“Great Decor but So-So Service”

Hotel Bastide de Lourmarin
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lourmarin
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The hotel is a short walk from the charming center of Lourmarin with it's shops and cafes. It's free parking is safe and secure. The hotel has a spa-like ambience, the room decor is attractive and the room was spacious (for Europe). The shower configuation, although attractive, wasn't functional and left puddles on the bathroom floor. The restaurant was overpriced....a 6 euro supplement was charged for green beans! And although I ordered the daily special specifically because it was served with risotto, when my main dish was served solo (but with an unordered vegetable supplement), I was told that the risotto would take 20 minutes to cook.....so I dined slowly, waiting for the 20 minute risotto only to discover that the chef had no intention of preparing it! Save your money and have a better meal in town.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Temuskia

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Location of the hotel is very good. Rooms are a bit over the top and impractical.The restaurant is dark and not inviting.The menu is short and half french half moroccan.The girl was friendly , the boy was incompetent (still learning?)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donaldtravel
Reviewed 16 January 2012

During our tour of Provence/French Riviera in late December,we stayed at 7 different hotels and this one,by far, had the strangest rules.

1- When we arrived around 2:30 PM, we found the door locked with a notice saying that reception would be closed till 4PM! The restaurant was closed too, no one in sight and there was no possibility of leaving our luggage to go to the village(This place is at the edge of the village).What is worst, I had to use a bathroom fast.. In desperation, I banged on the door repeatedly and finally a maid showed up and let us in. We had made the reservation through Booking Com and the check-in was shown on the reservation confirmation as 2:30-9:30 PM. I had called the hotel to reconfirm about 10 days earlier and 4PM was not mentioned.

2- After 9 PM, all entry doors are only code operated. Make double sure you do not lose the 1" x 1.5" paper they give you with the code otherwise you are in serious trouble.

3- Later on we found out that even to go out, before 7AM,(which we had to), one has to take the parking exit and input the code to open the gate. Unfortunately the code pad area was not illuminated and it is very dark before 7AM. Fortunately we had a small flashlight with battery at nearly at the end of its life! More excitement. It is interesting to note that when we came out around 6AM next morning, all 3 doors were open,no need to input the code!!!

4- Since there is no employee on the premises at night, we were given a phone number to call in case of an emergency. Since I had called the hotel earlier for confirmation, I recognized the number as the number of the hotel. Since there would not be anyone to answer in reception, I asked if the call would be forwarded to another number. Yes, I was told, to managers cellular phone. I asked why we are not given the cellular number to start with. The answer was that the manager does not want his/her number given out unnecessarily. I insisted to get the cellular number and got it.

5- Then I saw a notice in the room that says that, to make an outside call, you have to call the
front desk to get an outside line authorization. The question was, in case of an emergency, to call the cellular number, you have to call the front desk to get an outside line, but there is nobody at the front desk during the night! I was told that I can always go to the front desk and use their phone to call the emergency phone! Since it would be difficult to go to front office if someone is trying to break in to your room in the middle of the night, this approach did not sound practical. The lady suggested that we can use our cellphone, but I told her that most US phones, including ours, do not work in European GSM system. Apparently the management was worried about customers making international calls and leaving without paying. We pointed out that that is why they have our credit card number. Finally she agreed to give us an outside line connection!

5- This is a three star hotel with too many strange rules, at least around the date we stayed . We paid 110 Euros and the breakfast was 15 Euros which we did not eat. Although the rooms were good, there must be lower priced places without these weird rules. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ryokogasuki
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stay in this hotel every year. We do this for a reason....it is a peaceful, relaxing, tasetful and quite chic boutique hotel in the middle of a most beautiful part of Provence. Lourmarin is a dream and is like a mini-Paris. The hotel is on the outskirts and has all the amenities you could need. The rooms are all individually decorated and are very attractive. All have air-con which is so difficult to find sometimes in that part of France. The pool is freezing (!) but does the job! Breakfast is generous and was served this year by one of the nicest people we have ever met in Provence. She is a real asset to the place..just wish I had gotten her name. This hotel is perfect and you will not be disappointed. We have stayed there annually since it opened and always base our trip around a few nights here.

