“Location, Location, Location. 5*”

Seehotel am Hallstattersee
Ranked #6 of 11 Obertraun B&B and Inns
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Location, Location, Location. 5*”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The rooms were adequate. After reading other visitors reviews i was a bit dubious and my expectations were low, however, the rooms was fine, the showers was fine and the water pressure was good which is often rare, the toilet was small but then at 6' 4" i can't expect too much.
Breakfast was a buffet affair, the same everyday but enough choice to keep your interest, cereals, breads, ham, cheese, toast, and a variety of yoghurts and jams etc, fine for a good days skiing or hiking.
The location was good as it sits about 100m from the new bus stop at the new ski hire shop which makes it perfect for skiers as the bus is free to the Krippenstein cable car and literally means you have to walk about 150m each way each day and the rest can be skied!! If you want to catch the train the station is about 250-300m away.
The nearest Pizzeria is the bowling ally, 50m away which serves very good food, (we virtually lived here for a week despite trying other restaurants)
The shop and cash machine are about 1km into the village though so that's probably the only downside.
The proprietor is pleasant enough and speaks excellent English, my only criticism would be their refusal to allow us to pay part cash part card as we wanted to burn up Euro's and they demanded payment by one type only. a little unneccesarily inflexible if you ask me.

We would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front suffer from the ringing bell from the level crossing circa 150m away, room 101 al...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vaughan, Ontario
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We booked this hotel before left home, but on the day that we drove from Cesky Krumlov in Czech Republic, somehow we didn't manage our time very well. We would miss the latest check-in time at 6PM, so we tried to contact the hotel when we passed Czech-Austria border. Luckily, in an OMV gas station in Leonfelden, the lady in the Viva store was so nice to help us making a call to the hotel, although we can barely speak Deutsch. The lady in the hotel can speak English, and she would wait for us.
We actually arrived almost 9PM, the lady in the hotel was still waiting for us and gave us the key before she left for the day. The room on the second floor was more precious to us than any five-star hotel for that evening after a long trip from Czech. It is not big but tidy, has a split washroom with shower, also a small TV and a table with two chairs in the room, of course a big bed we needed so much for the night.
In the morning, we found it also has a balcony oversees the backyard, next to it is the Hallstatter Lake and the mountains. After the breakfast in the dinning hall downstairs, we had a walk on this side of the lakeshore. The ferry dock is just next to the hotel, and a small park beside it. We enjoyed the quiet morning under the sun in the mountains, watched the swans and mandarin ducks wandering on the lake, and saw a couple of trains passing on the far right side. We didn't see many fellow tourists on that morning in early April, only met and greeted a gentleman from Berlin. I would compare the scene here to Banff and Lake Louise in west Canada.
When we checked out I tested Wi-Fi, the signal is good in the reception area. We parked our car in the front yard of the hotel. Hallstatt town is in 10 minute driving range, there are about three paid parking lots outside the town. Because it's still early in the Spring, there is no loads of tour buses breaking the silence of this town, we also had a very good time in Hallstatt.
We really appreciated the kindness of the lady in OMV/Viva store and the staff in Seehotel am Hallstattersee, they made us having the best memories of the great country of Austria.

