“A lovely, restful retreat in the country”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Esvres
Chateau de la Villaine
Reviewed 22 December 2013

What can I say that hasn't already been said. Joke and Adrien are wonderful hosts, the Chateau is charming and beautiful, the meals were outstanding, and the whole experience was such a treat. We stayed for 2 nights and were lucky enough to have Joke's amazing dinner both nights (one of them on Thanksgiving), and this is really my fondest memory of our entire trip.

I can't thank Adrien enough for his patience with us before our stay through email communication, and in providing assistance once we arrived. Not having to worry about planning the details of each day in the Loire Valley was such a luxury! It really was like staying with good friends and we are thankful that we were able to be a part of this special place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Chateau in October as part of our 6 week travel throughout France, Italy and Spain for our 2 year anniversary.

Although a little difficult to find (it does not come up on the GPS!), once we found the chateau, we were so thoroughly impressed and felt like home.

Adrian was very welcoming and hospitable as was his wife Joke. Our room was spacious and clean with a large balcony. Adrian was very helpful recommending a restaurant in the nearby village of Cormery for dinner which was AMAZING.

Adrian also helped planned a 2 day "highlights" itinerary of the region which was perfect.

On our second night, Joke invited all the guests to dinner in the lovely dining room where she cooked a three course dinner for us. She is a wonderful cook and explained all the dishes before we ate. After travelling for so many weeks, it was lovely to have a wholesome home cooked meal. What made it more special was that we shared the evening with the other guests who were all lovely.

We want to thank Adrian and Joke for their hospitality and for making our stay in the Loire Valley special and we can't wait to return!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013

It was very sad to leave the Chateau and hosts Adrian & Joke who were wonderful. We had a beautiful room on the 1st floor with a huge rooftop balcony overlooking the old barn and gardens. Breakfast was included in the tarriff and booking for dinner essential. The food was superb and the dinner divine. A lovely tradition is that no one begins to eat until Joke tells us about the course that she has just served. Adrian is a wealth of knowledge and we respected his judgement and advice in where to go, when to go, and what to see. It was lovely to join other guests at the one huge dining table and enjoy the company of other travellors especially when not in a group. This truly was one of the highlights of 5 weeeks of travelling.

Room Tip: All rooms would be beautiful I am sure
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My partner and I stayed at this amazing Chateau for 4 nights and it honestly made our whole trip unforgettable. Adrian and Joke made us feel as if we were family staying in their house. Adrian planned out all our days for us at breakfast each morning- driving through the countryside of France, going through the most beautiful little towns, wine tasting at the most charming wineries, and seeing the most unbelievable Chateau's the Loire has to offer. Because he knows the Loire Valley so well, he knew exactly what we would appreciate- and we couldn't thank him enough!

We had the privilege to be there 2 of the nights that Yoke was cooking dinner and we were speechless... The 4 courses and wine were so exquisite, she has a true talent and they are both so humble! We sat at the dining table with Yoke, Adrian and the other guests, which was so beautifully intimate and shared stories of our countries and trips.

We stayed in the Comtesse room, it was so charming! Opened up to a huge terrace overlooking the garden and the garden house (which is bigger than my own house!). Every time we left the room when we came back it was spotless! And that's the thing Adrian and Yoke do EVERYTHING themselves. They are the bell boy, the gardener, the receptionist, the cleaner, the chef! They do such an amazing job and I really can't wait to return!!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We spent 2 nights at Chateau de la Villaine earlier this month. We stayed in the Empire Room which is on the ground floor. The room was huge and beautiful. There were French doors out to the veranda with a beautiful view. Adrian was a great host and gave helpful suggestions on where to go and routes to get there. But the best part of our stay was the meals. The first night we had dinner at la Villaine which was one the best meals we have ever had. Dinner is served in the dinning room lit only by candles. There were only two couples and our hosts at the dinning room table. The food was amazing, better than some very expensive restaurants we ate at in Paris. A different wine was served with each course to complement the food. If you stay here, you MUST eat here. Breakfast is not as gourmet, but still a great experience, talking with other guests and comparing notes on sightseeing in the area. The only negative thing I can say is that they are a bit difficult to find and off the beaten path. But you can call them from your car and they will be happy to direct you.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband and I just spend 3 wonder-filled days last month here. I still ask if I dreamt this and if I didn't, why didn't I spend more days there? We stayed in the Chambre Empire, and if you want to have an enchanted chateau stay, by all means stay here. I truly believe that the most delicious meal I had on our trip through France was experienced in Joke and Adrian's table. It was the whole experience, the attention to detail, the candlelit room, our perfect hosts, I can't say enough. Suffice it to say that this is a place I wish to return to, but for a longer period of time. This will be our home base to tour the marvelous Loire valley. May this place retain its charm and we wish to congratulate these wonderful owners. Don't dream of a true chateau experience, live it!

Room Tip: Choose the Empire room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susy P
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed at Chateau de la Villaine for three nights in early October. The chateau is run by a lovely couple Adrian and Joke who made our stay very pleasurable. We stayed in the Empire Room on the first floor, which was beautifully decorated. We took advantage of the dining experience that they offer a few nights a week and had a wonderful meal. The nice thing was that Joke prepared the meal and was able to eat with us, making it more of a "family" type experience. Upon our arrival, Adrian asked us what we wanted to see in the Loire Valley then mapped out an ideal itinerary, which we followed. Staying at the chateau was a wonderful way to start our 30th anniversary trip through France.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Chateau de la Villaine? Share your experiences!