Hotel Hafnerwirt
Simmerlwirt Inn(Salzburg)
Gasthof Schorn(St. Leonhard)
Hotel Untersberg(St. Leonhard)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in Hallein whilst on a workshop nearby.
The staff were friendly, efficient and very helpful. Our room in the eaves was clean and well maintained. The beds were comfortable and we had a spa bath which was an unexpected bonus!! The breakfast croissants were to die for. We had a 5 minute walk across the river into the old town. Perfect!! We would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to return. THANK YOU!!!
There is a Mexican restaurant in the basement where we ate twice. Very good English spoken.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Diana J
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I was very happy with the charming accommodation which this hotel offers..It may not be the RITZ ..but it is comfortable ..clean...and has a nice continental breakfast...the service is courteous and helpful and the hotel is a short distance from public transportation AND ABOUT 12 KM FROM SALZBURG.
Would I book at this hotel again? MOST DEFENITELY...IN FACT I WILL BE BOOKING A STAY IN THIS HOTEL VERY SOON...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2012

It's possible we just hit this place on a bad night last week when we pulled off the autobahn for an overnight stop, but our experience at this hotel was simply awful. It's a shame, because the building has a lot of charm and is convenient to the autobahn.

As it was, our tiny room was depressing, dingy, and not clean. The bathroom especially was smelly and we couldn't seem to find a way to stop the odor filling the room except to close the door and stuff a towel along the bottom.

Never mind asking for anything from the front desk; they were so rude to us when we checked in. Good idea to steer clear of them if possible; they're there only to take your money and hand you a key, and that's all.

The walls are thin and we could hear every sound all up and down the corridor. Thick cigarette and what smelled like marijuana smoke filled our room at night.

I feel very badly for the fellow traveler who got food poisoning from eating in the restaurant a couple of weeks ago. We didn't like the looks of it either, but it was only luck that we passed it up and instead found a meal in the old town.

All of this might be perfectly acceptable if it were cheap, but it's not. We paid far too much for what this hotel is, though I'm sure it is cheaper if you book a package or group tour.

I would like to find one positive thing to say, and so I will say that that breakfast in the morning was very good and the service there was very sweet. Otherwise, awful, overpriced hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ALocalReviewer
susip p, Inhaber at Hotel Hafnerwirt, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2012

Thank you, that there is a review site like yours, where the owner of a hotel, position must respond to unjustified review.
We are a 3 star hotel, family-run establishment in the center of the town Hallein.
We are not dirty, noisy, unfreindlly and overpriced! They came without a reservation in our house and I have offered my last two rooms, 1 double room for single use and 1 single room, togehter in one room was not possible, becauce the lady endure no noise, but the man is snoring very loudly. The price per room is € 55,00 with breakfast buffet and taxes, free WIFI, etc. is € 55,00 overpriced just for 1 night?! The price for a double is just € 85,00 for both, but you whant 2 separate rooms. Of cource, a city hotel is not so quiet as a holiday hotel in the countryside. Why do you go to a city hotel, if you need absolut silence? You have about 30 minutes needed to make a decision, whether you take the rooms or not? The viev not to the street and not in the near from the restaurant, becauce the smell from the kitchen could come!
You said, your room smelled in the night of marijuana, I am sorry, I do not know if marijuana smelled.The next problem was the restaurant, becauce ther are 4 seperate rooms, 2 of them are for smokers the other 2 rooms are for non smokers, seperated by a passage. If the lady heard that there are smokers, she began to scream to me, she cannot eat in the restaurant and cry than. At this moment, I thought I was in the hidden camera?! Your partner has apologized several times in the menatime, for your conduct. Enough is enough! I said, please return the keys and find somewhere else a other hotel for your stay. At the same time, there was a group in the Mozartroom had dinner, in the restaurant was about more than 100 guests, in the hotel was about 70 guest it was very busy this evening. We should be ashamed of ourselves? Your partner did not even have shoes on!!! He was wearing plastic bags on their feet tied together with ribbons!!! I have unfortunately not seen it by the check in. The man told me, he was hiking in Austria and therefore he has broken shoes. I had to apologize to the other guests, the sight was not very nice at the breakfast! It is not fair, that you write bad things about us, the truth is different!!! Please excuse my spelling errors.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We were just passing and stopped on the off chance after a long drive ,and I'm gla we did clean rooms very helpfull staff and a fabulous Mexican resteraunt that also does regional food and I must say does it very well ! The food portions are huge to .

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simonbarrier
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this cosy hotel in the town Hallein. We had a small suite of 2 rooms and bathroom - all were very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was nice.The location is good, easy to reach, not far from the Highway from Salzburg to the south, very close to Bad Durnberg and its attraction (Salt mine, Tobogan), not far from Werfen (Ice caves) or Konigsee.
Only a bit noisy in the morning (from the road next by).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family