Room Tip: The hotel is easy to find, even when I drove in late night, the town has directive signs to hotels a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Gelnhausen, Germany
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed in this hotel during the Christmas vacation. Although we arrived quite late by car, the hotel was not so difficult to reach. It was about ten minutes drive from Hallstatt. The rooms were rather small, filled with wooden furniture and most things you needed. Especially on the balcony facing the Hallstattersee, it was a really amazing view of the cliffs covered by snow. In most rooms, the wi-fi signal was not good, but there were chairs in the corridor where you could relax and surf the internet.
The breakfast was served in a large room with wonderful snow view. And the breakfast itself was also nice. Although we had some problem with their booking system during checkout, it was still a memorable experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake have better view, but still cannot see Hallstatt. And rooms close to the stair...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Doesntmatter
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Although I am not the kind that writes negative reviews about places I've been to as I am quite a tolerant person, I found myself in a situation that has never happened to me all over this world (including other parts of Austria) and that pushed me to write about all the negatives which otherwise I would have ignored.
Concerning the room, this quite small but bearable if you don't stay too long. The TV is too small and you can not watch properly, only few channels are available. There is no Wi fi in the room, only if you stay on the hall, which turns difficult if you came here to relax. The bathroom is incredibly small (probably not even 1 square meter), NO SHOWER ENCLOSURE just a shabby curtain that can not keep water inside. So, if you want to take a shower, no matter how attentive you are, the result will be that the tiny bathroom will be flooded. There was NO SOAP/SHAMPOO or whatsoever for the entire period we stayed (5 nights). The toilet paper was rationalized as well and for our last night there, no body bothered to replace the empty one. Towels are not changed, sheets not at all. Bed was a ruin, I was afraid to sleep in it as once in a while, boards were falling from it.
Concerning the restaurant, there is a small variety of choices, NOT VARIED at ALL and disturbingly repeating if you stay more than 2 nights. We had half pension, so dinner was included. Dinner was repetitive as well, every day only pork or turkey. But this was not the problem itself. The problem was the serving which took up to 2 hours because of the lack of personnel or I don't really know why. The truth is that you were waiting and waiting to be served until you got bored or you starved. Drinks were not included and you had to pay for them. For the record, this is not half pension what they offer, take a look at other hotels that include this service.
But the icing on the cake that actually pushed me to write this review was our last day there, to be more specific, our last morning there. We had our breakfast, I barely ate something because I was not feeling well and we went to check out. When we were at the reception and we wanted to pay four what we consumed plus the resort tax or something, surprise, surprise. The attendant asked to pay an additional 6 euros because that specific morning I was seen by another guest taking a sandwich in my purse. That simply, without any proof, without any logic, just because of some gossip in the hotel, I was treated like a thief, ACCUSED of something SHE NEVER SAW ME DOING. She did not bother to ask me whether it was true or not, she just ACCUSED ME because of some GOSSIP. I did not want to argue with her because I told you, I was not feeling well, I paid her everything she wanted, SHE DID NOT GIVE ME A RECEIPT, THIS IS CALLED BLACK MONEY AND FISCAL EVASION and it is really SEVERE if I make an official CHARGE. For a country like AUSTRIA, this is truly SHAMEFUL. Because I was terribly bothered by this, I told her that even if I don't have time to make an official charge because we were in a hurry and we had a long journey back home, I will write a negative review but she did not bother to care.
As far as I am concerned, I had too much trouble with this hotel and that being said, I don t want to hear about it as long as I live and considering this, I warmly advise you to choose another one in the area as there are several other options which I am sure they will not make shame out of a country like Austria.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Visitor Y
Seeh0tel, Manager at Seehotel am Hallstattersee, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Shameful but true: this guest tried to steal food from the breakfast buffet and we told her to pay for the lunch paket. After that she threated us to ruin us and will write a really bad comment.
We are sorry taht we had to make such experience with a guest.

Travellers are raving about these Obertraun hotels

Middlewich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

For the price, this hotel was more than fine. The highlight has to be the scenery which the hotel was set ; absolutley stunning. I went during late feb and it was truely quiet and relaxing. Not many short stays can I come back and say I've come back so refreshed.

The shower was a little dissapointing though, I'm 6ft 4 and the shower head only reached the hieght of my nipples, and the restuarant was too expensive for the food (I had turkey shnitzel - worked out as 12 Euros for a piece of breadcrumbed turkey, a small potato and cranberry sauce, was left hungry!)

However, those niggles aside, it was great otherwise! Get on it!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake side view!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Balatonalmadi, Hungary
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Dear Seehotel and Tripadvisor Readers!

I visited this beautiful place in October with my husband. The Hotel take place in an awsome enviroment,the rooms inside were clean and nice,the bed was comfortable.The stuff was friendly,helpfull and we could feel the hospitality of our hostess.The food was excelent: fine and more than enough.Let me to tell you all,this short period was our second honeymoon and that was the perfect scene for that. The garden of the hotel and the lake beside seem like in a fairytale.
The Seehotel is a perfect base for starting taking trips all the area.
We recommend Seehotel and Hallstatt honestly for travellers and visitors.

That wasn't our last visitation,we'll come back! Thanks for Seehotel!

György and Judit Tábori from Balatonalmádi, Magyarország

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Israel
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Spent 3 nights in this hotel, and it was very lovely. The place is very nice and the location is perfect. right on the lake, and 4 K'm from Halstat, but without the noise... a quiet place with beautifull view.

The room was just what we needed, and everything was just right for us.

We will come back again, for sure. I hope it happens sooner and not later...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank dan_lazar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Obertraun
Resort Obertraun
Hotel Haus Am See
Hotel Haus Am See
#8 of 11 in Obertraun
Cafe Restaurant zum Muhlbach

Been to Seehotel am Hallstattersee? Share your experiences!