“Great heritage still maintained well”
Review of Salt Mine Hallein

Ice Caves, Waterfalls, and Salt Mines Private Tour from Salzburg
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Hallein
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: In Hallein, the oldest mine in the world open to visitors, everyone from the age of four up can take part in a treasure hunt – and follow the mysterious, ancient miners’ tunnels for many kilometres into the mystical mountain. The perfect day trip for families, groups or school classes.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was a different experience altogether and the way you are taken into the mine by a vehicle was marvelous. Each part was explained in detailed and the descent over the slide was thrilling.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The trip to the salt mine was quite straightforward, train to Hallein and then the bus down. The location was easy to spot and bus driver would 'warn' when nearing as well.
Our tour consisted of a group of school children and it was great to have them. Their enthusiasm encouraged us to try on the brine and the slides.
The whole experience was very memorable and we had a great guide to top it up.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We enjoyed the half-day out of Salzburg, but -- in retrospect -- should have used the time more wisely by visiting another priority site there, which we missed because of the mine tour. Pleasant enough, but this is not a working salt mine and -- compared with a coal mine we visited in Nova Scotia, which really put you close down and in the dark to see what working conditions were like and also briefed you with an introductory film and during the tour re the working conditions and unionization struggle of the miners -- the little explanation during this sale mine tour, including the two or three short "site" movies shown, were not historically accurate or believable and not very informative. The Austrians here and elsewhere have a penchant for presenting a Disney Land history of their own country.

1  Thank 60726Nicky_11
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I'm torn on how to rate this because overall we had a good time and got some great photos and our kids enjoyed it, but in sum I think it was just okay and maybe we should've visited a different salt mine.

We all enjoyed the train ride down and the slides, and we also enjoyed walking through the tunnels, and crossing the Austria-Germany border underground, but I agree with other reviewers who thought there wasn't a lot of actual information on this tour about the history or the mining process. There were displays and artifacts along the way but most were never highlighted by the guide.

I thought the boat ride was very disappointing - weird and cheesy music and light show is not what I was expecting and I don't think enhanced the very short 50 meter boat ride underground. I also thought the video story presented at various stops was not informative and not funny. It had subtitles in English but neither of my elementary age kids could read them fast enough and even when they could they didn't understand the weird dramatic interpretation of Wolf Dietrich etc.

We didn't have a problem with the wait time as we arrived fairly early at 10 but there was a decent line as we were leaving around 11:30-12. They did take several pictures which were for sale but a couple were quite good and we bought them for 7 euros a piece. Overall I thought the tour was expensive at 48 euros for a family (two adults and two young kids).

Still, the kids really liked it and I'm glad we went . Hope my review helps and that at least you will know what to expect.

4  Thank LivingInWien
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We had a very interesting, suave guide who's very energetic and informative, passionate about his work. The guide spoke in both German and English. I can't describe any further about the tour like many others already have. but it's a good 1.5 hour of fun. Highly Recommended !

1  Thank Bluemonkey07