct any moment. There were unknown stains on the bed sheets and the room just seems filthy at every corner. What was disturbing was the mosquitoes seem to be buzzing around in the room, ALL THE TIME. We had to take turns to swat those pesky mozzies!

Definitely not returning to this villa again. We found another villa right at the end of the beach that seems to be the total opposite of this. Would probably book that when I'm back at Samet!

Room tip: Don't book this
Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank YunliT
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Arrived to check-in to our FAMILY room, to find that the FAMILY room is 3 queen beds in one big room. We paid extra thinking we were getting the privacy of a seperate bedroom. Unfortunately they didn't have anything else and quite frankly the manager couldn't have cared less. Staff positively ignored us unless cornered. Hardest beds we have ever slept in. Really disappointing, given this was our third trip to Koh Samet we know their is better available.

Date of stay: January 2011
1  Thank Brent F
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I can fully understand how reviews about Vongduern Villa are so mixed. It is on a very nice, gently sloping beach, so is safe for children and the sea is lovely, blue and warm.. The resort occupies the quieter end of the beach. The staff are friendly and helpful and the main restaurant, bulit out over the rocks, is very good and reasonably priced. The problem is - your enjoyment and satisfaction will depend very much upon which room(s) you have. Like many such resorts, this place is being upgraded from what were backpacker huts to mid-range beach accommodation. If you get one of the refurbished rooms, you'll be fine; otherwise, you won't. We needed one double room for my wife and I and a room with two double beds for my daughter and her family. The room she got was OK but the room my wife and I were allocated was grim - run-down, tatty, not a single shelf, drawer or hook on which to put clothes, the most basic bathroom I've ever seen and the steps up to the room were broken and, at night, dangersous. Builders were working all around us during the day. In the morning, we complained and said that, unless we were given something better, we'd leave. We were immediately given keys to a better family room for my daughter and a very good, refurbished and well fitted room for my wife and myself. (To be fair, these rooms had not been available the previous night). So, we were very happy, had a great time with some very good food and plan to come back. But, if we had been unable to change our room, we'd have been out first thing in the morning, never to return. So, you need to make sure that you get one of the renovated and upgraded rooms - and my recommendation is based upon that assumption..

Date of stay: February 2011