Sai Kaew Beach Resort
Hotwire.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewspremier roomsai kaewpremier seasideolder partlife jacketssea viewpool sidebreakfast buffetthe cottagesother placesclear waterbars and restaurantsinfinity poolrelaxing stayban pheevery eveningsamed island
Reviewed 28 January 2014

If you’re thinking of staying at the Sai Kaew Resort, you’ve probably seen all kinds of photos on their site of a nice beach view. It looks like you’re right on the beach. Well, you’re not. When we showed up, they put us on an EV cart and drove us about a half a kilometer to our “bungalow close to the beach.” In fact, most of their bungalows are nowhere near Sai Kaew Beach. The closest “beach” is Pineapple Beach…which is definitely nothing to write home about. And even that is a 5 minute walk away. See the map I uploaded.

As if that weren't enough -- the "garden" view we had was straight out into a concrete wall! I'll upload some pics. So when you see all the gorgeous photos they use to promote themselves, keep this in mind. In fact, most of the photos the hotel posts are from the front restaurant-bar area…which you won’t use anyway because there’s so much going on up the beach at night…and of the few ultra high-priced Premium rooms beside that area. But for the rest of us 99%, we also pay crazy high prices for a fine view of a concrete wall. Paradise!

Actually, there were some plants growing around the sides of the bungalows…but when you see what you can get on Samet for a fraction of Sai Kaew’s price, it’s nothing but a rip off. If I just wanted to stare at a wall, I would get myself thrown in jail.

The room was OK except for a mildew smell, but the location was absolutely not what is advertised. And when we asked to be moved, we were told it would be another 4000Baht. And they refused to let us cancel our 2nd night.

Overall, a huge disappointment and terrible value for your money. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Even the premium rooms aren't right on the beach -- the rest are WAY on the other side of the peninsula. At least try to get one that isn't right back up in the jungle.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tokyomike55
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We literally booked this trip 2 hours before we left Bangkok. I have heard great things about Samet and that it was a great place to head for a few days and we were not disappointed. We found a great deal for this hotel, booked on Agoda and hit road. The four of us took a taxi to the port which took about 2 hours. We then boarded a speed boat and arrived literally on the beach. we had to step down in the water, very cool. At this point I took off my shoes and did not put them back on again until we got the taxi home! The beach is perfect, water is warm and clear, the sand is like powder and I have to say, one of the nicest beaches I have every been on. The hotel is right on the beach so when you get off the speed boat you are pretty much in the hotel. The hotel itself was really nice. I was not expecting much as we got a really good deal and I read mixed reviews but I can assure you this is a good hotel. The hotel is spread over a large area and has a few categories of rooms ranging from premier rooms with sea view (we stayed here) to rooms with no sea views but with a pool right outside (20 second walk to the beach from here) and then loads of little cottages with sea views and swings outside of them all - reckon these would be more family orientated.. Their are a couple of restaurants, a gift shop and a bar that served great drinks. Private beds on the beach reserved for guests and a nice little beach bar. I would highly recommend this hotel and have even booked to stay again in May when my family come to Thailand to visit me... easy to get to.. great beaches, great restaurants.. very chilled out vibe.. I would go as far as saying that I would rate Samet higher than Phuket (not as good as Lanta though.. that place is special).. My only complaints would be that the Internet is so slow (please fix this!!).. it is impossible to do anything work related and I would also question the band that play every night in the restaurant.. They are a good band but out of place (well the music is anyway).. This is a chilled out place and a Thai band murdering an Adele song does not add to the relaxed vibe. We didn't stay in the hotel in the evening though.. we went out to the many cool bars and resultants along the beach.. beanbags, cocktails, shisha pipes.. heaven!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smccor_2007
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed here a few weeks ago with my girlfriend, we got a speedboat from the mainland and the boat pulled up onto the beach right outside the hotel. It was a fantastic way to arrive.

The beach was amazing, the sand was white and the sea was clear. The beach can be a bit busy, but still beautiful. There is a full array of water sports, from jet skiing to parasailing and everything in between.

There are ALOT of great places to eat along the beach and very chilled out places to sit on big bean bags and have a few drinks and watch the hundreds of lanterns sailing through the sky.

The hotel itself was good, apart from some aspects in the room. The rooms had so many mosquitos all the time. We had to spray ourselves with repellent before bed.

Well worth a visit, however if you want to see the sunset you will have to stay on the other side of the island.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed there for 3 nights 17 - 19 January 14, nice rooms, pool was freezing cold and I mean cold, staff were nice but a bit dozy got my orders wrong a few times, next time I am going to tell them to write it down when they take my order, visited the island in 2006 was nice little island, a few shops and dirt roads, but now it's not like before loads of these one bay shops all along the road way, which used to be forrest, and the smells not good, would not recommend now before I told all my friends about the Island, now I would not bother

Room Tip: The most expensive rooms are the best rooms, I had a young family next door with a screaming kid, and the walls are very thin you can hear everything
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is an awesome little resort close to Bangkok and I would recommend combining this with a Bangkok holiday. We would recommend staying in the beach bungalow area rather than hotel portion of the resort. A little walk from the main hotel and beach but was tranquil, most bungalows offer a sea view and a swing for afternoon sundowners overlooking a private beach. The island offers entertainment till late. New Years with the resort was unfortunately disappointing due to the poor cover band that really didn't make for a great party.

Room Tip: For a quieter stay on the party island consider staying in the beach bungalows.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends