“Loved the food but not the room!”
Review of Hotel d'Evreux

Hotel d'Evreux
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vernon
Hotel d'Evreux
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Vernon
Brisbane
“Loved the food but not the room!”
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We stayed in Vernon so we could go to Monet’s Garden in Giverny which, by the way, was superb – a must on everyone’s itinerary! We hired bicycles (14Euros for the day each from the Pub outside the train station) and rode the 14km to Giverny and back along a good off-road walking/cycling track.
The Hotel D’Evreux is located in the Town Centre and within walking distance from the train station and handy to the sights of the town and the River Seine. It is an ancient manor which belonged to the Count of Evreux in the 18th century and the creaks and groans of the old building are a testament to this! The Hotel has a restaurant which is absolutely superb – fine dining at its best – and even if you don’t stay at the Hotel, dinner at this restaurant, Le Relais Normand, should not be missed.
The Hotel itself is a charming old building and the decor in the restaurant, bar and sitting areas is very comfortable and compliments the historic nature of the building. The rooms, although very clean, are old style with a saggy old bed and sad linen – the pillow on the double bed was a single narrow roll across the top of the bed and couldn’t be moved (it may be common in old places, but I haven’t come across this before). The shower in the bathroom was a small plastic cubicle with a timber slat floor. It was extremely difficult to shower in, so small that you couldn’t turn around without touching the walls or inadvertantly bumping the tap off and the shower curtain was so long it hung outside the shower recess. The hand basin and toilet were fine.
I suppose that we didn’t pay a massive amount for the room but it was a disappointment nonetheless. I would certainly eat there again but I don’t think I could recommend the rooms even at the relatively modest tariff of 55Euros a night.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Talent
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We chose this hotel for two one-night stays because of traveler reviews, and because we thought it would be fun to stay in an 18th Century aristocrat's home. We loved this place. The owners are friendly and helpful. The hotel is located in the middle of town, a 5-minute walk from the train station, where there are also buses going to and from the Monet sites in Giverny.

The rooms are charming, furnished with old wooden furniture in keeping with the age of the hotel. Our room rate was only 38 Euros/night; rooms with complete bathrooms are 54/night.

The stand-out feature of this hotel is its restaurant, where we enjoyed the two best meals that we had in three weeks in France. Each of us ordered the 21-Euro set menu. The first time, I had starters of cod and salmon rillettes, along with a green salad and cherry tomatoes. The main course was sirloin steak with a cream cheese sauce, along with potatoes and a cooked carrot dish. The dessert was a "soft white chocolate cake with a red center." Besides being delicious, the presentation of all three courses was beautiful. The second time, I ordered a starter of warm lentil salad with serrano ham on the side; the main course of rabbit in mushroom sauce, along with potato and garnishes of cooked smal onion, snowpea, and a slightly steamed cherry tomato that brought out is flavor wonderfully well. For dessert, I repeated the cake. My partner ordered the same main course. He had a starter of oxtail terrine, and finished the meal with nougat ice cream. He commented that eating here is a "religious experience." Before each meal, we were served a complimentary dish of petit pois with a dollop of sour cream on top. We later asked the owner about the chef and learned that he has been there for 40 years.

If and when we return to Paris, we would make a side trip to Vernon (only 45 minutes away by train) just to experience this hotel and its amazing food again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KarenTalent_OR
limerick
Reviewed 12 August 2010

we chose to stay in this hotel based on reviews it got and thouroughly enjoyed it.
we flew into beauvais and hired a car and drove here, approx 50 miles drive through beautiful countryside. the town of vernon is worth a visit especially on saturday morning when there is a huge market. the hotel itself is an old building, full of charm inside. the bedroom was small and bathroom very basic but at only 55 euro for the night it served its purpose well. the restaurant came well recommended by previuos reviewers and it did not disappoint. on this trip to france we stayed four nights and the meal in hotel devreux was probably the best we had even compared to 4/5 star hotel we stayed in versailles, and the service too was excellent. breakfast next morning was also very good,just fresh croissants and bread and coffee before a stroll through the town and market full of fresh produce. the hotel also has a lock up car park to the rear. the hotel and town are well worth a visit if you enjoy good food.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ajjcummins
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Nice old hotel in Vernon. Comfortable stay. The restaurant is great. Great service, good menu and fantastic affordable wine. The little bar beside the restaurant is fabulous but the after dinner drinks are, unlike the rest of the amenities, overpriced.

About 10 minutes from the Claude Monet attractions

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tinnpusher
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2010

On my most recent trip to Vernon ( a town I visit often due to my teenage daughter and her mother living there ) I decided to try out the cuisine at the Hotel Evereux , based on the previous writers review. When I read the menus Including Set Menus of 23euros and 31euros , I was hooked but also dismayed to find that I could have had a room for 1 or 2 persons for a mere 37euros per night ( almost certainly an off peak rate ). The reason for my dismay was that I had just spent 4 nights at a " Travel Lodge " type Motel a half hours drive away, for a cost of 38euros per night which , although very clean and adequate , had nothing of the charm of this hostelry , situated right in the middle of Vernon . Although I have not , as yet , stayed overnight in the Hotel Evereux and cannot comment on the rooms etc , if the dining experience is anything to go by , I would not expect to be disappointed . We elected for the 23 euro set meal and ordered 3 different starters ( mussels in cider , escargot in garlic butter and a Rabbit Pate salad ) all of which were excellent . All three of us choose the Sirloin Steak with a delicious cheese sauce but other options included a salmon dish which sounded very tempting . The main courses also were excellent and washed down by a delightfully fruity and fresh Rose wine . the selection of desserts were delicious and served as a work of art I neglected to mention the complimentary little cups of cold cucumber and tomato soup which we were presented with whilst awaiting our first course ( which I alone found to be a fascinating mixture of flavours ) . All this plus a whiskey and a coke came to exactly 100 euros , a price you could easily pay for such splendid food for one person if you were dining in a big city trendy eaterie. I am looking forward to my next trip ,after which I will be happy to post a review on the actual accomodation , but in the meantime .... bon appetit .

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank gastrometer
UK
Reviewed 22 March 2010

The Hotel d'Evreux is an old fashion small hotel in Vernon, France. It's nice enough but very simple, old style wooden furniture in the rooms, dated bathroom - if you're after a luxurious swanky hotel this is probably not the one for you.

You have got to try the restaurant though, its absolutely fantastic! Went for a set menu and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Have a drink at the bar first and lovely canapes will suddenly appear. When you're ready to eat, your choice of wine will be waiting for you at your table. The cuisine s excellent and the service is just perfect. Do try the local specialities, you won't regret it (if you've got a sweet tooth I'd recommend the "bourdin aux pommes").

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HappyFroggy
Switzerland
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We stayed one night which was plenty for us, as we were going to see Monet's garden and house the following day. The staff was friendly as well as the black lab that greeted us at the door. The room could have been taken care of a bit more, their were cracks in the ceiling, and the room itself smelled old. I think for such an historic place they could have mainted the rooms better (well at least our room), maybe the other rooms were nicer. We didn't eat dinner there, as we are picky eaters, and snails and frogs are not in our food vocabulary, especially with a 3 year old! But I guess from other reviews the food is excellent. The breakfast was average, hot chocolate, crossiants, etc. There were quite a few people eating breakfast that morning so I guess quite a few people stay there.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Hotel Normandy
#2 of 5 in Saint-Marcel
Le Jardin des Plumes
Le Jardin des Plumes
#1 of 2 in Giverny

Been to Hotel d'Evreux? Share your experiences!