“sloppy chef, perilous” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
amsterdam
“sloppy chef, perilous”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

We went here after recommendation by a hotelowner. The location is grandiose, but the interior is not quite as nice. I asked for a stew, and it came covered with mushrooms (not mentioned on the menu). Since I am allergic to mushrooms I asked for an alternative: the waitress came back with the same bowl a minute later and said the mushrooms had only been laid on top for decoration and weren't part of the sauce. Since I haven't had any problems in many years I accepted this-- only to find out that the stew had many mushrooms mixed through. Since the colours were indistinguishable, I ate from it till I recognized the different substance. I vomited within 10 minutes thereafter in the restroom. The waitress was entirely disinterested, and I had to greatly insist that it is a very serious mistake to make. The manager (or so) came by and told me I must have a very difficult life with such a terrible allergy-- but to be fair he tried his best (offering me a tirami su on the house, not such a nice prospect after having thrown up). In the end they took my dish off the bill, we paid for the rest. Somehow--still feeling extremely nauseous & dirty after the experience--I feel they got off really easily.
The rest of the food also was not good: The bread was stonecold & not fully baked (clearly it should have been finished in the oven just before serving) and worse: the salad was sandy and contained unidentified black seedlike grains (eggs?) attached to the leaves. The cook clearly is not to be trusted here.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Jooren

Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Rude and unfriendly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

The good points : a historic building on a historic site (the important former "Commanderie" of Alden Biezen, simple but decent food.
The (very) bad points : the way we were welcomed and served, the price charged.
Really a pity that the unfriendly staff and the price which was not really value for money, spoiled the good points.

• Visited July 2011