“Well run hotel great food good facilities”

Oesterreichischer Hof
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Bad Hofgastein
“Well run hotel great food good facilities”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed here with my husband for a weeks skiing. The hotel is excellent. The staff are courteous and could not be more helpful and their English is very good. The food is the best we have ever had on a half board holiday in Europe with a really good variety. Hotel facilities deserve the four star rating also - it has its own pool and sauna/steam room as well as being connected via an underground corridor to the Alpen Therme in the resort. Its in a good location for the ski lift and buses from town.Bad Hof itself is a very quiet resort but this did not bother us as we were here to relax.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank suejcubitt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Having experienced Austrian hospitality many times, I can definitely say that this hotel had no idea how to treat its guests. I was a solo female traveller and I was seen as a nuisance in the hotel from the moment I arrived. Before arriving I emailed the hotel and asked for the best way of getting to them from the train station, they said that they would send me a taxi, which they didn't, I ended up on another taxi which cost me €15 for a 5 minute journey, only to learn later that I could have take a free bus!! Why they couldn't tell me that? I have no idea.

I had stayed at the Astoria hotel the year before and that was a truly amazing and family run hotel. The staff were wonderful and friendly and the food amazing.

The location of the hotel is lovely and the fact that it is stuck to the Alpentherme a wonderful bonus point but there is no bar, so as a solo traveller I had to go to my room as there was no where to socialise. On my second night my table was changed, without them asking me, and they put me with a Russian lady who didn't speak a word of English. I would have preferred to sit on my own. I was made to feel out of place all the time.

The hotel is very clean but I had to ask for toiletries in my room every day. The food was average but the gentlemen serving in the restaurant were very nice. It really came down to the two ladies at reception. They had no warmth, friendliness or customer service skills at all. If this is a family run hotel, as the website says, then I saw no sign of that at all, I've had more warmth from a huge chain hotel in new york - it was very much a pay your money and go. With the ladies at reception, every single request was too much trouble. They were unfriendly to the point of being rude and very unhelpful.

In summary I would not come back to this hotel. I come to Austria to receive warm Austrian hospitality and not hostility. I would go back to the Astoria or try one of the other hotels joined to the Alpentherme.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank LondonTraveller011
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This was my first visit to Bad Hofgastein and I picked the hotel at random from the Crystal brochure. It was a really good choice.
At all other Austrian hotels I have stayed in, on arrival I have had to queue up to check in, produce my booking documents and fill in the form before being given the room key. The friendly lady at the reception desk the Osterreichisherhof didn't want to see any paperwork and just asked for my name, before handing over my room key. I asked "Don't I need to fill in a form?" and she said " Oh we can do that later!". ( We never got round to it.) This proved to be typical of the relaxed, helpful atmosphere of the hotel. Another lady on the desk went to carry my case to my room. (Of course I didn't let a lady carry my luggage!)

My room was comfortable, well decorated and spotlessly clean.

As a solo-traveller when skiing, I normally get put on a single dining table. - Not here. Three single people were put on one table and two more on an adjoining one, but on the first evening, after introducing ourselves we merged the two tables, and so it stayed for the rest of the week. One of the five had booked for a week's skiing lessons, but the rest of us ended up skiing together.

The evening meals were the best I have ever had at an Austrian ski resort hotel; well-cooked and beautifully presented. The buffet breakfast was ample, although I have been to bigger hotels where there is a larger selection. Service at all times was very good.

The Celtic Spa has saunas, steam room, infrared room and relaxation room. There is a further sauna and steam-room attached to the swimming pool. I didn't spend long here because guests at this hotel (and some others) get free entry to the Alpentherme Spa. Guests can walk in their bathrobe and slippers along the underground passage.

The Alpentherme is a municipal spa, so not exactly luxurious, but it has a good range of facilities, including "Sauna World". There are several saunas (some inside, some outdoors), steam-room, infrared cabin, with various relaxation areas. Don't miss the Cascadia sauna, which seats around 60 - 70 people. Unlike the other saunas that are permanently open, the Cascadia has an Aufguss that takes place every hour. People start queuing outside at about ten minutes before the hour. When the door is unlocked they pour in and fill up the benches. Don't be late! -You won't be let in. The Aufguss timetable is posted outside. Various herbs etc are used. every day there is also a salt aufguss, a honey aufguss, where you are given either a handful of salt or a pot of honey to rub into your skin, and also a beer aufguss, where everyone gets a free bottle of cold non-alcoholic beer (to drink).

If you are British you might be put off by the fact that you have to be naked throughout the Sauna World. - Don't be!! - Try it and you'll find it is no big deal. - The place is full of Austrians and Germans who are so obviously totally at ease, that you'll soon feel comfortable. If you are shy you can cover-up as much as you like with a towel, but don't be tempted to conceal a swimsuit. - I saw two ladies who were trying that being politely but firmly asked to leave a packed sauna. - (Surely more embarrassing than being naked!)

