Sunrise Villas Resort
Saikaew Villa(Ko Samet)
Avatara Resort(Ko Samet)
Ao Prao Resort(Ko Samet)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooms are smallboats coming and goingmain beachwatch tvthai channelssaikaew beachhot showerwould stay againstayed here for nightsbeach fronthammocksbalconypierseaaccommodationislandinfront
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my boyfriend. Like their website says, they are not right on the beach, nor are they in the official park of Koh Samet. However, each room comes with a beautiful view of the ocean and the park itself is a 10 minute walk away down a very nice street with lots of shops and restaurants. I don't think any of the hotels in Koh Samet have better views than Sunrise Villas! The staff was very helpful and the rooms were clean. It was a really good price, too. Although it is close to the pier, we weren't bothered by the noise. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

British manager is fantastic- was a great help with anything needed. Room was very basic, and bathroom quite smelly (our fault for not advising Management though). Villas are well located- quick walk to the 'party area'- without putting up with the noise.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I mainly liked this place cause it is quiet, cosy and that it is almost next 'door' to the pier (saves on transportation). The rooms are a little small but I guess if you spend most of your time in a room while on this island, what are you here for! On Samet you either walk or hire a bike so actually it really does not matter where you stay as long it is a decent place and decently close to the main beach (it is a 10 minutes walk from this property). And yeah the view from this hotel is an added plus. Note that I was staying during the low season so the boat traffic to the pier was not too much. Some of reviews here mention that you can't swim because of the rocky sea front of the hotel. Parts of the front are rocky but I saw quite a few guests taking a dip in the ocean. The price for this hotel was one of the lowest I saw on Agoda so two thumbs up for that too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at this 'resort' for 2 days in early November 2013. The 'resort' designation is misleading since Sunrise Villas is NOT a traditional resort: there's no swimming pool, no included breakfast, no fitness center, so spa....all the amenities that you would expect from a real resort. However, if you are looking for a place to sleep and spend some time during your stay on Samed (Samet) island, then this is a reasonably priced hotel with nice view in a convenient location. The room are rather small - just large enough for a double bed, a very small night table, a small fridge and a clothes closet - but the view is spectacular. The view is seen through the sliding glass doors, which form one of the 4 walls. The glass doors are tinted so they provide some modicum of privacy. However, the "Sunrise" in the name is misleading since most rooms are oriented to the north - so you can see a bit of the sunset on your left or a bit of the sunrise on your right - but do not expect to see either sunrise or sunset from your room!! The room shares a small porch with another room - there's a small table and 2 chairs on the porch where you can read or have a drink - and watch the boats go by! It's also equipped with a hammock - however, you must move the table and chairs in order to hang up the hammock.

The beach front where the 'villas' are located is rocky - so there's no chance of swimming there. You must walk 10-15 minutes to the beach and restaurants.

The reception area is not staffed regularly - there's a sign with a phone number that you must call for the receptionist to show up. If you are a traditional tourist without a local phone, I would not know how you could attract the attention of the receptionist. When she does show up, the receptionist (Ms. Nuu) is very friendly, efficient and speaks English very well. She can provide you with a map of the island as well as help you book boat and other tours.

One minor problem I encountered: the water is yellowish in color. I learned later that it comes from a reservoir on the island (I do not know the source of the reservoir water!) and is treated with chlorine. I would shower with this water but I would not brush my teeth with it. For that I used the 2 complimentary water bottles.

Sunrise Villas itself has a restaurant (NOT operated by the resort but contracted out - I did not eat there since I never saw any diners there during my stay.) You should shop around for restaurants. Some of the cheaper looking restaurants without view charged very high prices for ordinary items like Singha beer (150 baht for a large bottle - the simple excuse was a shrug of the shoulder, accompanied by the statement "this is Koh Samed!"). The nice, clean restaurant right next to the new pier (Samed Port) offers very nice view of the ocean - and yet charged only 120 baht for the same beer.

If you have not operated a motorcycle before, I would NOT recommend renting one on Koh Samed - the roads are pretty rough, muddy and hilly. If you want to explore the island, you should rent one of those 4-wheel drive ATVs.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank asiacentury2000
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I booked 3 nights thru agora on the back of a few positive reviews. I wanted to leave after 3 hours. This place is right next to the main jetty servicing koh samet. Noisy, nothing of note nearby, semi industrial. There is no beach. Only rocks. Half of the room appointments listed are non existent. I had to crawl over rocks to get to my room. Dangerous. I paid $110 for three days. Checking out asap. Absolutely prepared to blow the dough to move on.Only redeeming fact. The staff member was very nice.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MelbourneMerk
TonySelf, Owner at Sunrise Villas Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Sorry to hear that your initial impressions of Sunrise Villas were not positive. Yes, we are near the pier, but many of our guests see that as a convenience. It can get busy but only between 8:00 to 18:00. All our rooms are a few metres from the sea, but nowhere do we advertise having a beach. Nor do you have to crawl over rocks to get to any of our rooms. Staff may have shown you a short cut but please be assured all rooms are serviced by well-lit concrete pathways with handrails. An 85-year-old woman recently stayed here. The room appointments we list are aircon, hot shower, free wifi, mini-safe and a fantastic seaview. You had all those.

As you can see, this is the first of 36 reviews we have found it necessary to reply to but we felt it important to clarify those points. Thank you for your kind words about our staff. We are glad that you decided to continue your stay with us and wish you well on your travels when you leave.