“Beautiful place for a couple's retreat”

Samed Cabana Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Ko Samet
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Spent 4 nights here, and really enjoyed it! If yo're out to get a getaway with your significant other, this is a great place.
Be sure to get to Ban Phe (where the boats go from) well before 5 pm. The bus from Bangkok that's supposed to get you there in time is a scam that delays and delays so that you don't make the last ferry, and have to get a speedboat instead. That's 50 BTH versus 800 BTH pr person. Not the world's end, but enough to make you annoyed.

Pros:
-The best area of that beach (Ao Wongdeuan).
-Good beachfront bungalows with a terrific view.
-Great service (if you get Jun. If that other lady is behind the counter, then not so much)
-A lot of nice eating places along the beach in the evening. Try the chicken bbq spear. Local boys will be doing a flame show which will look nice on any camera.

Cons:
-Breakfast was edible, but sub par.
-Musquitos. Musquitos EVEYWHERE. Including inside.
-Pricey, concidering..

Room Tip: Get the Beachfront Bungalow, and if you can get number 9, 10, 11 or 12, you are getting the best pla...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I visited recently Nov 2013 and I would like to share my stayed experiences with you. As I work in the hotel and I am sure this information it is accurate for your information.

1) The booking, it would be better to book online agent, Agoda,Booking.Com or Asiarooms. The reason is that the 3% of your credit card shall be charged for your credit card payment for guest who uses his credit card.

2)The journey to the hotel, by boat, the pier Malibu is conveniently take you to the hotel but guest must look for Malibu pier only to get it there. The rest is the speed boat, rate could be varied. For visitor who take a bus from Bangkok from Eakamai, the ticket of the boat could be bought from the round trip- ticket counter,Bangkok-Pan Pe. But the boat ticket is only needed to be taken by Nuanthip Pier to Na Dan pier in Samed.If your booking is made far from this pier, you have to pay for the taxi fare about 50 Baht. The big problem is at night the bus is not 50 Baht but it is much more expensive you must consider to accept it.Don't let the taxi driver cheat on you.

3) When you arrive at the Na Dan pier, it could be confused about the land tax you have to pay.Someone pays, many don't. ( the land tax is 10 Baht)This is very confused. They local people need the visitors but they manage it very confusingly.This is not good.But I paid 10 Baht with the receipt at the counter where it is before the exit.

4) When you arrive at the hotel before 2 pm, your check in time is mentioned 2 pm but when you arrive early and you want to have a room without prior notice to the staff or in your booking remark,the hotel have the noticed board just placed in front of the check in counter that the fine would be 2000 Baht. This is crazy and insane.There is nowhere else in the world mentioned this to the guests.The hotel should not have it written on the board for guest. It must not be written. To mention your stay remark and request on your booking is strongly recommended.I truly understood that the policy is different from the land but in the island itself it should not be much different they could make for their guests. This is not happy.

5) Front Staff, is totally not talk to guest properly, No more than 5 word-communication to guest like me.She hardly talk to guest like me.The major front office staff is to inform any booking information to guest about the room type, rate, breakfast included or excluded etc.For me I have received was nothing.Imagine your guest did not know anything about your hotel, what would happened.Staff must clarify any information to guest.

6) I must admit that the room was very nice and I really enjoyed it very much. And I like the swimming pool.

7) I assumed waiter and waitress or housekeeping are much friendly to guests but not front office staff.

8) The hotel should look for someone who can be in charge on the beach to prepare the umbrella for guest need.When i was there, there was no-one. Guest must manage the sun umbrella himself with no tool to dig the umbrella in the deep sand.

9) I found big spider in my room close to my bed.Guest must be careful.

10) I also found my room just the same day I arrived, my bed sheet was not changed. They used the same bed sheet for another guest too. There was some dirt on it and it was wrinkle.

Remark: if staff pay more attention to guest service, I am sure it would be very good hotel to gain more guest for many good comment for years to come.

Hotel SPY.

