“Love, love coming here!”
Review of Hotel Bismarck

and 1 more site!
Hotel Bismarck
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Bad Hofgastein
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I really enjoyed the food here, the staff were friendly and all provided excellent service. The decor and furnishing in the reception and lounge areas were comfortable and attractive. The bedroom was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable, however, the bathroom could do with some modernizing. Overall, excellent amenities! My husband and I came here for a week and we were able to completely relax and enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lovesfood000

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel, high quality all over. Superb food. The head chef aqquries the groceries from local vendors, and creates astonishing dishes. Very nice pool area, both inside and outside. Super staff except from one old, bitter man in the restaurant. Very high service level generally. There was very poor internet connectivity in the room, but we could reach the wlan in the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank JanSpangsberg
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I spent three days at the Hotel Bismarck as part of a hiking trip to Switzerland and Austria. The hotel is very hospitable, and the facilities are immaculate. The staff was very attentive and helpful. The restaurant was good, although the meals were limited to a couple of choices. The food was good, but because they are prepared in advance my meal on the second night was lukewarm and had obviously been sitting out a while. The salad buffet wasn't the best either. Other than that though, the hotel was very hospitable and had a great view.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tim S
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I have recently returned from a stay at Hotel Bismarck and want to go back! I had an amazing week and returned to England totally relaxed and refreshed. Having never been to Bad Hofgastein before I checked out the reviews on this site before booking my hotel. I am so glad I did. The excellent reviews were spot on.

The Hotel has such a calm atmosphere and is furnished to the highest standards. I found the beds and pillows really comfy and had the best nights' sleep ever, away from home. Waking up to the sound of birds singing, the fresh mountain air and the chime of the church bell in the distance is magical. The food was excellent and staff very attentive and professional. The pools are so lovely, like stepping into a warm bath and to be able to swim from inside to outside was amazing.

I booked the Hotel as I wanted to visit the Heilstollen (Healing Caves) and a lot of guests stay at the hotel for the same reason. Being unable to speak German was a bit of problem as there were no other English guests, but thankfully I met some lovely Austrians who spoke perfect English. If I hadn't found an English speaking gentleman to show me what to do at the caves I am sure I wouldn't have gone in, as all the instructions are in German and I was the only English person there! I now know what to do though, and am sure I will return to the caves and definitely to the Bismarck. Next time though I shall take my husband!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Scrummycake
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Our ski holiday at the Hotel Bismarck was certainly the best we ever had, and we've been to lots of hotels/resorts in Austria. The Bad Hofgastein ski area is superb, add to it the excellent service at Hotel Bismarck and you've got a winner.

We loved the very personal service that you get at the hotel - the owners greet you personally on your day of arrival, and then are present at breakfast and dinner every day, making sure all the guests are well cared for.

The food at Hotel Bismarck is excellent, it really is gourmet, and this was consistent throughout the week. Lots and lots of choice at breakfast, then a 5-course-dinner with salad buffet, entree, soup, choice of main, and dessert. Each dish was excellent quality and the hotel also prides itself on using local ingredients.

Our rate included a "3/4 board" rather than just half-board - the extra included a light lunch of soup&salad, and also fresh cakes every day, served late afternoon. We were normally on the ski slopes during the day, so didn't have lunch at the hotel, but it's a good option for non-skiers.

Most people make an effort to dress-up for dinner, especially for the gala-dinner on Wednesdays. We thought this was really nice, and adds to the wonderful experience.

We loved the spa - there are 4 swimming pools - two indoor and two outdoor, and you can swim from indoor to outdoor, which is heated even in the winter. It's fantastic experience to be able to swim outside while it's snowing. The two spa areas are separate, and 2 swimming pools are for adults and the other 2 for families. However, during the week we stayed at Hotel Bismarck there were only very few small children present, so we were able to use the pools normally dedicated to families, and usually we were the only ones there. In addition to the swimming pools, there is a hot tub, and a whole "spa world" with several saunas, steam room, relaxation room with water beds, etc. It really is amazing. The use of the spa was included in our rate, and the hotel then offers further treatments for extra cost - massage, facials, pedicure etc. - well priced, and well worth it.

The rooms were very nice, the hotel has 3 different buildings and we stayed at the Stammhaus - the oldest building. Our room was large, very clean, and well appointed. My only negative point was that we felt the walls between the rooms were a bit thin to our liking, and sometimes we could hear the TV from the neighbours. Next time we come to Hotel BIsmarck we will pay the bit extra for the rooms in the newest part of the hotel, which is the Fuerstenhaus.

There is a ski-bus stop around the corner from the hotel, which takes you to the Schlossalm Bahn (about 10 mins) or to the Angertal Bahn skilifts (another 10 mins or so). Both are good starting points to access the ski-area. We rented skis at the Angertal Bahn ski-lift station, and they also offered us their "ski-depot" free of charge, meaning we could leave our skis there overnight. This made a huge difference as we could travel on the ski-bus without dragging the skis along- so much more comfortable!

Overall the Hotel Bismarck is excellent, and we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Fuerstenhaus are the newest and best appointed.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hela1
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We booked a spacious two room appartment in one of the three buildings (Schlössl). Nice view, calm, large balcony. The underground corridor to the spa area and main building is agreeable.The hotel is situated right in the center of the village, but has still sufficient parking spaces (which is not elsewhere the case in Bad Hofgastein).The station for the bus to go to the skiing areas is round the corner, thus you practically don't need your car. The absolute highlight is the phantastic dinners with five-course menues (one can choose between three!). An other highlight is the spa area with swimming pools both inside and outside the hall. What is particularly pleasant is that they have two separate pool areas: One for adults an anotherone for families with children - thus one can remain undisturbed.
The only critical remark: The tables in the restaurant are placed too close to eachother - we had to unintentionally listen a full week to the simultaneous conversations left, right, in front and in the back...our neighbour tables were placed hardly 30 centimeters to our table...probably they could arrange that a bit more generously....

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wolfgang s
Reviewed 1 March 2013

My wife and I were delighted to spend 8 days in mid-February experiencing the warm hospitality of Family Wendler and Herr Schmidt who greeted us each morning and evening in the dining room . Their creative Chef de cuisine and his staff served up excellent, gourmet meals each day often with thematic menus and decor. All of the Hotel staff were friendly and most professional -from Reception/Reservations , Dining rooms and bar-Wellness spa and Housekeeping..Our spacious room with balcony ,overlooking the summer garden afforded spectacular mountain scenery.
Each day after alpine or X-country skiing we relaxed in the heated, outdoor-indoor pools.
Hotel Bismarck is conveniently located to the skating and curling rinks, post office, town square shops and cafes, bus stops to the Ski slopes . We highly recommend this excellent hotel for Winter or Summer vactions..Prima !

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies overlooking the garden and facing the mountains offer sunshine and scenic view...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple