“Dreadful”
Review of Hotel Normandy

Hotel Normandy
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Fawlty Towers has been reborn here - dreadful food and service. Rooms were dated, basic and have no air conditioning. A must in 30 degree temperatures. Rooms facing noisy road with loud music playing from bar opposite. Located centrally and near for Monet gardens but this is poor value for money -Avoid

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel are less noisy
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fryston

Reviewed 30 July 2013

On arrival the receptionist was very helpful and friendly, gave us the wifi codes, told us how to park in the underground car park and told us that we could get drinks in the lounge 24/7.

Our room was large and the bed was very comfortable, however, it was all pretty basic and in my opinion the 3 stars are for the lounge area and size of the room, not for anything else. I have stayed in 2 star hotels that are 20-25 euros per night cheaper with breakfast being 3-4 euros cheaper which are actually better. The cost of the room was 86 euros and it would have been an additional 21 euros had we chosen to have breakfast, making it over 100 euros per night and it certainy wasn't worth that.

After a long hot drive up from Burgundy we freshened up and headed off to the lounge area which looked extremely comfortable to sit and read our books and enjoy a drink.

We got downstairs at 6pm and as there was no one around my husband wandered into the bar to order a drink. H was told very abruptly that the bar did not open until 7pm and he could not have a drink until then. So much for 24/7, which I later discovered was only for soft drinks but the barman didn't even ask what we wanted. It was pouring with rain outside so we decided not to venture out but to sit and wait. The lounge slowly filled up with a coach party, also wanting drinks. At around 6.50 the receptionist then doubled up as a drinks waiter and came round taking orders, starting the other side of the room from us, although he had seen us sitting there since 6pm. My husband decided that if we waited for waiter service it would be an eternity for our parched throats to wait. So at 2 minutes to 7 he went into the bar again. Again the manager told him that the bar didn't open until 7 and that he must go into the lounge to order his drinks. This bar has doors onto the street and it advertised as a "pub" and is open to non-residents, the lounge isn't. So my husband said he would wait the two minutes until 7pm but would then like to be served in the bar. The barman refused. My husband in the end stood there and had to have the following conversation:

"is this a bar?"
"yes"
"Do you sell drinks?"
"Yes"
"can I please buy a drink?"
"No, you have to order from the lounge"
"Are you serving people from off the street?"
"Yes"
"Then I'm not moving until you serve me a drink......PLEASE"

He got his drinks but the barman refused to pour them himself and got a waitress, who was laying up tables to do it for him.

We later came back for dinner (only because the restaurant in town that I had booked had decided to close unexpectedly and ignore our booking!)

The restaurant was absolute mayhem with one waitress and one waiter trying to serve about 70 people. We waited 30 minutes for a menu - I would have walked out but by then it was 8.45, I was starving and I doubted we would find anywhere else. The couple at the next table were waiting for one dessert, the waitress had brought one, in one hand and then disappeared and they had to wait over 30 minutes for the 2nd dessert to be brought to the table.

We then decided to have the cheapest things on the menu because we had read bad reviews but in fairness, although the service was atrocious, the food was actually pretty good!

When I say the service was atrocious, the staff were friendly enough but I don't believe they could possibly have had the usual rigourous college training that French waiting staff usually have and they certainly needed more help, which I blame on the management, knowing that they had a coach party of some 60 Brits, as well as other hotel guests, they should perhaps have not allowed the restaurant to be open to non-residents as well. The manager, although much more amenable once dinner service had died down, had no organisational skills whatsoever.

It appears that these coach parties are a regular feature at this hotel so surely by now they should be able to cope a little better.

Something beyond the hotel's control but you may wish to bear in mind; it was a hot night with no AC so having a window open was vital. There was a loud karaoke bar across the street and the hotel is next to the hospital so there were a lot of sirens going too.

I would not stay here, or in fact in Vernon again, if I were in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally B
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Vernon is a small, unassuming town with not much to do, but provides a pleasant night's stay for visitors to Giverny nearby. The parish church is worth a visit. The Hotel Normandy is clean and convenient, and good value for money for visitors passing through. All the staff on the desk are pleasant and helpful and the hotel is very efficient. The downside is the hotel restaurant next door - service is appalling and the staff indifferent to customers. When we attempted to eat there, we were told very ordinary dishes such as tuna salad were 'off the menu' - with a shrug of the shoulders and a roll of eyes. We would recommend the Hotel Normandy, but eat somewhere else, or starve!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We spent one night in this hotel as part of a tour group. Our room was a reasonable size, clean and comfortable and the hotel is well situated to stroll into the pretty town of Vernon. Dinner in the restaurant was good with a reasonable selection to choose from although with only 2 rather harassed staff on duty service was slow. Breakfast was good with bacon, sausage and scrambled egg in addition to Continental selection.

Room Tip: If visiting in summer avoid a south facing room as there is no air conditioning and rooms can be VER...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank traveller1919
Reviewed 21 July 2013

It is a nice hotel, well located, nearby River Seine.The staff is very helpful and friendly. the girl at reception did not have a good English, but she did a very effort to speak and she was lovely. Intercontinental breakfast and a pleasant garden for meals. Good and clean room and bathroom. Easy to reach the train station, walking.

Room Tip: I was on the 4th floor and I did not have problem with noises.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This review is of the restaurant, not the hotel which we found acceptable.
We had pre-ordered a bottle of wine as an aperitif. We sat down with other guests at 19.55 and asked for the wine. Our food order was eventually taken after two requests at 20.25.
The starter arrived at 21.00. We requested bread three times and it arrived with a shrug of the shoulders after we had finished our starters. The wine (our aperitif!) arrived at approximately the same time. The main course was served at 21.30, one hour and thirty five minutes after we had sat down! Three guests were served and then the waitress went and cleared other tables whilst the rest of us were waiting!!
I forget at what time the dessert was served.
The waitresses were surly and went about like headless chickens, going into the kitchen with nothing in their hands and coming out with nothing in their hands!!
Take my advice - stay there but don't eat there!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JackCotterill
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is a typical French hotel, room was clean and comfortable. As it is right in the center of town it did get noisy early in the morning. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There was an English coach party in so restaurant was busy - hubby had the 'Formula' which was quick and very good, I ordered off the a la carte which was well worth waiting for. At breakfast there was some bacon, ham, pastries, fruit and cereal but no cheese or eggs.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
La Musardiere
Les Canisses
Les Canisses
#1 of 2 in Le Goulet
Les Bords de Seine Hotel-Restaurant

Been to Hotel Normandy? Share your experiences!