Room Tip: Room on the beach is very nice but the rooms in front off the swimming pool seems to be nicer. The T...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank hotelspy h
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I've just stayed here for a couple of nights in a room overlooking the pool.
The room was great generally and the surrounding area good too.
I choose this accommodation because from the boat it looked better than the surrounding hotels.
I was on the beach in a minute and the restaurant and terrace were modern with comfortable seating.
It wasn't cheap at £70 a night but it ticked a lot of boxes so I was happy.
My only criticism is that the restaurant staff are not observant enough,I sat there for 15 minutes more than once and they didn't serve me without me getting up and order a beer or food etc,
They didn't keep an eye on when you was getting low on drinks to ask you if you wanted more.
And overall their English is poor.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We had a great time there and i Was looking for a relaxing week away from the crowds and that's what I got. The hotel is well-situated at the end of the beach. We found the staff friendly and polite and the room was totally fine .. cleaned every day and with an amazing view directly to the beach. We will 100% be back next time we need 3 -4 days relax on the beach, the beach is 100% clean with soft sand and clear water, and nice food in the hotel.

Room Tip: Room is 100% okay and the bed is okay to, and it is only 10 meter from the beach, with at fantastic...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I visited the hotel end of October 2013 for a couple of nights, I had a beach facing cabana which was lovely and I could see the beach from my bed. The best part was I had wifi in my room. Clean and nice washrooms, little verandah with chairs. The breakfast was good but not too much choice for vegetarians. My overall experience was so good that i will definitely visit again for a longer time and hope I get the same Cabana.

Room Tip: Go for beach front rooms....
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Generally, I had a great time here. Was looking for a relaxing week away from the crowds and that's what I got. The hotel is well-situated at the end of the beach. I found the staff friendly and polite. the room was totally fine .. cleaned every day and with an amazing view directly to the beach. Visiting other beaches is easy. Many taxis available ... or you can risk your life on a moped.
One or two small criticisms ... not happy to have dogs roaming the beach constantly on the prowl for food. Can be a little unnerving. My biggest and most serious complaint concerns the manageress ( at the reception ). I found her to be unhelpful, uncompromising and unfriendly. She views the guests as money-making commodities and takes every opportunity to squeeze you for more Baht. The best thing I can say about her was that I didn't have a lot of contact with her, but each time I did, I came away feeling somehow dirty ... like I'd been used !

Room Tip: Get a bungalow on the beach but away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ray C
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My parents spent 7 nights in this resort just before a beginning of the high season in the end of October. I joined them for couple of nights. My overall impression of the resort is - average. The best years are over. The very first impression came from the older lady at the reception desk which "welcomes" tourists at reception with the bored face. It seems she is in the bad mood all the time. No smile, no welcome feeling at all. May be she is different when thai group or people appear... There were also many thai people coming especially from Bangkok and they seem to have better service, including food. Anyway, I will focus on plus and minuses - the first and the biggest minus is - if you get villas no.30 - 34 or 35 (i dont remember exactly) - basically the ones bordering the resort from back side, you will have to listen to the disturbing wood manufactory shop, which is in the close distance, just across a very small soil road. You better escape to the beach during the day. Other minus - the toilettes in the bungallows&villas are already old and have not been renovated since, so there are marks of years especially in the bathroom and toilete. We had also some flushing problem in the Villa 33. The breakfast are ok, if you go there in the high season, it should be even better as the stuff told us they prepare more food when they got more than 30 guests in the resort. Strange policy but what can you do... The independent story is taxi mafia on this island - as the Ao Wongduan Bay where the resort is situated is calm and relax in the evening (I would recommend another beach for the night hawks....) you have to use local taxi or hire a motorcycle. The roads are not good and if you dont have advanced motorcycle skills, you risk a scratch&damage fee for your rented bike. So the other possibility is to take taxi, which is EXPENSIVE as hell. From Wongduan to Sai Kaew beach, where all the nightlife is situated, it will cost you 500 baht there&back, which is more than a total cost of trip to Bangkok by the way... Restaurants on the beach offer variety of seafood&american barbecue and of course - they are overpriced... Average plate with the seafood (crab, squid, 4 bigger prawns and couple of mussels) would cost you 500 baht. Be careful - the drinks are even more expensive! One big beer is 120 baht, which is a pure robbery.
If you are active - I advice you to walk to the next beach to the south, which is Wai Beach and try hard to rent a kayak for 400/4 hours... They will start at 200/hour - if it is not high season, there you go and hustle... With kayak you can go more to the south around a cliff, where very beautiful beach is located - the sand and the water more clearer than Wongduan Beach...
Good luck!

Room Tip: NOT THE ONES STARTING 3... they are all at the back of resort and you will hear a wood manufacturer...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family