Room Tip: make sure you get first floor room with a balcony
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IrelandMariaG
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Hotel Bastide is located 200m walk from the centre of the village of Lourmarin. We were thrilled with our room, which was one of the 'Chambres Ambiance' rooms (our room was called 'de la Romantique' and when we are next back in Lourmarin, we will be asking for the same room - it was Brilliant). Our room was in very new condition, very clean, comfortable and about 30m2 in size (which is huge by French standards). While we did not dine at the hotel, as there are plenty of great restaurants to choose from in the village, the hotel did have a nice pool side bar. I am suprised that this hotel is only rated 3 stars. I would have thought 4 stars was more appropriate.

The hotel, and Lourmarin in particular, serves as a great base for exploring Provences picturesque Lubron Valley region. Some great nearby towns to explore, which are within 40 min drive of Lourmarin, include Gordes, Bonnieux, Roussllion. While we did spend time in these towns, Lourmarin was definently our favourite. It has a real village feel to it, but has a lot more to chose from by way of boutique shops, cafes and great restaurants (including a 2 star Michelion located 5 min outside the village).

The only downside to the hotel was that when they did our laundry service, they shrunk all my t-shirts! While this was annoying, it will not stop us from returning...we will just not be using their laundry service again.

All in all, Hotel Bastide offers great value for money, provides very comfortable, spacious rooms in picturesque surroundings and is located in what we consider to be the best village in Provence - Lourmarin. We highly recommend this hotel.

Thank you for a memorable stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bleeker79
Reviewed 28 December 2009

My husband and I stopped here for two nights during our honeymoon. We purchased the "Romantic escapade" package for the first night which included our room and dinner and drinks for two at their restaurant-lounge. The experience was very special. Each room has a different theme: Buddha, Coco, Serenity, Romantic, Artist's Studio, Oriental, 1950's, etc. (my translations of the room names). We stayed in the "Romantic" on the second floor. It was a small but evocative room with a 4 post bed covered with layers and layers of beautiful, soft, white linens. The feel of the decor was neither solely modern nor old farmhouse, but a mix of both with just a sprinkle of something slightly tropical (old Indonesian?). The room had a beautiful balcony with a view of the pool and castle in the distance. The restaurant-lounge is downstairs near the pool, romantically lit and lounge-y. When we walked in for our dinner, the owner/manager welcomed us and made us feel quite special asking if my husband was Ben Harper and I was Monica Bellucci!! We did feel like stars and Hotel Bastide looks like somewhere where you would imagine stars to stay when they vacation in Provence. After dinner we moved to the bar and chatted and shared bottles of excellent Rose with some fancy locals.

The location is walking distance (quite close) to the town center but at the same time is just enough outside so that it is very quiet and has its own parking. The pool area looks beautiful but when we went at the end of March it was still just a little too chilly to swim. We'll just have to go back when it's warmer! Because of curiosity, I don't usually stay in the same place twice, but this is one hotel I will definitely return to.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EkinOak
Reviewed 29 June 2009

went there for a wedding in June. In a really nice region of France, owners have made this place a special one to stay for a fews days or more. Have not tried the restaurant, but they were in charge of catering for the wedding and this was just great and refreshing food. Home made Margarita got a great success too. All rooms have their own theme and set to a fairly high standard for a 3 star hotel. great Value for mony definitely.

• Stayed: June 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lourmarin
Moulin de Lourmarin
Domaine de Fontenille
Hostellerie Le Paradou
Hostellerie Le Paradou
#3 of 3 in Lourmarin

Been to Hotel Bastide de Lourmarin? Share your experiences!