“Average, at the very best”
Review of Samed Club

Samed Club
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We had high hopes for this place. Between the reviews, the pictures and the price tag we thought this would be a really solid (though certainly not 5-star), well-done hotel that would allow us to do nothing but relax. We are fairly down-to-Earth people who do a lot of traveling and have no issues staying in cheap bare-bones, no frills places and loving it and of course, we also love (and are willing to pay for) being spoiled occasionally; so when we pay more than $150/night I expect a whole lot more from our hotel.

We stayed at one of the Garden rooms and were a bit thrown off when we got there and the space was connected to another room (the photo on the website gives the impression they're individual rooms/bungalows). However, the room was spacious and the bed was nice. There aren't many surfaces (like a dresser or nightstand) so you end up using the space next to the bed to organize yourself which is a bit annoying and you have to get creative with the stacking of toiletry bags in the bathroom since there is no shelving or counter space. When unpacking a bit we called the front desk to ask for extra blankets, so we could set up a space for our one year old, and they said they didn't have any. I was mostly upset about this because I emailed them a month prior and asked if they had cots; when they said no I made mention of simply needing a few extra blankets for him.

The food at the hotel was good... depending on who was cooking. The first night the Tom Kha Gai was creamy and delicious and amazing. The third night it was watery and a bit lackluster. My husband had variations of the pad thai and only one of them (flat noodles with shrimp in tamarind sauce on the first night) was truly delicious. We opted to eat out a number of times and, to be honest, I wish we had eaten at the little tent outside of the convenience store at the end of the road more often... never once did that amazing woman disappoint.

As far as the beach is concerned, yes, the tide does seriously limit your options in the morning but by afternoon you've got 10 meters of lovely sandy beach to play in. Our little guy was very happy playing the in the sand and climbing all over the bench swings they have on the deck (which were probably my favorite part, by the way). The water was beautiful and we did enjoy watching the boats sail past.

Lastly, we found the staff to be very hit or miss. Most of the time the service was lackluster. I understand that since we have a small child with us we're a bit more work but this was ridiculous. We were ignored at the restaurant multiple times and had to go up to the counter to order. Getting a cup of tea in the evening required an act of Congress on two of the three nights. At one point I went out to ask the receptionist if there was an issue with the Wi-Fi after it wouldn't connect for more than two hours and she yelled back to someone in Thai and then said to me, "no, it must be your phone." Someone in the back yelled to her again (at this point she was ignoring me as I stood there), so I walked away. Not 30 seconds later my phone connected, without a single issue, using the same password I'd been trying for two hours. Other guests we spoke to said they were having connectivity issues as well so I sincerely doubt this was a coincidence.

The last issue is that none of their tours are bookable unless you have at least six people. We were told to "go next door" when we wanted to book a day trip around the island for the three of us (two adults and a toddler). That turned out alright because we found a great tour down at the main pier (New Happy Tour) that ended up being the best part of our stay.

Overall, we wouldn't go back. We will visit Koh Samed again (it was beautiful and relaxing and full of interesting people) but we won't stay here.

Room Tip: 202 was nice because it was far enough away from the street that we didn't get as much noise and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 October 2013

If you are after the Hilton don't come here, but if you are looking for total relaxation with great service this is the place. The staff are great, the garden rooms are comfortable, the meals are very good. We are here off peak and there are only 4 or5 other couples here so it's nice and quiet. The garden rooms are set in the bush which is cool and you are only a few steps away from the beach straight in front of the restaurant. The pool clean and a great place to sit relax and take a dip.
This is the quiet side of the island so hire a motor bike and this will get you into Samed town and the other amazing beaches the Island has to offer. The bike can be hired from 50m along the road for 300b per day.

Room Tip: There are some beach front rooms if you want a view of the sea otherwise a short stroll across the r...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LisaTipa
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Definitely not worth the price tag. Did not meet expectations. It's basically a cabin in the woods (deluxe bungalow) across the street from the water. I would not even say this is beach front, that is a stretch. The hotel restaurant sits on the water and the "beach" begins at the restaurant and ends 5 feet away at the water. The sea views are of the ferry boats travelling from Rayong to Koh Samet. The hotel next door is under construction so there is no relaxation poolside or near the water. The bungalows are basically shoddy cement huts with crappy carpentry, tiling, AC, linens etc. The bungalows are across the street from the hotel restaurant/waterfront. So you hear the motorcycles, pickup taxis, ATVs etc. throughout the day/night. The value of this room should be $50 USD nothing more. I would definitely not recommend staying on Ao Noi Na beach or even entertaining the idea of staying at Samed Club. Sorry. Here's my only +, the food at the restaurant was fantastic!

Room Tip: Definitely not a deluxe bungalow. Not sure about the poolside rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Park-n-Rove
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Don't expect a 5 stars room, 5 stars service. This place is cool and relaxing in a down to earth way. Next to a white sand beach where I had no hesitation to jump into the sea and realizing that I was a little part of this world. I rent a motorbike (the first time I learnt to ride) and it would help to get you to the city of samed since this resort is a quite far away from the city. It's THB 350 with gasoline when I visited. This is a must for making your stay easier, unless you are okay to spend bucks for your convenience at the resort.

Room Tip: I booked a beach front cottage but end up with a deluxe room. You should be v. careful when booking...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarkJ19
Reviewed 14 October 2012

accomodation lovely, very clean and excellent location.
staff and service was excellent throughout.
good value for money.
nice, quiet, relaxing beaches/bays.
food and drink very good value for money
breakfast could have been better with more choice

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I liked this place, sorta. I rented a deluxe room for two nights. There was a street light that glared through the window. In fact, my view was of the street light.

The room was nice, the staff was very nice. Breakfast had eggs made to order. The beach was nice, but I wasn't thrilled about the neighboring places, they aren't so nice.

All and all I wouldn't stay here again. Mostly because the location and the surroundings. If you took this place and put it somewhere else on the island it would be a nice place.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bodapa
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Totally overpriced. Yes it is nice and the staff for the most part are friendly but you are paying 5 star prices for a 3 or 4 star hotel. We were pushed intlo this resort when the one we wanted was full (Sai Kaew) so be carefull as the hotels are not the same within the same family of resorts! nor is location the same. big difference
While the dinner was okay there are better places to eat outside the hotel. The breakfast was okay but for the money i would say poor.

Room Tip: rooms on hillside require a big walk up so be careful. why u think they call the hillside DELUX sou...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple