“Late summer in Belgium”

Romantik Manoir Carpe Diem
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in De Haan
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The hotel is in a villa of the late 1930 situated.Suites give space for childeren. The part of the roos for childeren is in the Walt Diney style. Breakfirst is excellent. 500 meters from the sea and a lot of good and exellent restaurants.A very good holiday at sea. Personal is very good. Self service in the launch bar with excellent drinks. The launches are excellent

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifulle furnitured and the surroundings are quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank gerritsenadvies
There are newer reviews for Romantik Manoir Carpe Diem

Reviewed 17 August 2012

After a wonderful short stay last winter we returned to Carpe Diem for another short stay this August. What a deception it turned out to be. The room we got was nicely decorated and had a nice little terrace, but upon entering the room, we discovered that the bathroom floor was sticky and we found a crumbled paper napkin with eaten cherries in it under the curtain. Not very clean!

During the day we enjoyed the lovely Belgian coast, but upon returning to our room to change for dinner, we were met by a horrible smell, like we were entering a sewer. After we alerted the management, they confirmed the horrible smell and, although they couldn't explain where it came from, offered to clean our bathroom again. We ran the taps, because we thought that might reduce the smell and after that showered and changed in this horrible smell and went for a lovely dinner. Upon return that night were met by a new smell: chlorine. After airing the room, we slept with the sliding doors open.

Upon leaving the hotel the next morning mr Deryckere himself was there. He never brought up the incident by himself and when we informed him of our inconvenience we never got an excuse. No, he just informed us that he had gotten three people involved, that he never, never had this smell before in his hotel, and that our room must have been smelling like that because we had kept the room closed up during the day. (We had to, because the room only has sliding doors and when you leave them open, anybody can come into your room) So, basically, mr Dereykere informed us that we were the ones smelling. What a nice way to treat your guests. No excuses, no understanding or compassion for our inconvenience and telling us that what a bother we were, a smelling one as well. Because, as he said, he could tell us what he wanted and we wouldn 't believe him anyway, but that was that! Well, we will certainly keep coming the De Haan, but not to this hotel that treats guests like that!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Ilse V
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This was the first hotel I saw in a guide and I booked it on the phone, then panicked that it might not be that great. How wrong I was. I booked a family room for myself, my husband and 3 young children. We have 2 rooms in the attic of a steep roofed property so there was plenty of room to walk about, (my husband it 6'8) the 2 rooms were linked via the beautiful bathroom with large bath and a fantastic shower. The design was impeccable. The staff were so friendly. The breakfast was delicious with yummy fresh bread, fruit, eggs. Having never been the the Belgium coast before I did not know what to expect, but it's beautiful. The sand is clean, I'm not sure you can swim in the sea, but it was March so I didn't try!!! There are some great little restaurants along the front. We were only there for 1 night and the second day we went to Bruge. I hadn't been since I was a child and I have to say I was blown away by it's beauty. We took a canal boat tour and it was the perfect way to get a quick view of the beautiful city.

Room Tip: We had an attic room which was wonderful, but I sneaked a peak and all rooms look lovely
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank calsky
Reviewed 13 January 2012

take a bicycle and visit the countryside, ask for a suite location under the roof which is wonderfull, a great cosy place to stay, read a book and feel at home

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank roosje188644
Reviewed 13 September 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Carpe Diem for four nights with two of our friends and had a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. In my opinion, the thing that sets this hotel apart is the obvious pride that the owners, Patrick and Claudine, put into the hotel, along with the personal touches and charm that can only result from the fact that they are there every day running the property. It was refreshing and nice to see Patrick about during the day and Claudine greeting everyone at breakfast each morning. Staying at the Carpe Diem reminded me a little of staying at a friend's country house or at a country gentlemen's club, though a little more intimate. It's touches like the honor bar in the lounge and a few tasteful photos of the owner's family.

With regard to the property, it is quite charming and our rooms seemed newly renovated and well appointed. Beds were comfortable. One thing I would have liked is a larger television and perhaps the option of some sort of DVD or movie system. The grounds are nice with a grass lounge chair area as well as an outdoor pool and a terrace with chairs and tables in front. Breakfast was delicious each morning with lovely service on linens and silver. One could get spoiled with that type of treatment each morning.

Perhaps we were lucky, but we found ourselves to be almost the only ones in the bar/lounge area each night. This is a small intimate room, so if it was crowded could be less pleasant. But with regard to the previous review mentioning smoke, there is another "library" room just as nice that one could drink/lounge in adjacent.

For anyone reading this who is unfamiliar with the area- De Haan is a beach resort town, but we were taken by surprise at the cold temperature and whipping winds of this North Sea coast. Let's just say the end of August in De Haan reminded me of being at the beach in New England in Autumn.

We also had a lovely dinner at Casanova on the boardwalk and maybe the best waffles I've had in my life at the ice cream/waffle stand just next door to Casanova. Everything in De Haan is walking distance. De Haan was also an easy home base for our driving day trips to Bruges and Antwerp.

Overall would highly recommend the Carpe Diem for a relaxing getaway as long as you are comfortable with the area's weather. You may find it to be a nice alternative to staying in Bruges if you happen to be in the area. There seems to be many clientele who come back to the Carpe Diem every year for their holidays, and we were definitely the odd ducks passing through as I think few New Yorkers end up on the Belgian coast.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chrispcnyc
Reviewed 10 August 2008

There is nothing better than a small, privately run family hotel. A hotel that warmly welcomes children with charming rooms and a good central location. What a shame then to find on arrival that there was a smoking room and the smoking room was the bar. This immediately meant that, with two young children, we were excluded from the bar. What I don't understand is why the smokers have the privilege of being able to smoke in the bar when they are clearly in the minority (2 during our stay). The position of the bar, meant that the smell of smoke was the first thing you noticed on arrival and the first thing you noticed when coming down in the morning. The pool at the hotel is lovely (though note that children under 8 won't be able to stand) and the breakfasts are really fantastic. The owners are very friendly and have done a great job, and we hope that on our next visit, the smoke will have disappeared!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mcloughlin
Reviewed 29 June 2008

Small but beautiful boutique hotel with special attention for interior details. The location is an ideal starting point to go for bicycle rides to Brugge (20 to 25 km) or alongside the coast line. Don't forget to visit Diksmuide or Ieper (Ypres) and its war graves.
There's a heated swimmingpool. You can only have breakfast in the hotel, so for other meals you will have to go look for a restaurant in the neighbourhood. The concierge will help you with that if you like, but if you can, try to make reservations with "l'Espérance" or "Rabelais" as they are probably two of the best restaurants of De Haan.
Staff and owners are extremely kind en polite and do whatever they can to make your stay pleasant. There's a smoking and non-smoking "honesty" bar where you can rest from your trips you did during the day. Don't forget to ask the owner to see the very large war bunker that is hidden next to the hotel and used as a garage for bikes etc.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Mr_Peeters