“Staff ran the hotel as they wished- no owner”
Review of Hotel Haus Am See

and 1 more site!
Hotel Haus Am See
Ranked #9 of 11 Obertraun B&B and Inns
Newick
“Staff ran the hotel as they wished- no owner”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Came here 12 July 2012 with party of walkers. Great position overlooking lake and clean rooms- that is all that is good about this hotel. The downside is that the owner has no front of house skills and it seemed as she would have been happier not having any guests at all - she did not make anyone welcome and on leaving on our last day, did not say anything to enquire if we had enjoyed our stay or not. On the last night we were told our bills would be prepared afer dinner to pay that evening but she had gone off duty. The waiter Michael told us to come down before breakfast the next day and they would be ready. Although we were there at 7.45am she did not say a word but started to prepare her cat's food! When she did get round to us she told us to go away and the bills would be ready after breakfast! After breakfast they were still not prepared! In the end she just had them ready as we left - for us never to return.

Be warned - do not go into the restaurant for a meal after 8.15 in the evening! We went in at 8.20 and the waiter, Micheal, told us that last orders were at 8.30, inspite of us seeing a notice on the restaurant door which stated 9.00p.m.! However it got worse when we ordered a starter and main course he was upset and told us the kitcken closed at 9.00 and we should not have both. We stood our ground! Later when we had finished our starters and main course and ordered our desserts he nearly had a heart attack! We were made to feel uncomfortable all evening and he not only spoiled a good day up to that point but it showed us that really no one in the hotel cared about the enjoyment of guests. The last night was the same but a little worse as the owner let another table of friends smoke in the restaurant at 9.30p.m. which is against the law.

I have been to many hotels in the world and I would class this as the worst hotel for customer care. The hotel was run by the staff as they thought fit and the guests were just getting in the way. Needless to say this came from the top the owner.

Room Tip: Single rooms have no toilets
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Richard B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This Hotel has the best location on Lake Halstatt. Make sure that you book a room with a view of the Lake. The boat that tours the Lake is on the property, and is not that expensive. The rooms were very clean, the staff was very helpful and the breakfast was typical European - plentiful.

Room Tip: Pay the 10 Euro extra for a room with a view. You will have a balcony to enjoy the view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Fresno
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Came here in March 2012, off season, alone. Stumbled on the place after coming up to the area w/o any reservations. Stayed 4 nights. Could not have been happier. "Ollie" was front desk guy when I checked in, smiling, helpful, very nice. Room was small, but spotless clean. Balcony was tremendous, but small, even for hotel standards. View was right out of Walt Disney, the Sound of Music, etc. Stunning, even on the two rainy days we had. Sunrises were incredible. Two very clean, well behaved dogs and the fat Tabby who was the real owner of the property. (I'm a cat guy...) Bed was passable, I slept OK, but no complaints. Can't speak to the noise during summer, but it was tomb-quiet when I was there. Internet was great, very reliable; cell phone coverage was very good on Verizon. There are no phones in the rooms.

I'm saving the best for last; DINNER! I'm assuming during the off-season staffing is at a minimum and Candida, the owner, was chief cook and probably bottle washer. I got the Schnetzel "Kase mit Schinken und onion sauce" HOLY CRAP! It was the best meal I had on my 3-week trip. Amazing to say the least. Salads were fresh and very tasty... the ice cream was off the charts good, but I'm told it was the grocery store brand "Eskimo" which is common in Austria grocery stores. WOW! I asked her if she cooks like this at home and she said "Yeah, no big deal..." She was kind of perplexed I was so effusive with my praise... but I had two dinners in the cafe and both were excellent.

It wasn't perfect, no hotel is; small stuff. There was no shower curtain in my bathroom, so I just did without and mopped up the water on the floor, no big deal. TV was very tiny and way up on the ceiling, I didn't use it hardly. But for the price, and I mean a RIDICULOUSLY low price, I was completely happy. For you Americans, you will not believe this kind of property is such a good deal. Lakeside, views, 5 minutes from Hallstatt, 5 minutes from Freeride Arena Krippensteinin ski resort, a beginner hill for the most part, and with summer lifts to the high country hiking trails... Ollie and Candida both speak very good English. You'll love it if you can reconcile small rooms. It's crammed in with two other similar hotels, kind of in the back from the road, hard to find. Pay attention to the signs.

Room Tip: I only saw one, the one I stayed at,
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
singapore
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Room is clean which is crucial for any traveler.
But we did not sleep well due to the uncomfortable beds (no support and too thin). one night is just nice for us.
Washroom is tiny even for Asians.
But the view is amazing.. million-dollar view for a 3-star hotel.
Loved the resident dogs and the huge fat cat.
very near to hallstatt.. regardless of by car / by train.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cynfei
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We sat under umbrellas on the patio, relaxed, and had refreshments. I had a beautiful, wonderful Greek salad with lots of sizable chunks of feta cheese and brown olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and nice lettuce like I grew in my garden. There were several resident dogs: one very well-mannered, white German shepherd, who made his rounds looking for fallen food. He never begged. He just stayed attentive. The breakfast was nice and pretty normal: boiled eggs, ham, cheese, jelly, loaf of bread where you slice your own, cereals, milk, OJ, and coffee. Our room was clean and small, and the bathroom looked like a travel trailer bathroom. The view from our balcony was outstanding. Plan to bring bug spray for the mosquitos. I wish I had. You have to ride a ferry to get to Hallstatt. The train does not stop there. The Dachstein Ice Caves are incredible if you survive the walk up half the mountain.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 14 September 2011

The hotel is directly at the shore of lake Hallstatt. Rooms are simple and relatively small, but those facing west have wonderful lake view. Breakfasts are of a good standard for a three star hotel. We had a half board for our stay and really enjoyed - the food for dinner was great and plentiful (though there was no choice) and dining outside with the lake view at sunset was a pleasure. The staff was friendly and helpful.
The hotel is an ideal place for exploring the surrounding area. We did cycling and hiking trips around and the need to use the car was limited. The hotel is not having any storage for bicycles and you need to have them in the garden (almost unprotected from weather). There is a railway station nearby - we were afraid of the potential noise, but the traffic is limited to daytime.

Room Tip: There is no point staying there without the lake view.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Standa S
Antwerp
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Looked at the 360° panoramic view and the nice presentation of the hotel on their website, we thought this would be a great and nice spot to choose for our holiday. At arrival, the hotel was no way near how it was presented. Old rooms with the ceiling peeling off due to water ingress, absolutely rude and unfriendly welcome, evening meal which we booked in advance where a disgrace. We didn't found the room which is presented on the website! Burnt food, too less for the price, etc. Being at the edge of the lake, we could imagine some late night noise from people sitting on the terrace. We were kept awake by this noise as well as from their own personnel which found it necessary to cheer and jump in the lake at 2 am in the morning...We actually ran away after 2 days of stay. An absolute shame to the other hotels in the area, which did and do their best. This hotel is an absolute no go, we recommend to remove this from your hotel listing

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
14 Thank Traveller726

Travellers are raving about these Obertraun hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Obertraun
Resort Obertraun
#3 of 4 in Hallstatt
Seehotel am Hallstattersee
Seehotel am Hallstattersee
#6 of 11 in Obertraun

Been to Hotel Haus Am See? Share your experiences!