The Alpentherme stays open until 11.00p.m., which is a couple of hours later that the spas in most hotels, and it is a great way to ease away the aches and pains of skiing!

The Osterreichisherhof is just a short walk from the main ski-lift, and there is a free ski-bus that will take you there or to neighbouring Dorfgastein, Badgastein and Sportgastein.

Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AndrewL123802
Kent
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We have just returned from an excellent week's skiing in Bad Hofgastein and I cannot complement this hotel enough. The room, the food, the staff and the facilities were all outstanding. The free access to the Alpentherme was a massive plus although the hotels own spa facilities were first class and you can walk there through an underground tunnel in bath robes which can be hired for the week for 7 euros. Breakfast was ample and the evening meals were classy although if you like chips with everything, you will be disappointed. There is a children's option every night for the fussy eaters. Our room, although not massive, was spotlessly clean and the hotel's boot and ski facilities are good. From the door, it is about 30m to the bus stop. All in all, I think you would be hard pushed to find a better place to stay in Bad Hofgastein and we would definately return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tomant007
england
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We had one of the refurbished rooms with a balcony which had a view to the main gondola and mountain. very nice clean and well furnished.
the food in the hotel is typically Austrian which can on occasions not be quite what you expect but overall very good and if something is not cooked to your liking (pink pork was one we experienced) they were very helpful in taking it back and sorting it out.
there isn't much of a bar as mentioned in a lot of reviews but it does have a café to the front of the building which is nice during the day. A 5-10min walk from gondola but the ski bus stop is right in front of the property, we have been skiing here twice now and the ski area is good - gondola can be very busy in the mornings as it is the only way to the main ski area.
The resort is very quiet in the evenings and not a lot of après ski to be had although we have had some memorable ends to the day in the small bar at the bottom of the gondola.
The addition of free entry to the large spa is a real bonus and is reached via an underground tunnel.
overall a very enjoyable hotel to stay in

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank cazzyb
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here back in February for a weeks skiing and it was perfect. The hotel staff were helpful, the room was large with a great view. Good wifi connection in my room.
The choice of evening menu was presented in the language of the nationality seated at each table. Food was great and varied. We ordered what we wanted from the evening menu each morning before we went off skiing.
The free thermal spa linked to the hotel was a treat after a day on the slopes. To walk underground in your dressing gown and slippers and not have to go out in the cold was a huge bonus. We used it every evening.
The boot room was in a convenient location with a door straight outside. The free bus to the lift was almost on the doorstop.
All in all I feel we really made the right choice for our weeks holiday and would recommend to anyone.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank K71review
Florida City, Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This has been my first and probably last ski trip to Austria. I am going to stick to France and Switzerland in future for ski-ing. This hotel has the most unfriendly, rude, patronising staff on the reception desk. We arrived yesterday for a week's ski-ing and if we could, we would leave today. The women on reception have no manners, no idea how to speak to tourists and act as if it is a massive hassle to have guests in the hotel. They have offered no warmth, no comfort and no charm. This place could be a fantastic hotel if it was owned and run by people who understand tourists and understand people and what makes them tick. We have 2 young children with us and they couldn't have been more awkward towards us as a family. They clearly hate young children, although were more than happy to take the money to have us here! On the first and second day we were spoken to like this "get those children's feet off that chair" (this was after one child almost fell onto the tiled floor in the restaurant as the chairs slide all over the place), "check your pockets for the tickets" (after they failed to give us small plastic discs that open a door) to "when asking if we could move tables as the table they had placed us on was in the basement, the food upstairs and therefore dangerous to keep dragging toddlers up and down the stairs the woman with the black bob said "no you cannot, you sit downstairs and ask someone to carry your food down". I then asked her to carry it down and she huffed and stomped her feet. The list is too long of the insults they have dished out - the two women on reception being the worst culprits. On a positive note the male waiters have made an effort and even they seem browbeaten by these hideous women. The website is very misleading.. We booked on the basis that the hotel was 4 star quality - they have obviously hired a great photographer. What we got when we arrived was something akin to a 2 star motel, with sofas that wouldn't have been accepted to sell by a charity shop. The answer we got when we called reception to say that we had not got what we had paid for was this "what do you want me to do about it - we are full". When I mentioned I was going to review the hotel on trip advisor, a different room was suddenly found. The resort is dead, the staff are clearly waiting for the end of season. We booked this through Crystal and again what a joke - can't see the point of these type of ski holidays - much better to book your own hotel, flights and transfers as the point of being with a ski operator is what exactly? To anyone thinking of booking this hotel if you are a family, especially with young children, I would not advise you to waste your money. This week has cost us £3500 for the hotel and flights and in my view this is definitely not 4 star quality. We feel completely and utterly ripped off. To sum it up, this is in my view the Austrian version of Fawlty Towers.

Room Tip: Don't book a family suite, unless you like furniture that would get rejected by a charity shop...