“Four details away from excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Apropos - CLOSED

Apropos
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations, Waitstaff
Ghent, Belgium
“Four details away from excellent”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

A party of six on a calm Saturday winter evening in a cozy villa-style restaurant. The conversation was so engaging that I often forgot to focus on my evaluation. Our friend Eric chose this restaurant, so I will be cautious with negative - although constructive - remarks.
All by all a very positive experience. Friendly welcome, more than decent food (risky lobster but interesting combination of tastes), warm interior decoration, efficient service. So why I am still reluctant to give five stars?
Well, many readers (hi, Patrice!) might disagree and state I am old-fashioned, yes, but still I am entitled to my own opinion, so here I go:

- we had to choose the desert upon ordering our meal: not done.
- we had to choose the same North Sea menu for the entire table, while it appeared to be very easy to make combination with the other menu. Staff was very flexible though with the accompanying wines.
- they started preparing tables for the next day as soon as clients had left: not done.

These three remarks gave us the feeling that they considered their own organization far more important than six new clients who potentially could have come back regularly for the rest of their lives. This restaurant has achieved a certain level and simply refuses to climb higher ...

All this confirmed by the lack of personal interest: no effort was made to ensure nor to inquire if we would be able or interested to come back. Ok, got the message.

• Visited January 2014