“Disappointing”

Dining options: Reservations
Holsbeek, Belgium
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I discovered Couvert Couvert somewhat 14 years ago. In those times the restaurant didn't have a Michelin star and was for me the best restaurant ever around Leuven area...immaculate combination of taste and flavors, wonderful dishes, refined food and always something new. Overall I visited the restaurant 5 to 6 times before the Michelin Star. This year I went back, it has been maybe 8 years since I visited them.To really enjoy the dinner I saved up for a dinner with selected wines. Because the restaurant has a Michelin Star the prices are for me rather high but then again worth it if it is good. They have adjusted the interior which was brighter, lighter colors but decorated as so many others would do. Before the interior was more special and warmer certainly during cold winter dinners. I'm afraid to say that the speciality was also lost in the food. We selected a 6 course dinner and first we received the appetizers. We had no clue it were the appetizers and were even afraid we started already with the menu since with every appetizer they explained it as being a "dish". The appetizers were good of taste, the one a bit better than the other one and there was even one without taste but all only one bite small. Now for appetizers I don't mind that it's a spoon-big-bite, even if it is presented in a big bowl. After that the main dishes arrived. The overall impression of the dishes was that there is still that hint of good combination of flavors but the dishes are very small. In a main dish you get like a 10 cm long, 4 cm wide fish, a vegetable next to it and on the side a bit of salad. You cut with your knife 4 times and it is gone, the same for the second main dish. And that's the overall disappointment....before you can really enjoy the flavors, the good combination and before you can really take it in, it's gone. It's like they just want to tease you, enjoy but not too much. And it was the same for the dessert. I'm a real dessert lover and I felt kept hanging, nothing too special, something with an ice cream and the second with sorbet. I'm not saying it was bad, not at all, they still know what they are doing and it is very tasty but if you have to pay nearly 300 Euro for 2 people for dishes that keep you hanging and where you feel you haven't been able to go through the whole taste pallet then I'm sorry they don't score for me. After our visit we mentioned our disappointment to other friends and family and they all agreed, it hasn't been what it used to be and having a Michelin Star seems to create the feeling of serving major dishes with 2 bites of food. So I guess next time I celebrate my birthday I think I will try Arenberg or Trente on advice of good friends.

• Visited August 2013

Liege, Belgium
“A soso main-dish surrounded with delicious small tastes”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

It is a good restaurant and might be on its way to perfection. The setting is nice in the back of a house of a non-insipiring flemish street. It has a terrace which unfortunately we could not use due to even more un-inspiring weather. Inside the linen-clothed tables with swedish style chairs are seated widely apart, so you feel private in your conversation.
The dinner started with multiple mini-appetizers, a lovely variety of tastes and colors. The entrée and main course (both fish) - though very fresh and tasteful - just lacked that little extra of variation in its tastes that we had discovered with the appetizers. Somehow the tastes did not come out.
We skipped desert and went for a tea which was accompanied by a set of mini-deserts. Here again the variety of tastes and flavors came out again. Positive overall, but maybe we should have gone for the menu instead of à la carte to get a broader variety in stead of the slightly bulky main-dish.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank swissrena
“Superb Michelin food for a special occasion”
Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure to come here recently after being external examiner of a PhD thesis at a local university (one of the best in Belgium; the candidate passed too) as part of a group of 8. WHAT AN EVENING!!!

The restaurant is exceptional, full choices of indoor or outdoor dining, a warm professional welcome, clear views into the kitchen and a calm minimalist atmosphere throughout. After champagne aperitifs, we sat back and allowed ourselves to enjoy everything on the seasonal tasting menu and the accompanying beautifully paired wines. Following a warm up of three different mini starters, we had our real starter, then an amazing lightly smoked freshwater fish from Lake Geneva (Fera du lac Léman), followed by an exceptional Dorado (lighted relative of tuna). We then had some wonderful lamb from France (almost as good as Irish lamb) and a series of desserts, each better than the last!

A night to remember, both for the company as well as the superb, superb food!

Visited May 2013
Brussels
“Best value in Belgium”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This is a marvelous restaurant. It has one Michelin star which means it's still affordable, but the quality of food and wine beats almost everything I've had in Belgium (including a series of two star and one three star restauirant). There is no doubt in my mind that for a high level culinary experience, there is no better value-for-money in this country.
One reason is that both chefs started out as pastry chefs. You still notice the influence of that art in every dish: the incredibly subtlety of the taste combinations, the delicate tastes in themselves, the perfection of the "bite"...
Couvert Couvert also stands out for its food and wine pairings. I always take a menu with assorted wines here, because every single combination is a discovery. It's the heritage of their first sommelier, maybe the best in Belgium, who unfortunately started his own wine business but until recently still collaborated as an advisor.
What more can I say? An endless list of the sublime dishes I tasted here in the past? Only last time: their fantastic oysters with cucumber, a signature dish, a great combination of pork and squid with coriander, a surprising sorbet of caramelized apple and vinegar... Almost every dish I ever had here was a discovery.
The atmosphere is relaxed, the service informal and friendly but highly correct. At the risk of undermining my credibility (but I still mean it): this is a place were you just feel intensely happy at the end.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank ClemRobyns
Tildonk Belgium
“excellent over and over again”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This is defenitly a restaurant Leuven can be proud off.
This was my 5th visit here. I was there with friends, for a romantic tête à tête, and for a party. All my experiences were identical. Warm and friendly people. Excllent food and wine. Congrats tot the whole team.

• Visited February 2013