“BEAUTIFUL!”
Review of Hotel Haus Am See

Hotel Haus Am See
Ranked #9 of 11 Obertraun B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 January 2013

don't have words to describe the magnificent views from our balcony of the Hallstatt lake, snow covered hills and Hallstatt in the distance. the room was nice, though small, but no complains. the balcony was lovely. had dinner one night and liked it. the breakfast was real nice too and kept us going till lunch. we liked the staff and the owner too, who was very nice. we wanted to visit Hallstatt from teh hotel but were told the ferry from obertraun to Hallstatt does not operate in winters so we hiked to the Hallstatt station (which was a nice, but long snow covered walk) to take the ferry. on return we took a bus from Lahn in Hallstatt to Obertraun (got down near the ski equipment shop). folks visiting in winters, please note this. we also hiked through the snow covered forests on the outskirts of Obertraun as Krippenstein was fogged out completely that day. the hike was long, exerting, but rewarding with pristine views. had a long we had an early morning train and it had been raining in the evening so we requested the owner if it might be possible to drop us to the station and he agreed to do this and also got us a small takeaway breakfast from the bakery. it was raining in the morning! we're thankful to him for this. would recommend this place.

Room Tip: lake view room!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 December 2012

I am remiss. I need to write this review to thank the staff for their kindness to us. We stayed at this hotel in Sept., so glad we selected Haus Am See. We were graciously welcomed by Uli and checked in by 12:30. We had enough time to have a super lunch (best salads) by the lake before we were transported to Hallstadt by a boat which leaves the dock at the hotel at 1:30 (also leaves at 11:30} 11 euros for the two of us. Uli had shown us how to return via Stephane, another boat further down a lake path. We loved our walks along the lake to and from the hotel. That evening we had another great meal (try the fish, boiled potatoes and spinach). What was exceptional was the help we got from Erika at the desk in getting our boarding passes for Ryanair. It took a long time due to our stumbling around, but she was patient and ever so helpful. This hotel provided excellent wifi in our room. We enjoyed the balcony, the view from our room.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2012

You can have a great time at this hotel if you dont get stuck on its shortcomings because its a funny little inn with cramped rooms and odd smell in the hallways, but it has a stunning view from the balcony and you can have a dinner right by the lake of the hotel's pier. Make sure to book a table about the times of the local brass band performing from the boat on the lake. They play for about 40 minutes around sunset. Its an unforgettable experience. As I was told by the hotel staff the music is a curtesy of the town of Obertraun.

Room Tip: Dont go unless you get a room with a lake facing balcony. Rooftop rooms dont have balconies at all.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Although the hotel looks lovely as you see it from the train, the interior was very disappointing. Ill-fitting laminate floors, cheap creaky pine beds- curtains too small. A complete lack of comfort. i had a single so no balcony. And my shower room was tiny! Lots of hot water though! On a positive note the breakfast on the first three days was plentiful, on our last morning less so! We found we couldn't just turn up for dinner without telling them in the morning, fair enough but no need to reprimand us like school kids!
Although there was a router on top of a wall light in the corridor outside my room, I could only get wifi connection downstairs and that wasn't very reliable. Shame because it's such a beautiful place. I was with a group of walkers so we were out most of the time, but its nice to have a comfortable base to return to.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Came here 12 July 2012 with party of walkers. Great position overlooking lake and clean rooms- that is all that is good about this hotel. The downside is that the owner has no front of house skills and it seemed as she would have been happier not having any guests at all - she did not make anyone welcome and on leaving on our last day, did not say anything to enquire if we had enjoyed our stay or not. On the last night we were told our bills would be prepared afer dinner to pay that evening but she had gone off duty. The waiter Michael told us to come down before breakfast the next day and they would be ready. Although we were there at 7.45am she did not say a word but started to prepare her cat's food! When she did get round to us she told us to go away and the bills would be ready after breakfast! After breakfast they were still not prepared! In the end she just had them ready as we left - for us never to return.

Be warned - do not go into the restaurant for a meal after 8.15 in the evening! We went in at 8.20 and the waiter, Micheal, told us that last orders were at 8.30, inspite of us seeing a notice on the restaurant door which stated 9.00p.m.! However it got worse when we ordered a starter and main course he was upset and told us the kitcken closed at 9.00 and we should not have both. We stood our ground! Later when we had finished our starters and main course and ordered our desserts he nearly had a heart attack! We were made to feel uncomfortable all evening and he not only spoiled a good day up to that point but it showed us that really no one in the hotel cared about the enjoyment of guests. The last night was the same but a little worse as the owner let another table of friends smoke in the restaurant at 9.30p.m. which is against the law.

I have been to many hotels in the world and I would class this as the worst hotel for customer care. The hotel was run by the staff as they thought fit and the guests were just getting in the way. Needless to say this came from the top the owner.

Room Tip: Single rooms have no toilets
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This Hotel has the best location on Lake Halstatt. Make sure that you book a room with a view of the Lake. The boat that tours the Lake is on the property, and is not that expensive. The rooms were very clean, the staff was very helpful and the breakfast was typical European - plentiful.

Room Tip: Pay the 10 Euro extra for a room with a view. You will have a balcony to enjoy the view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Came here in March 2012, off season, alone. Stumbled on the place after coming up to the area w/o any reservations. Stayed 4 nights. Could not have been happier. "Ollie" was front desk guy when I checked in, smiling, helpful, very nice. Room was small, but spotless clean. Balcony was tremendous, but small, even for hotel standards. View was right out of Walt Disney, the Sound of Music, etc. Stunning, even on the two rainy days we had. Sunrises were incredible. Two very clean, well behaved dogs and the fat Tabby who was the real owner of the property. (I'm a cat guy...) Bed was passable, I slept OK, but no complaints. Can't speak to the noise during summer, but it was tomb-quiet when I was there. Internet was great, very reliable; cell phone coverage was very good on Verizon. There are no phones in the rooms.

I'm saving the best for last; DINNER! I'm assuming during the off-season staffing is at a minimum and Candida, the owner, was chief cook and probably bottle washer. I got the Schnetzel "Kase mit Schinken und onion sauce" HOLY CRAP! It was the best meal I had on my 3-week trip. Amazing to say the least. Salads were fresh and very tasty... the ice cream was off the charts good, but I'm told it was the grocery store brand "Eskimo" which is common in Austria grocery stores. WOW! I asked her if she cooks like this at home and she said "Yeah, no big deal..." She was kind of perplexed I was so effusive with my praise... but I had two dinners in the cafe and both were excellent.

It wasn't perfect, no hotel is; small stuff. There was no shower curtain in my bathroom, so I just did without and mopped up the water on the floor, no big deal. TV was very tiny and way up on the ceiling, I didn't use it hardly. But for the price, and I mean a RIDICULOUSLY low price, I was completely happy. For you Americans, you will not believe this kind of property is such a good deal. Lakeside, views, 5 minutes from Hallstatt, 5 minutes from Freeride Arena Krippensteinin ski resort, a beginner hill for the most part, and with summer lifts to the high country hiking trails... Ollie and Candida both speak very good English. You'll love it if you can reconcile small rooms. It's crammed in with two other similar hotels, kind of in the back from the road, hard to find. Pay attention to the signs.

Room Tip: I only saw one, the one I stayed at,
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Obertraun
Dormio Resort Obertraun
#2 of 4 in Obertraun
Apartment Hotel Seerose
Apartment Hotel Seerose
#4 of 11 in Obertraun

Been to Hotel Haus Am See? Share your experiences!